1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want a 5 Speed Regular Cab, worried about power... Please Advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ralston, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Ralston

Ralston [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    I live at 9,500'. I use my truck to go play (ski, fish, climb, 4x4, bike, camp etc.) and daily commute 20 miles/day on mt. highways. I never tow or carry loads greater than 350 lbs. I drive safe and slow, and I am that guy everyone passes.

I had a 2010 4x4 SR5 5-speed Access Cab with the 2.7. I felt its engine was weak, and was unsure about having a manual tranny. so I upgraded.

I now have a 2013 4x4 TRD OR Automatic Access Cab with the 4.0. I feel this truck has enough power, with some in reserves if needed.

Problem:
    I have been wanting a Regular Cab since the day I bought my 2010. I like the looks/proportions better. I like the smaller overall size/wheelbase/turning radius. I like the "forest trail usability/maneuverability". I like the idea of better mpg. I have never used the "backseats" of my access cabs. I have never even reclined either front seat enough to need the extra space. I like the e-locker/a-trac etc. of my TRD, but the noises they make scare the shit out of me when I use them. All I really need is 4x4 Hi/Low.

I really really want to get a Regular cab but fear the 2.7 will feel underpowered. I drive quite slow/cautiously for the most part. But I live in the rockies, drive steeper than average grades daily, and have already seen what the 2.7 can and can't do up here (in an access cab).

I am trying to find out what people think about the strength to weight ratios? Will the 5-speed Regular Cab perform like my 5-speed Access Cab? Or will the loss of weight bring it anywhere near my Automatic 4.0?

2. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I would think there wouldn't be much difference. Maybe a little but not enough to justify getting rid of the v6.

3. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    There's only 300 pounds of curb weight difference between the access cab and the regular cab.

Which is the weight you say you sometimes carry.

Sorry to say man - if you were unhappy with the 2.7 access cab's power - you'll probably be unhappy with the regular cab's power.

I don't know about colorado's pollution control laws. Perhaps you could get the regular cab and bolt on a URD supercharger.

4. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    4L without Atrac or locker is just two open diffs, you may be better off in 4H with TRAC.

5. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    There will not be much difference in power between the two cab options. 2.7 will feel under powered, but will get you where you want to go, just don't get in a hurry.

6. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    stay with the v6, you will miss it when you go back to the 2.7

7. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    The "secret" to driving the 2.7 5sp in the mountains is just to keep downshifting until it holds the speed you want to go.

With my 4.88 gears and 33" tires - I can pretty much climb any paved road at 65mph to 70mph in 3rd between 4600 and 5000 rpm.

If it's Oh-my-God steep and high elevation - well redline in 2nd still holds it a hair above 50mph.

The highest pass I regularly go over is a little above 7000 feet.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
  9. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Why not just keep your current Tacoma and enjoy it? I mean come on you really weren't happy with the 2.7 and you want a regular cab well if you want to go back then do it. Just don't come on here and moan about there not being enough power.

10. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    Ralston

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Will advise. Thank you.

11. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    ^I agree with him. If you like the V6 power you have now, why go back? I have a Reg Cab, and I think it has plenty of power, but I don't tow anything, and live in a (relatively) none hilly state. But if you like the Regular cab look, get one before there gone (unless you are buying used).

12. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    Ralston

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the ideas. If I lived anywhere else in the country, I would buy a Regular Cab in a minute. However, up here (10k') I am not convinced the 2.7 can get me around without feeling like I'm overworking it. Especially when I load it up with toys, beer, and girls. Why did they ever stop putting a V6 in the Regular Cab? How much can I get a crate V6, tranny, etc. for? Labor to do swap?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  13. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    For the price of all that, just slap a supercharger on the 2.7. Less work :)

14. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    Ralston

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    true, but I operate on principle my man.

imagine...

2015 V6 SR5 4x4 Regular Cab, All Weather Floor, Any Seats you Want!

MSRP: $25-26k

15. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I am at 7200ft regularly and climb to 10k+ quite often. It sucks but I can't and wouldn't trade it for any other truck. I am on stock gears and recently moved to 315/75 r16. 3rd gear is my best friend and 4k rpms is pretty normal with any hills. I maintain 65mph everywhere I go and that works for me. I just adjust the time I leave the house if I have an appointment to make sure I get there on time. The thing that hurts me the most is the Wyoming wind.

Honestly, if you reallllyyyy want a regular cab then get one. If it comes down to it just slap on a URD SC. I am re gearing here in a bit which will bring me back to a stock ratio. I didn't have a huge problem at stock so I will be happy there :).

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Not a lot of guys with regular cabs live at higher elevations nor do they understand the drastic loss in power. Just dropping 2k in elevation makes the truck feel like a different vehicle :cool:.

16. Apr 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    Ralston

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    I hear that. Every time I took the 2.7 down to Denver (5k') to look at V6's it made me second guess the whole idea. It was fun as heck to drive down there.

Up here, I could hold 65 in third up hill (just under 4k rpm) and 4th downhill. I don't think I ever saw 5th gear. With my V6 I rarely go above 2k rpm, yes 2k. It just felt like I was strangling the 2.7. The 4.0 doesn't even loose it's breath.

Do you think it was "bad" to run the 2.7 near redline all the time just to go places? You can't really go anywhere around here without some highway first. Highways were what I felt hurt the most...

17. Apr 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I don't think I am hurting the engine any. I don't cruise in 3rd that often but only use it to maintain 65 going up a steeper hill and then I pop it back into 4th. I never redline it either...well once but thats because I was just not paying attention :(. If the wind is behind me I stay in 5th most the time and only drop to 4th on the bigger climbs.

The 4.0 is probably a better choice for us but I love the regular cab to much to trade it in. The short wheel base off road is gold and I love the look. I plan on adding the S/C eventually and that brings you up just above the V6 for power. That will be more than enough for my tastes. I think re gearing will help a TON...maybe even see 5th gear again :).

You already know the suck so if you are willing to put up with it then the regular cab is probably a good fit :).

18. Apr 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    Tinfish

Tinfish Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd
    I have a regular cab 4x4 and it's adequate, but I don't live way up in the mountains. It's lighter than the AC, but if you owned the 2.7 AC and it didn't work for you, the RC probably won't either. A supercharger would be sweet but $5k buys a lot of new truck, too. The regular cab is the right truck for me, but I'm not getting the sense that you will actually be happy with it, at least as a primary vehicle.

19. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Oh, well, hell if we're entering the dreaming phase of the thread, I'm winning the lottery and getting swedish massages from Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie. :p

But back on this planet
    1. if you want a reg cab
    2. that has good performance
    3. at high altitude where you live
    4. and you're willing to do some modifications from stock

Seriously, do the URD supercharger thing.

20. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    I'd go back to the 4cyl if you really want it. If power is an issue get the URD Supercharger which pretty much puts it up in the v6's power range. Depending on where you live I don't think Park county has emissions testing but think Summit county does?

Do what you want, for me the little options are sometimes the bigger deals for me and a lot of other people don't understand it. Oh well.

Products Discussed in

To Top