1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So much info on lifts it has me confused

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2014dperigo, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Apr 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    Debadged. LEDs throughout entire truck. Still more to come
    I just bought a 2014 double cab trd sport. I am planning on running a 3 inch rough country lift on it. I have read all through the threads and searched and searched to figure out what tire size I should run. I am gonna be running either duratracs or terra grapplers. I have read that I should run 265/70/17. But then also people say 285/70/17. I don't wheel my truck just a little here and there at some of my dirt bike races. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Apr 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Sua Sponte

Sua Sponte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Toytec/Bilstein Adjustable Coil Over (3") Bilstein 5100 (Front and Rear) Toytec 3" AAL Light Racing UCA's Toytec Diff Drop N-Fab Light Bar w/KC running lights N-Fab Side Steps Weathertech Floor Mats Toyota TRD Black Beadlock Style Wheels General Grabber AT2 285/75/R16 Other Stuff
    I am running 285/75R16 on a 3" lift. I had some slight rubbing at full lock, but added some Bora hub- centric wheels spacers and removed the front mud flaps and that seems to have done the trick. I thought my lift looked strange when I still had the 265's on it, so with a 3" I would definitely go with the 285's or 33".

3. Apr 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Welcome to TW!

Putting a low budget spacer lift on a brand new 30k truck seems crazy to me. Your would be ruining the trucks performance for "lift height" and that's just stupied.

I'd wait until you had a couple grand in your savings and do it right the first time. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people here buy low budget lifts only to spend that money again and get better ones thus wasting the initial cash and having a truck that rides like a brick.

also standard lifts do not increase the tire size you can run because they do not change the trucks suspension geometry. same size tire on stock should fit 3" lift and visa versa.

Oh and 285's suck IMHO. worst of both worlds... so wide they rub everything and so small they give you barley any additional clearance. I think they are good for on road mall crawling looks and that's about it.

4. Apr 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    XXXX. How would putting a spacer lift on it cause the truck to ride like a brick. All it is doing is spacing the front coils and it's a block spacer in the rear with new shocks. Putting an add aleaf in the rear would be something that would affect ride as it stiffens the leaf pack. As far as the front goes the struts would be exactly the same as they were before just spaced down farther. In my opinion that would offer the same ride as before. When I put a spacer leveling kit on my f150 it didn't cause it to ride any different. And if all that is gonna end bad. What lift would you suggest. Like I said I'm not some person who wheels a 30k truck. I have my bike and rzr for that.

5. Apr 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Not sure exactly what kit your talking about because I never really looked them up before........ but a front coil spacer preloads the coil thus killing it's life span, making it ride harsh, and killing your down travel so if you hit a bump the truck simply tops out the suspension.

If your actually putting a spacer above the shock with no preload to the coil that's a different story and can cause your cv's to overextend and bind up due to the extra down travel. Ive seen one lift like this in person and it bent his shock and looked like a death trap.

Rear blocks kill the lifespan of your leaf springs and also ride like shit.

IMHO you would be much better off with Billy 5100's.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    XXXX, If I were to go with the blistering 5100s. What kind of lift should I put on the rear. And if the 285s aren't the best size to run. What would be good size to go with

7. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    Sua sponte, what size wheel spacers are you running. Cause I am keeping my factory wheels cause they are covered under warranty.

8. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    Sua Sponte

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Toytec/Bilstein Adjustable Coil Over (3") Bilstein 5100 (Front and Rear) Toytec 3" AAL Light Racing UCA's Toytec Diff Drop N-Fab Light Bar w/KC running lights N-Fab Side Steps Weathertech Floor Mats Toyota TRD Black Beadlock Style Wheels General Grabber AT2 285/75/R16 Other Stuff

.75" spacers on stock 16" rims with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2's.

For lift, I have Bilstein 5100's on the front with Toytec/Eibach coil overs. In the rear I have a Toytech AAL and aluminum block with the longer Bilstein rear shocks. So 3" front and rear. I haven't noticed any difference with the blocks going over big bumps or anything.

9. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    I have somewhat the same lift as Sua Sponte (5100's all around, with fronts set at 0.85 setting with Eibach lift springs, and a 2"AAL in the rear with Light Racing upper control arms). I also run 265/70-17 Duratracs on offset wheels, so they stick out of the wheel wells a bit. The ride is great...a bit stiffer than stock (which is too soft) but handles better. I only have very minor rub on my cut down mudflaps in reverse at full lock on a bit of a slope, and I think my 265/70-17 Duratracs look awesome! I think a 285 would be overkill, and the Duratracs run a bit big anyway (mine measured 32.8" tall when I first got them. If you have any questions, let me know via PM.

10. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    Sua Sponte

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Fab, I run the LR UCA's as well. I think we pretty much have identical lifts. :)

11. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Very close, except no front diff drop for me, and I run an Old Man Emu rear carrier bearing drop. I also have the 265/70-17 wheels with 4.5 backspacing and run some cut down mudflaps to protect the paint. Have had mine this way for approx. 4 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.

12. Apr 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Imho

Blocks < single aal < progressive aal < New Leafs.

I ran 265/70/17's until I got 255/85/16's. Both are narrow and rub the frame slightly on stock wheels when wheeling.

I think having to cut up a truck for 285's is silly. If your going to cut make it worth it with 295 or 305's.

Just my opinion and many will disagree.

13. Apr 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    So fab and sua. Neither of u would recommend I run the rough country lift either? It has the front coil spacers and the rear is a 1 1/2 inch block with new shocks. To run the bilsteins I would need to get a different spring for them other than the one that comes with them? And do I need to get to get the drop bracket. What is the total price for a lift like u guys have? I am gonna run 265s I wouldn't be able to bring myself to cut on a truck with 800 miles

14. Apr 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Spacers and blocks are about the worst lift you can buy. They are cheap for a reason. You've got a nice truck, put a nice lift on it. If you don't wanna go big or go offroad alot, get Bilstein 5100's or different coils for the front and put an aal & 5100s in the back. You should be able to run an aggressive 265/70/17. You could run 285's aswell, but like others have said, you will have to trim.

15. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Sua Sponte

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road

I haven't done any cutting on my truck, and I'm running 285's.

I don't know a whole lot about Rough Country, but personally I think new springs is the way to go rather than spacers.

5100's is a good start to get a couple inches of lift. You don't need to get new springs for those, you can just use thr stick ones. But like I said before I love thr Toytec adjustable coil overs. You adjust the front ride height without having to decompress your coils. If you just run the 5100's you have to take everything apart if you want to change the ride height at some point down the road. I think all told, I spent a couple grand on my lift whixh included the $ to have it put on. At some point down the road I'm going to replace the rear spring with a new spring pack. Once that's done I don't see myself doing much else with the suspension.

16. Apr 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Myself, I wouldn't run a spacer lift. It's a nice new truck, so it deserves better IMHO. I sourced all my parts from different retailers for a better price, and installer it all by myself in my garage on a weekend. I had a local shop compress my stock coils and put the tops on my new coils/ shocks for a case of beer as it takes 5 minutes. Local shops wanted like $2k to install, so I said F that, and saved the money to go towards wheels/ tires. I'll find out where I got everything and PM you tomorrow.

17. Apr 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I hate my 3'' spacer kit. HATE HATE HATE it. I have to take bumps a 1 mph so I don't bounce around.

18. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    Anders99 is your spacer lift one that goes on top of the strut or one that goes in the strut. I am only thinking about the lift cause I work at toyota and a couple of the guys there run the lift. They said it rides like stock still.

19. Apr 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    2014dperigo

2014dperigo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Evansville, in
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT
    Okay so I'm kicking the rough country out the door thanks guys. I was looking on 4wheelparts. What about the pro comp or skyjacker kits. They come with everything that has been mentioned. I can supply links to both if that would help. And they are fairly reasonable on price and I know I can get them both at cost through a sponsor.

20. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    You never offroad or turn in reverse I guess?

I rubbed frame offroad with 265/70/17's which is basically stock tires.

Stupied is as stupied does...it's a old inside joke dating back before I had this screen name.

Oh god no!!!!!!!! 4 Wheel Parts is horrible. Do not listen to them or buy from them if you like your truck.

Call on Down South Motorsports for the best advise and customer service.

I concur

Products Discussed in

To Top