1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2" install questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaJay09, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Apr 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    TacomaJay09

TacomaJay09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    So I'm taking the plunge and having some last minute jitters. I'm installing 884's with OME Nitrochargers and General Spring HD leaf pack this weekend. My biggest concerns are around driveline vibrations and alignment. I've had some alignment issues previously with another truck that took too many times to correct so I'm hesitant to mess with my currently perfect alignment.

So what tips or tricks can TW members offer going into this to help ensure a good alignment? Ae there any common pitfalls? Are there any certain steps to take to get it right?

Im thinking that driveline issues can't be predicted and you don't really know until you have them, but are there any steps I should take here?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Apr 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    New UCA's will allow the alignment shop to definitely get it right. LR UCA's are a popular cheap replacement. Next step up would be a uniball UCA. Vibes seem to be on a truck to truck basis; you won't know until you put it on. You can get the CB drop to help avoid it/fix it. My rear went up about 2". Had the CB drop installed and if I do have vibes, it's either not noticeable or not bad enough for me to notice.

3. Apr 8, 2014 at 3:27 AM
    OldGeezer42

OldGeezer42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Silver Base
    Husky mats,30% tint all around, DTRL,OEM Bed mat,UWS Tool box,OEM fog lights,5100's,Wheelers 3leaf HD springs.OEM cruise control,OEM wipers,,Avid light bar,Flyzeye Leds,4x4 illuminated switch.Matt123 skids,bed lights,Ome 884s
    image.jpginstalled 884's and cb drop ,wanted a small lift and stay out of New UCA's , I have no vibes, but I'm running BFG Km 2 . Wait till alignment before UCA , might not need them, usually when you go over 2.5" you will need them to get a good alignment . My .02

4. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:08 AM
    scottw1

scottw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Lighted 4wd dial, Sirus XM radio
    Concur. 2 inches and your alignment should be fine. 2.5-3 and you are looking at new UCAs. Put it in and see if you have vibes. If so, then you can address. Good luck w/ the install.

5. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    Same here....this I why I chose this lift. It seems the ability to align is based on the quality of the technician doing it. How does the BFG KM's impact the alignment? Is it because they add height?

6. Apr 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    OldGeezer42

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Silver Base
    Husky mats,30% tint all around, DTRL,OEM Bed mat,UWS Tool box,OEM fog lights,5100's,Wheelers 3leaf HD springs.OEM cruise control,OEM wipers,,Avid light bar,Flyzeye Leds,4x4 illuminated switch.Matt123 skids,bed lights,Ome 884s
    I got a good balance on my tires 1st to eliminate any vibes, tires are very aggressive . Then did alignment, is was good , I did mine at a 4 wheel drive shop. Then tech drove it on interstate at 75 mph he said it was " tight" , then I drove it, it drove like before lift didn't wander all over the road and steered straight . I like the look of 285s, but didn't want to lose mud flaps,cut , bend, whatever to run them ,so I went with the aggressive tire. To me it looks and functions well .

7. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    Of course I waited to put my rims/tires on until a week before my lift install. I just took it out on the highway today for the first time and noticed a slight shimmy in the steering wheel at 70-75. So now I don't have enough time to have them rebalanced before the install.

8. Apr 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    FatTony415

FatTony415 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    '20 DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Stock for now
    I have 884s, OME Sport shocks/struts, and a 1.5" AAL - I got about 2" in the front, and have no alignment issues or vibes. And I'm running 265/75/16 BFG ATs with no rubbing or trimming. I see no reason why your 2nd Gen would be any different, although you could get slightly more lift up front than me if yours is not 4x4.

9. Apr 14, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    So install is complete and wouldn't you know it I got a crappy alignment and a slight driveline hum at 25 mph, WTF.

10. Apr 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    OldGeezer42

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Silver Base
    Hum? Does your steering wheel shake? How much lift did you get? Are your unbolts tight on rear axle. I had a slight vib when I did the 1 st lift that's why I installed the cb .

11. Apr 14, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    The alignment I got was junk. My right front has visible positive camber while my left front has neutral visible camber. The caster is too low so it's got that "follow the groove" feel to it and the camber is slightly high. The driveline vibe isn't too bad, it's more of a mild shudder than a hum from 25-30mph only. When I had the tires put on originally I had some steering wheel shake at 75mph but I hadn't aligned it yet because I was waiting to install the lift. Now that everything is done, my front wheels now feel balanced but I have the driveline vibe. SO I figured I should get the tires re-balanced (hopefully they don't make it worse) to eliminate that and then tackle the alignment and the driveline next. The mechanic couldn't say if he put the same wheel back on the corner he took it off of and I didn't mark them beforehand.

I will check all the u-bolts because I know the tech sprinted through the job. It's possible he could have slipped up here. I haven't taken post-lift measurements yet but I have rake so I know it was more than 2".

Products Discussed in

To Top