1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rooftop Tent Install without a hoist

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DenverMojo, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    DenverMojo

DenverMojo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evergreen, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6-spd
    Here's a question for those of you with a RTT that are mounting them higher up so that you don't have clearance through your garage door. What's your process for getting the RTT on/off your truck? I have a RTT on the way, so trying to figure out the logistics of getting it on/off. I currently have a couple bed bars that sit over the bed rails. I know I can mount the RTT on their without issue, but I'd prefer to mount the RTT higher up, so that I get more use of the annex.

I'm debating on mounting the RTT over the cab or on a bed rack (I currently have a Softopper, so am thinking of getting a bed rack that would sit around/over that). If I mount the RTT in either of these ways, it will most definitely sit higher than my garage clearance. I know the most common way people deal with storage and install of a RTT is with a hoist in the garage, but if there isn't clearance, I don't think that will be an option.

So... I can only imagine that this isn't a unique predicament, so wanted to hear what solutions other folks have come up with.

2. Apr 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    kai38`

kai38` Well-Known Member

Member:
    Right now I have to have the neighbor come over and help put the tent on and off to clear the garage door frame, when not on my truck its mounted on my M416 with a cover over it on the side of the house.
    We are house shopping for a new house and part of what I'm looking for is a garage door with a taller opening.
    The house I'm in now has a great set up where I could put a block & tackle to lift the RTT on/off but the truck won't fit through the door when RTT is mounted.
    I have even considered letting the air out of the tires to get into garage to hoist tent on/off

3. Apr 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    Augie

Augie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Poway, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4 (sold)
    Sold
    I slide it on and off myself. I have the Mt. Shasta from CVT. What I do is slide the tent on it's side to the back of my truck. With the tailgate down I rest a part of the tent on it then flip it up. At this point the tent is still on it's side. I then rest the mounting rails on the bed rack and Im able to slide the tent in place. It's easy and when I did it the first time I had a friend spotting me in case I lost my balance. There's a video someone posted of them doing what I described. Ill try and find it.

4. Apr 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    Augie

Augie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Poway, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4 (sold)
    Sold
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    josh80 and Pirhett like this.
  5. Apr 30, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    DenverMojo

DenverMojo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evergreen, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6-spd
    Thanks, yeah, I've seen that video on youtube, too, and was planning on giving that a shot. Wasn't sure how easy it would be with my Mt Rainier that is on the way. But, will give that whirl and see, once I get the RTT.

I also came across this hitch mounted hoist, which i thought was an interesting idea. It can lift something a max of 84" off the ground. Thought this might be a viable option, if i decide i need the extra help. Could be a handy thing to have in general, too...

Products Discussed in

To Top