1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012-13 Tacoma/RAV4 Urgent Safety Recall. (Brake Actuator Reprogramming)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Guerrilla, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    AznTRD

AznTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    813 FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport DCSB
    My 2012 Sport didn't show up for any recalls either from the Toyota owners site

2. Apr 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Base Reg Cab 2.7L 2TR-FE A340E
    By the way, the recall only affects trucks produced between late March, 2012 through mid December, 2012. The manufacture date will be on the door jamb.

3. Apr 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    Helps a lot, I'll let them know. Thanks! :thumbsup:

4. Apr 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    mmarino

mmarino Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR
    OME Suspension with Dakars, NWTI bumpers, BAMF Sliders, Color matched grill, Centruy cap, Relentless Hi-Lift Bracket, HID headlights & foglights, PIAA fogs, 42" Rampage radius LED bar, Wet okole seat covers, Console & glove box organizers, AFE pro dry filter
    I just called my dealer and they said this recall does not apply to my '13 TRD OR which I purchased in Oct of '12. They said this recall was VIN specific.

5. Apr 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, who knows? I'm just going by what the remedy notice says.

[​IMG]

6. Apr 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    Tibs

Tibs Active Member

Member:
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Got my letter in the mail Mon and had it done today at dealer in 50 minutes. Shortly after I bought my 2012 I was going up a long but not too steep hill in slippery conditions when the rear end broke loose and nearly side-swiped a semi:eek: After wetting my diaper I thought it odd the trac control didn`t kick in and bring me back from the precipice. I've tried to do 360s in the parking lot and sometimes it worked and sometimes i was able to do them without the trac control kicking in. This year i bought new rims with snows and sandbags to add some control. Tomorrow I'm headed to the sand to check it out. I'll update later.

7. Apr 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla [OP] L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff

Good example and reason everybody should look into this.
    Thanks for the post.

8. Apr 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nature Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    I got the letter Monday. My truck is 2013 SR5 4x4, purchased in October '12.

Took it to the dealer for my last free oil change and the recall.

Service guy tells me they did the oil change but the computer was too slow to do the software update. Gotta love Key West.

I'll go back as soon as I can. Fortunately I don't really drive the truck much day to day.

9. Apr 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    Tibs

Tibs Active Member

Member:
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I had to make a run across state today in the pouring rain and didn't have time to "test" the software update I received yesterday but during one hard stop in the rain.....the ABS did kick in as it should have giving me some assurance of the fix. I will update when I meet the mud!

10. Apr 12, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nature Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab 4x4 SR5

Did you have any noticeable issues before? I never did, not that I ever really tested the ABS or anything.

11. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Here's a more detailed chart with VIN's:

[​IMG]

12. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Here's what "supposedly" happened:

July 2012- December 2012

Toyota received a field report from the US market indicating illumination of the ABS warning
    light on a 2012MY Lexus RX vehicle produced at TMMC. Investigation on the returned
    brake actuator assembly with the skid control ECU from the vehicle revealed that a diagnostic
    code related to a motor circuit malfunction had been stored, but bench testing of the actuator
    showed no abnormalities.

Toyota received additional field reports and continued to investigate returned brake actuators
    but was unable to duplicate the motor circuit malfunction and could not identify the cause of
    the warning light illumination. In most of the cases, the warning lights turned off after one
    key ignition cycle and VSC, ABS and Traction Control functions resumed. The
    phenomenon occurred only on the subject vehicles.

Toyota began a comparative investigation between similar actuators installed in vehicles
    which experienced the phenomenon and those that did not. The hybrid terminal, which is a
    two-piece type terminal that connects the brake actuator motor and the circuit board of the
    skid control ECU, was being produced by different suppliers in Japan and the US, and the
    phenomenon was only occurring on the actuators with terminals being supplied by the US
    sourced supplier. Although Toyota had not been able to identify differences in the terminals,
    production was changed in December 2012 so that only the Japan sourced terminal was used.

January 2013- early February 2014

Toyota began recovering brake actuators from in-use vehicles. Comparison of returned
    failed parts and recovered in-use parts revealed a very small gap at the riveted portion on
    failed parts that created a reduction in contact force between the two components of the
    terminal. Toyota theorized that, if the rivet was insufficiently punched during manufacture,
    contact force between pieces of the terminal would become unstable with temperature
    variation.

Thermal shock cycle testing using a terminal containing a small gap at the riveted portion
    confirmed that voltage applied to the motor increased beyond the motor voltage threshold for
    detection of abnormality in the motor circuit, indicating a higher than normal resistance.
    Toyota also theorized that electrical contact resistance could increase as oxide film normally
    develops and remains on the surface of terminal pieces as a result of reduction in contact force.
    It was confirmed that this oxide film is partly removed by voltage applied to the motor during
    activation of ABS or VSC, but it is not completely removed in terminals with unstable contact
    force.

Toyota reviewed the terminal production process history and found that the riveting process
    used by the U.S. supplier was changed in March 2012, causing the rivet hole to become
    slightly bigger. It was determined that insufficient rivet punch in the hybrid terminals
    produced between March 2012 and December 2012 could lead to momentary electrical
    contact failure with temperature variation due to higher than normal resistance, causing a
    motor circuit malfunction to be detected and resulting in illumination of various warning
    lights, including those for the VSC, ABS, and Traction Control. Hybrid terminals produced
    before March 2012 and terminals produced by the Japan supplier and used after December
    2012 are not affected.

February 6, 2014

Toyota decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall campaign on the subject vehicles to update
    the software for the skid control ECU with additional logic to remove oxide film in the hybrid
    terminal by applying voltage when the resistance in the terminal momentarily becomes high.

13. Apr 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    off road

off road Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab TRD OR 4X4 & 2013 Reg Cab Base 4X4
    Got my notice yesterday. Son is in college and has truck up in Washington state right now, so will have to have it done up there. I presume we should reattach the wire from the YELLOW WIRE MOD before taking it to the dealer. I would think it might bring up an error code, that will confuse the technician (???).

I have never felt that the LSD system worked quite as well as advertised. There are places where I can easily get a wheel in the air (like Cleghorn Rd, for you locals), and I have never felt like it did as well as it should. Doesn't sound like this will help, but can't hurt.

14. Apr 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    shilowar

shilowar Active Member

Member:
    Eastern Tacostand
    Vehicle:
    OC Spruce Mica with leather!
    heated leather, Westin Winch Tray and brush guard, WARN X9000i winch, dual Jerry cans bed mounted, Jason truck cap.

Thanks for posting, I checked my VIN for my 13 TRD OR and didn't have a recall either.

15. Apr 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Even if the skid control ecu messed up, you aren't going to die.... humans have survived decades without abs, trac, and vsc... I also got the letter... but im going to let it soak alittle while until the techs become more familiar with the doing the update before I go.

16. Apr 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    woodchip

woodchip Well-Known Member

Member:
    calgary,ab
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco 4x4 v6 manual
    firestone ride-rites
    dealer did this update at my last service.but really this falls into the category of who gives a f***.drives normal anyway with no issues,or your a p****.

17. Apr 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all.

My '12 Taco falls in the TMMTX (San Antonio Texas Plant) CX range but was built Feb 10 2012 - so even though my VDS characters fit in the asterix spots, only specific VDS characters fall into the date range.

I was at TIS last month and here is an excerpt from the (what was then preliminary) "Safety Recall (E0F_E1F) Preliminary Brake Actuator Reprogram" (my truck is not affected)

Tacoma Dealer Stock List:
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]VIN [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Dealer Code [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]VIN [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Dealer Code [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFJU4GN0DX035460 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]00199 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFUU4EN9DX059823 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]09204 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFJU4GN8DX036856 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]01067 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFPX4EN6DX013547 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]29070 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFUX4ENXDX016549 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]04050 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMLU4EN0DM111230 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]29997 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMJU4GN6CM136264 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]04233 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFJX4CN1DX025923 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]30013 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMJU4GN5CM135378 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]04233 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFNX4CN4CX014334 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]31039 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMMU4FN7DM052244 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFMU4FN7DX010036 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]31176 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMKU4HN0DM034981 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFLU4EN9DX061339 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]32027 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFJU4GN5DX029671 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFLU4EN4DX059109 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]35049 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMJU4GN5DM140436 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]05999 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFNX4CNXDX019779 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]36084 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMLU4EN6CM102210 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]05999 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFNX4CN0DX021461 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]37106 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFLU4EN8DX060425 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]09112 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3TMLU4EN3DM112890 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]37132 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]5TFJX4GN1DX018593 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]09165 [/FONT][/FONT]

This should help any that are wondering if their taco is involved.

Cheers
    Ray.

18. Apr 14, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking up the VIN on the Toyota Owner's site seemed to be hit or miss with mine last week. One day it said no, next day "site was down", next day yes & now it says no, again. :goingcrazy: The only way to really find out is to have the dealer run your VIN through the Toyota TIS (Technical Information System). Either way, I still haven't received anything in the mail. So, here's the last chart (which I'm on) I could find:

[​IMG]

Workflow chart for anyone interested:

[​IMG]

All this over a rivet hole.:rolleyes:

Good Luck, guys! :)

19. Apr 14, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    Does anyone know if the yellow wire mod will have any effect on this. It not I bi deal to reverse I'm just curious.

20. Apr 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Steve, I would put it back to stock. Techs are probably confused enough as it is with all the recalls. If not, be sure to tell them.

So, anyone who gives a fuck, is a pussy?

Products Discussed in

To Top