1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint chipping?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DCGirl, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    DCGirl

DCGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I found this yesterday under the side mirror. My concern is the paint. I've never seen this on my previous vehicles but then again I have no idea who or what hit it. I did have an oil change 2 weeks ago. The only reason I noticed is because I decided to fold the mirror.

Would toyota cover a paint issue even though it was obviously hit with something?

IMG_1154.jpg

2. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Not usually...sometimes they may do some sort of goodwill but you'll have to ask to find out.

3. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
  4. Apr 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Don't waste your money on a touch up guy. Just go to Toyota and grab some OEM paint in the colour you need and then do it yourself with a fine paint brush and then use a hair dryer to make sure it's dry. He won't do anything fancy that you couldn't do.

5. Apr 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
  6. Apr 11, 2014 at 4:11 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Not a chance in hell will they touch that. Unless you pay for it. Nor should you expect them too.

7. Apr 11, 2014 at 4:16 AM
    Onurnez

Onurnez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Fog Light Anytime Mod, LED dome and Map, Alpine Head unit, w/ Alpine door replacements, De-badged/De-Flapped, Anzo Black Headlights, Anzo Black Tail lights, Satoshi by Homer, Full OME Kit, LR UCA's Black interior dash parts, UltraGauge, Custom Decals By RuggedT, TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI, Weathertech Rainguards, Weathertech Floormats, Blueinstinct Center and door handle covers, Tacoma Bed Mat, 17x9 Fuel Kranks, 285/70/17, Window Tint: 5% back/35% front, Powerslot Rotors, Redline hood strut, 14'' Black Billet Antenna, LED Bed Light Mod, 100k mile mod
    You have a 2013 truck, practically brand new. Go have a professional take care of this for you. When a deer hit my truck I had a choice between a great body shop and toyota, I chose toyota since it will "look" better when/if I have to sell. It could just be my crazy way of thinking though. Good Luck!

8. Apr 11, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    JohnNP

JohnNP ForeRunners Future Wife :)~

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport JBL
    As of 11/4/15 1) Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod 2) ND4SPDBP's Fog Light Mod 3) Devil Horn Emblem 4) Weathertech Digital Floor Liners 5) ADD W-1 Vers 2 Baffled Oil Catch Can- constantly surprised at how much oil this thing captures 6) Weatherproof Under the rail LED bedlights Warm White (by Mattgecko) with hidden small cubby switch 7) Sliding Window Security Bar 8) Hood Lighting Kit Warm White /Pro Kit (by BeeRad) 9) Morimoto mini D2S retrofit HID lights w/ 55W ballasts and XB 5000k bulbs from TRS- one of the best modifications I have ever made, blows the stock lights out of the water 10) ImMrYo bracket 11) Scangauge II 12) Autodimming mirror w/ Compass/Temperature/Homelink 13) Bedrug Mat and Tailgate rug. 14) Pop n Lock Power tailgate lock w/ bolt coded to factory key. 15) Map Light w/ Door Mod 16) BakFlip HD Tonneau Cover 17) 35% Front windows ceramic tint - a very good match to factory 19) Gerber machete, because every truck needs a machete 20) Various flashlights, really love my Black Diamond Miner Mole Headlamp 21) AFE Pro Dry drop in filter 22) removed secondary charcoal air filter 23) Back up light Mod- I used the light bulb as found on page 14, 35W from Lowes. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/886-backup-light-mod.209578/page-14 24) Hi-Lift Off Road Recovery Kit- thank you TW Secret Santa 25) Tailgate Seal 26 interior footwell/rear seat dome light controlled LEDS https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/footwell-and-rear-seat-led-light-dome-switched-mod-lots-of-pics.409428/#post-11529460 27) pelfrybilt aluminum front skid 28) morimoto XB fog lights 29) mob town front recovery bar with 2 Smitty bilt D-Rings 30) 48" Extreme Hi-Lift Jacks w/ ATO rail mounts 31) Prinsu rack 32) Rigid D2 Ditch lights 33) 40" Heretic LED bar on Prinsu Rack 34) Kawell x 6 side lights 2 spot and 1 wide per side 35) Rigid SRQ2 x 2 rear facing asshole/backup lights 36) NSA switch panel to 150amp bussman fuse on custom made mount 37) 267/70/17 BFG KO2's in C rating Pending installation 1) Rock Lights Upcoming/Possible Mods 1) Katzkin Leather Seats in black/ice grey (supposedly better factory match for the 2014) w/ Degreeze heater/cooling and TRD stitched into the seat faces thru jhuey - once I get to Arizona will buy them and have him install them 3) Total chaos UCA's 4) Kinda want to get some of the 2016 TRD Sport Rims or the grey TRD wheels the FJ cruiser/4Runners have. 5) BAMF LCA Skids 6) ICON or KING coilover 8) BAMF hidden grill light mounts 9) 20" or 30" LED light by Rigid Industries for behind the Grill. . 10) full leave pack maybe the Deaver 10 leaf set 11) ? Warn m8000 winch- really depends on if I end up doing more off roading 12) Possibly a console vault, not entirely convinced those are as secure as they would have you believe.
    ^^^^^ what he said. I did just that. Put on a few coats with a fine artists brush then applied a clear oat layer over it. So far so good. Very happy

9. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    My roommate actually mentioned that she thought she heard someone outside shooting a bb gun a few times. Even asked me if I thought it could be the bb gun hooligan thats been shooting at the street light.
    I am gonna have to save up for a camera security system. I live on a corner with a cinder block wall that seems to invite bad people to hang out.

10. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I was thinking I would lightly sand the flaking paint off and the bare metal that is showing some light rust. Apply the toyota touch up paint I bought online and put a clear coat. What did you use for your clear coat?

11. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    have toyota or other body shop take care of it right. tell insurance company it was vadilized. it will fall under comprehensive, and you just pay deductible.

12. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Reprinting an entire panel for that is an awful idea. Painting a car has so many imperfections that can occur. Just touch it up and be done with it.....

13. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    i would disagree with you on this one. if you use a quality bodyshop there there should be zero imperfections that will occur. plus a quality bodyshop should have a lifetime warrenty on the repair. i persoanlly would have that repaired and painted using my comp insurance. plus they would pay to blend the fender for color match. ive had half my truck painted multiple times from break ins and one accident fuck up of mine and no issues have arisen.

to the poster a couple up that took their vehicle to "toyota" for repair i found that kind of funny. you realize that they just ship it out to whatever bodyshop they deal with right (ex: whoever buys the most parts off them).

14. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    chickdr

chickdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7l
    I wouldn't say this is always true. My local dealer - World Toyota in Chamblee, GA - has their own body shop right behind the service building. The VW/Audi/Porsche/Mazda dealer across the street also has their own body shop and the MINI dealer also has their own shop. All of these dealers/shops are within a very small area.

15. Apr 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    No paint job will ever be perfect unless somebody spends lots of time with a sander after the paint is dried. I work in a body shop doing exactly that.

You can either open yourself up to all kinds of shit like dust nibs, orange peel, and runs. Pay your deductible (mines pretty expensive) and leave your vehicle at the shop for up to a week depending on the shop.

Or you can be buy a bit of touch up which you can use down the road when inevitably hundreds of other rock chips happen and be done with it.

Getting a entire panel repainted for a rock chip is just massive overkill.

16. Apr 27, 2014 at 12:40 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    Mine is brand new and I'm getting ready to seal it, detail, wash, wax, all of that. I'm pretty OCD that everything is well taken care of. But if I had a rock chip in my paint I'd just do my best to patch it with a primer/paint/clear coat kit I got. Replacing an entire panel is just crazy - it's a truck, not some fancy show car. They're built to handle tasks that cars aren't up to and sometimes that means they're gonna get scratched.

17. Apr 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Completely agree.

It's an awful idea to repaint it because you can end up with an entire panel looking like ass instead of just one little chip. If a panel has been repainted on a car I can pretty much guarantee you will be able to tell if you know what to look for.

18. May 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    It's been a while but I have decided to fix it myself. I'm just debating using a filler like bondo?

I already purchased the touch up paint from toyota. Just not sure where to get the primer and clear coat in small amounts so it doesn't cost as much.

19. May 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Don't bother with bondo or clear imo. Just touch it up with the white and be done with it. The key is keeping the touch up small if you start doing all of that it will end up bigger than it needs to be. I have plain black on my hood and its still there.

20. May 16, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...

Not sure what qualifies as much for you, but I just painted my grille today. Duplicolor self etching primer from Advance Auto Parts for probably ~$10. Clear coat from Automotive Touchup for ~$8. ATU also carries primer and whatever else you'll probably need for painting. Gotta pay shipping for that though.

Products Discussed in

To Top