Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Correct Gear Oil for LSD Rear Differential on Tacoma

Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
chauphidaovan is on a distinguished road

Name: John
chauphidaovan's Tacoma Gallery
Correct Gear Oil for LSD Rear Differential on Tacoma

Hello, I am a new member but a long time follower and have a question. What is the correct gear oil for the rear differential with Limited-Slip on my 08 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD?

My Toyota manual says: Above 0F SAE 90, Below 0F SAE 80W or 80W-90. My Toyota dealer also say they use SAE 80W-90gear oil with LSD additive. I live in Dayton, Ohio and the weather here can be -10 below in winter and 90+ degrees in the summer. The reason I ask is why so many people in here recommend SAE 75W-90? The local auto part stores also say to use the SAE 75W-90 gear oil for the rear differential. So do I go with the dealer and Manual to be safe or go with the (SAE 75W-90) Synthetic? Thanks in advance for your input. BTW, the truck has 32K mile and runs smooth and fine with no issue, just wanted to do the regular maintenance recommendedby the Manual.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
The synthetic doesn't really work too well in the LSD diff. Most suggest going with a regular dino oil and GM lsd additive. I recently went with synthetic in mine and I get a lot of clutch chatter, I will be going regular ASAP
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I used a dino 80-90 with the additive from the dealer, and it worked great.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
chauphidaovan is on a distinguished road

Name: John
chauphidaovan's Tacoma Gallery
I am leaning toward using the Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 conventional gear oil with Limited Slip and add one K & W Chemical TRANS-X Posi-Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive to it. My dealer actually use conventional Valvoline 80W-90 with special LSD additive already in it, but they don't sell them because they have them in bulk container only. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I used royal purple. It locks up too easily. Got to change it back to dino this weekend i think.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauphidaovan View Post
I am leaning toward using the Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 conventional gear oil with Limited Slip and add one K & W Chemical TRANS-X Posi-Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive to it. My dealer actually use conventional Valvoline 80W-90 with special LSD additive already in it, but they don't sell them because they have them in bulk container only. Thanks.
I also have a 08' Sport with mechanical LSD. Just use plain conventional and add LSD additive. I would not use LSD oil and than add LSD additive. I have 94k on mine of hard abuse and never had any issues doing it this way.

Not sure how often you change your fluid but if you beat it like I do I would suggest 15k changes. 30k is WAY to long for heavy use. It only takes 5 minutes so no need to let it go for high mileage.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I also have a 08' Sport with mechanical LSD. Just use plain conventional and add LSD additive. I would not use LSD oil and than add LSD additive. I have 94k on mine of hard abuse and never had any issues doing it this way.

Not sure how often you change your fluid but if you beat it like I do I would suggest 15k changes. 30k is WAY to long for heavy use. It only takes 5 minutes so no need to let it go for high mileage.

Varying diff fluids have varying amounts of limited slip modifier in them. The more modifier content the more easily the clutch packs can slip and feel like an open diff. The lower percent, the opposite. Depending on a few factors, will determine which amount of modifier you want in the gear oil.

Synthetic or not, it doesn't affect it. Modifier does. (Except for in certain circumstances whdre a diff manufacturer specifically says to uses only one style fluid for their diff. Such as Quaife.) Quality/brand of synthetic or dino will determine how quickly the gear oil breaks down.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Grab mobile 1 full sun 75w90 off amazon... It has the ls additive in it already.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Grab mobile 1 full sun 75w90 off amazon... It has the ls additive in it already.

That's the worst possible fluid you could use in our rears besides liquid nails
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
That's the worst possible fluid you could use in our rears besides liquid nails
And this is based on what facts ?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
And this is based on what facts ?

10 years worth of people posting in here how horrible their mechanical LSD rears are with it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post345177

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2438890

and I could go on for days and days
Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I just used the dino 80-90 valvoline with the additive, and it's smooth as silk.