1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help for an expedition build.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StormRunner, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Apr 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    StormRunner

StormRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma white "n" black SR5
    Does anyone know someone who is big in the expedition rigs? I have lots of questions for armor and weight. If I could get with them and or just pick their brain it would be great.

I know very little about expedition still but I have noticed keep it light. I will be upgrading to fox coil-overs and shocks on all pro's expedition suspension for the rear and long travel up front. I would really like to go with relentless front and rear plate bumpers. rear with tire carrier. My weights seem to be getting a bit high:

Rear steel is 180 lbs
    Front steel is 150 lbs
    and there complete skids are about 150 lbs.

I would just make it simple and do aluminum up front and on skids but I am worried about if I bottom out I will tear the aluminum vs with steel just denting. I am worried also about the front squatting with the steel bumper and having a rake. The expedition leafs for the rear are set at 3" but are supposed to level out for a true 3" lift after 200+ lbs of weight.

I have found some guys build they do steel rear and sliders but the front bumper is aluminum, and they are only running diff skid, and front cross member skid. Is it a need to have full skids under the truck or just what I have listed above.

When I am done I want to be able to travel long distances and go just about anywhere, and survive out of the truck for a while if need to. I will have lockers, shelter, storage, fresh water, lights, air supply and recovery gear so I can recover myself when out just my wife and I.

Thanks for all the great help.

2. Apr 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Hope this helps. Cant comment personally, but this is some of the knowledge I have acquired from the site over the last few years

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Apr 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    I'm no expert, but I've thought about weight a bit. What gets forgotten is the extra water and fuel you might carry. If you really want to get away from civilization a while, you might want 10-20 gallons of water and 10-20 gallons of fuel. Including the weight of the jerry cans/racks you'll be at about 200 lbs for 20 gallons, and 400 for 40. If I were building from scratch I would definitely go with aluminum armor where possible, and if cost were no object :eek: If cost is a problem, I'd consider something less high end that All Pro's LT kit, and spend some of the savings on aluminum armor. Also I could of sworn I saw someone in TX selling a full set of Bud Built skids on TW a couple months ago. Try searching, maybe they still have them.

Check out ExpeditionPortal and search on TacoDoc. He's been building his truck for about 8 years now and there is lots of info there. I think he is on his third pair of rear springs, and he had the last pair custom built.

Have fun figuring it all out. There is no perfect answer for everyone. Really it's just about what you want and need, and there are lot of toys to look at.

Products Discussed in

To Top