1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual vs auto trans for trailering?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sounder4, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Apr 11, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    sounder4

sounder4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm shopping for a 2014 Access cab 6-cyl 4x4. I'll be pulling a lightweight travel trailer (most likely between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs). I'm concerned that the Tacoma auto trans will wear out faster if pulling a load. Am I better off getting the 6-speed manual? In general, doe4s the Toyota manual trans last longer/have fewer problems than the auto trans?

2. Apr 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've had both and pulled with both and I prefer the auto. The auto trans in the tacoma is solid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was the same trans that was used in the V-8 (4.7L) 4Runner and Tundra's. Before you buy one, I suggest you drive both but the 6speed are harder to locate. Also the 6speed had/has it's issues with the aluminum shaft wear. Don't know if Toyota ever fixed it. Just do a search.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Apr 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Auto is generally better for towing all around. For the Tacoma, I didnt think the first gear was short enough to be good for towing.

Remember, in lower gears, the torque converter is also a torque multiplier and with modern day lock up clutches, you dont have to worry about loosing efficiency in higher gears. :thumbsup:

That said, manuals are cheaper and easier to fix and maintain. If you go with a manual, I would suggest a re-gear depending on how much you plan to tow.

4. Apr 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Yeah umm.... i see people replacing clutches in their manuals quite often.... its few and far between i ever hear of anyone having to have work done on their autos.

After that first clutch (which usually happens before 100k) that price difference from the auto is completely voided.

5. Apr 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    StealthTaco

StealthTaco www.ecgfabrication.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tacoma TRD Sport 6-speed
    :confused:

Theres someone on here who replaced his clutch for the first time at around 325,000 miles, and it still had some meat on it. Most people have their OEM clutch for WAY past 100,000 miles

6. Apr 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Not saying that there arnt the cases where the stock clutch lasts a long time. Just that there are far far more threads asking how to replace a clutch / cost of clutch replacement / issues with the clutch. Than you see of the auto trans needing a rebuild.

7. Apr 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    There's a lot of people having to fix and maintain their autos around here. The two more prominent issues would be the strawberry milkshake (failed radiator) and the torque converter shudder (sometimes caused by the former ruining the lockup clutch). Coming from the factory underfilled is an issue but it's cheap to fix.

That said, I'd tow with the auto if given the choice. The main detriment to the 6 speed isn't how it behaves on the road; it's how it behaves if you have to back up your trailer. That reverse is absurdly tall and it's very hard not to smoke the clutch with a load if there's any incline at all.

139k on my factory clutch btw :) and I know for a fact the previous owner towed stuff with this truck.

8. Apr 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    StealthTaco

StealthTaco www.ecgfabrication.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tacoma TRD Sport 6-speed
    I guess I'm missing those threads.

I see threads about the squeaking throwout bearing, but thats not an actual issue. The auto trans is solid as well, I'm partial to driving a stick shift though.

Also, agreeing with the above post that reverse in the manual transmission when towing SUCKS, its way too tall of a gear

9. Apr 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    sounds like the 2low mod would be perfect for reverse tailoring.

if you have the 4x4 that is.

10. Apr 11, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    fixed

I smoked the clutch on my six speed backing up with nigh but a COUCH in the bed, and it was barely a hill.

Reverse could probably do 50 mph if you tried

11. Apr 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Go with the automatic and the tow package... you won't regret it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  12. Apr 11, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    RYANBORN

RYANBORN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RYAN
    FERNIE BC CANADA
    Vehicle:
    14 TACOMA TRD OFFROAD
    I just got the 14, 6 speed manual access cab... so much more fun than auto... I say worth the cons... if any.

13. Apr 11, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    For towing, auto.

The tow package is a MUST. It includes a tranny cooler AND a 'supplemental oil cooling'. There's also a A/T Temp dummy light. So you'll at least know if you've overheated the tranny fluid and can change it ASAP. Heat IS the killer of an auto.

Also, you don't need to do the 2 low mod. You can use 4 low for short distances in many cases. Especially when going very slow and very short distances, much like reversing with a trailer. Not a bad mod, but not necessary to take advantage of the low range for short, infrequent dry pavement use. Ever been to Moab? The traction on the sandstone when dry is like driving on fine grit sandpaper. Much more traction than concrete or asphalt. I've done 100s of miles in 4 low there. I've also seen A LOT of carnage when using too much pepper. My self included. :D Rarely a 4 low problem. Usually an axle or ring and pinion.

And how about a link to the 2 low mod? :)

14. Apr 12, 2014 at 2:59 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Towing with an auto trans with the tow package is the way to go. Auto has a torque converter as stated earlier. They multiply torque at take off, no jolts, no reving, just smooth pulling.
    Is there a tow package for the 6 speed? Stronger clutch? Bigger throwout bearing? Bigger radiator? Lower gear ratio?
    That's the beauty of the auto, less stress on the other components.

15. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    Gaston

Gaston Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    BSL, MS
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6MT
    You're always better off getting a manual. Slush boxes are for ninnies.

16. Apr 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Either will be fine for towing, though the high ratio on the 6spd in reverse is a valid concern. 2lo would cure that. 1st is PLENTY low enough.

The tow package is available with the 6spd transmission, and includes the same things as its automatic counterpart, save the transmission cooler.

17. Apr 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Well if your concern is wearing out the transmission early then you need a standard. The automatic will go out when the standard will not. The standard will however need a clutch at some point. When that happens will depend on the driver and if you ride the clutch or not. I personally would choose the standard.

18. Apr 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    That's about the same amount of weight I tow w/ my '13 6-Speed. Gets the job done just fine. If you're preferential to an AT you could always go that route :anonymous:

Biggest difference would be on your slight upgrades and whenever you're going down hill. The AT will be jumping all over the place trying to decide on a gear when pulling up hill. Coming down you wont have the peace of mind of being able to downshift into the gear you want when you want it and you'll begin to understand why you hear a lot of these AT guys talking about how "soft" their brakes are. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before some slushbox AT guy will praise his trans of being able to do everything a 6-speed can. But....we all know it's nowhere near the same.:poking:

Good luck with your purchase.

Welcome to TW and :cheers:

19. Apr 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    You can shift an auto to the desired gear when going down hill. So while not quite as effective for engine braking as the manual, it will still help. When going uphill you can also choose the gear you want to keep the auto from hunting. This is advised as the hunting really increases auto tranny temps. And the temps are what kill the auto tranny fluid which kills the auto tranny. If you keep it within the needed temps, your auto tranny should last many, many miles without replacement. More miles than a clutch and likely the life of the truck. If you overheat the tranny then it's a different story. The brakes on the tacoma may be 'soft' but they're huge for this size truck and do a great job stopping a trailer under 3500 lbs. without brakes. Add brakes to the trailer and it's not really an issue whatsoever.

I've pulled many trailers and have had many trucks. From a 88 Toyota to an 05' Ram 2500 w/ Cummins diesel. All have had autos except the 88 Toy. I would never buy a manual to tow regularly. Auto trannys have come a long way in the last 20 years. Especially the last 5 to 10.

I will say that I'm not extremely impressed with the Tacoma 5 speed auto but it's not terrible either.

If you want an auto, get an auto. If you want a manual, get a manual. I don't think either will give you problems towing.

20. Apr 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I start my camper rolling in first at an idle it will pull it. At highway speeds I can cruse in 6th. If you don't know how to drive a stick get the automatic.

Products Discussed in

To Top