1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noobie tire question for 285's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtm1135, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Apr 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    jtm1135

jtm1135 [OP] Member

Member:
    New to the site and have been reading thread after thread for a clear cut answer to my question..I have the bilstein 5100's all the way around on my 12 trd sport an that's it..so could I fit 285's (fierce attitude) with minor trimming or rubbing an be ok? Thanks for the help!

2. Apr 12, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    I am not an expert but it all depends on your backspacing/ offset on the rims.

I just got a 3" lift and went to 285s. My rims are 4.5' backspacing and 0 offset. I had some rubbing and did some trimming and it is pretty good now.

My buddy has 285s on his with the stock sport wheels and he needed wheel spacers to prevent rubbing. He does have his flaps still on the front and that rubs pretty bad. I bet if he took those off and did a small amount of trimming he would be fine.

goodluck.

3. Apr 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    Welcome to TW.
    285's will rub, it would be better to lift, trim, cut cab mount, & wheel spacers.
    Good luck

4. Apr 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    elykTacos

elykTacos "Its all ball bearings nowadays"

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011, DBLCB , 4x4, Sport, Grey
    Custom sliders, Bilstien 5100s in front - 5100's + AAL + TSB in rear, dif drop, LED's in scoop, CB installed in console, flashlight mount, window tint, locking compartment in bed.
    I just had 285's installed on Wednesday and I have billies all around and the TSB leaf pack in the back.

I am getting some rubbing when backing out of stuff and a little when in a deep turn.

I am going to do some trimming today/this week and I will hopefully get rid of it.

I got these Fuel Trophy 552 wheels with a 5.0 back spacing.
    http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel.cfm?id=3331

[​IMG]

Ill try to post some details on the trimming needed. Based on threads I have read, this will happen.

People trim. Go wheeling. Trim some more. Drive around. Trim more. Get a lift. Get bigger tires. Trim...

5. Apr 13, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    jtm1135

jtm1135 [OP] Member

Member:
    Appreciate the response peeps. Think im gonna just go for it an go with 285's one last thing..i just came across the eibach coilovers that go along with the 5100's would this help alot??

6. Apr 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    Shane84

Shane84 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4 MGM
    Rear diff breather mod, Billy 5100 shocks. eibach coils at 2.5" front lift, Icon progressive AAL 2" rear lift, hypertech 730117 speedo corrector, cmc
    OP, I guess you've got the factory sport coils on your front 5100's? How much lift do you have on the front? What wheels?

The Eibach coils are longer and stiffer spring rate than the factory coils, so they achieve lift without being compressed as much. Actually you're not supposed to go more than the 2nd clip groove from the bottom with the Eibachs. I have Eibachs on my 5100's and got 2.5" lift up front.

As far as wheels go you'll need either aftermarket wheels with about 4.5" backspacing, or 1.25" wheel spacers on your factory rims, so that you won't rub your UCAs and spindles.

I still have the factory UCA on mine and my alignment is acceptable. It gets a little skaty on the highway if it's very windy due to less caster but I'm used to it. Good thing is that with my 285's I only had to trim plastic and not the cab mount. Aftermarket UCA's will allow prime alignment specs but also brings the front tires rearwards closer to the cab mounts.

Products Discussed in

To Top