1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stripped drain plug hole, told normal? Lol

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NJZombieResponse, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Apr 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    a 3? damn..thought it was tougher than that. haha..

shit. so i exaggerated a bit..

2. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You just drilkl the threads out, and as monkeyfoof said, insert the coil, tighten, and insert new bolt. They hold very well. Ive used them on engine cases, intakes, valve covers, etc., but draw the line on oil pans. The oil in the pan is the life blood. If something goes wrong, and it ends up dumping out, that motor is toasted before you know it.

3. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    Nmwill

Nmwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 trd
    Blacked out emblems and grill. 265/75's shortened antenna
    Drill, tap, install helicoil. Done. Pretty simply if you can handle a drill and tap set. Not simple if an oil change is too hard for you though. Haha

4. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    X2. There isn't enough material in the rolled hole of the pan to helicoil properly.

This is the kind of things that happen often when untrained "lube monkeys" are used for routine servicing to keep the costs to the consumer at a minimum and the profits to the company at a maximum. Anyone who thinks a dealership uses techs for servicing on a regular basis has a poor understanding of what really goes on behind the scenes.

Speak to the service manager, have him correct his employee's error to your satisfaction (new lower pan and plug) and move on to more important things in life.

5. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Fixed that for you.;)

6. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    if your gonna helicoil the plug.... why not drill and tap for next bigger size plug and forgo the helicoil?

7. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Why bother dicking with a helicoil, like Rich says, get the lower pan and replace. Just make sure that black Toyota FIPG sealant is all the way around the bolt holes. I remember someone else had this happen on here and he didn't go all the way around the bolt holes with it.

Then get rid of the drain plug and upgrade to a Fumoto valve and never worry about it again.

8. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    NOT Normal

I have changed oil in my truck 52 times and have not stripped the drain plug. Make them correct their mistake.

9. Apr 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I don't trust these dealers at all... I sat at the dealer in Newton toyotA world for a rav4 recall, and witnessed the service rep bringing out some other customer's cabin filter horizontally topped with a disgusting mouse nest ( about 10 inches tall no less!) and putting on them on the spot for a new $75 cabin filter. They were 'retired' old looking folks too, and probably had nothing better to spend money on, so they willingly obliged.

I don't feel bad saying it, but it comes down to people getting hired by the dealership that cause these problems... Are they like the c players so the dealers don't need to pay them well?

10. Apr 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    This happened to me also. I had an 05 Lexus that I "always" took to the same Toyota dealer for oil changes..... Except for the one time I went to a different dealer who told me my pan was stripped. They swore they found it like that and my normal dealer blamed the other shop. I fought it for a bit and eventually gave up. Sucked

11. Apr 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    NJZombieResponse

NJZombieResponse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 TRD Sport quad cab
    Billet Grills, AllPro front winch, AllPro rear bumper, Rugged Ridge 9k winch, 3 piece tri-fold hard bed cover, locking tailgate, real tree interior, JDM Black headlights, 8000K H.I.D. conversion on headlights, 4" PIAA ION yellow fog lamps, 2/3" Rough Country lift, 17x9 wheels with 265/70R17
    Whatever the case may be, I'll never let that dealer touch my truck ever again! And for 50 bucks like posted in the link might do that but give them every bad review I can so this don't happen to anyone else there.

12. Apr 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    NJZombieResponse

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Billet Grills, AllPro front winch, AllPro rear bumper, Rugged Ridge 9k winch, 3 piece tri-fold hard bed cover, locking tailgate, real tree interior, JDM Black headlights, 8000K H.I.D. conversion on headlights, 4" PIAA ION yellow fog lamps, 2/3" Rough Country lift, 17x9 wheels with 265/70R17
    Spoke with the manager and Toyota will replace the pan for free for me. They would not admit guilt but when I said "so either ur telling me that all Toyotas are junk or one of ur techs cross threaded it. I don't think it's Toyota, I swear by them and my truck is not a piece of shit." he said "well I guess things could happen I suppose...." I told him I w ant his shops ASE MASTER TECH fixing it and nobody else. I want it in the front Bay that I can see it by the door so I can check and make sure that it's really the master tech I met working on it and not some 19yr old kid too busy Facebookin to realize he's over tightening the bolts. He was more than happy to accommodate me especially when I slapped a stack of recipts from his dealership doing ALL my work on his desk. I still won't be going back there after this tho....

13. Apr 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    That doesn't sound unreasonable. I know that you "can" over tighten a oil pan bolt but "most" people that know what they are doing wouldn't. But... asking for a new oil pan and getting the "best" guy to work on it sounds about right to me. It's what I would have done if I didn't change my own oil.

14. Apr 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    NJZombieResponse

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    They broke it because they couldn't even change the oil right so now I want the best guy to fix it so I know it's done right. My son will be doing all my work from now on, after all he installed my lift, winch, lights, and bumpers. I just always went to the dealer so I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff happening at other shops and didn't want to bother my son to do it for me. I'd do it myself but at my age laying down on the concrete isn't too fun.

15. Apr 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Glad to hear they're taking case of it finally.

16. Apr 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Understand that!

17. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    tam

tam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tam
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reasons to steal my truck...
    Icon Ext. Travel C/O, TC UCA, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, CF hood, Glass bedsides, Doug Thorley cat-back, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16
    Justice! Might not be a bad idea to go back if you're satisfied with the repair because if their service advisors are smart they'll give your job to the most experienced non-FU because the last thing they want is for you to have another reason to rip them a new a-hole. Make sure you also do something to mark the old oil pan so they don't just try to pull the wool over your eyes. You might have that already covered though with demanding to be able watch the repairs being made.

Did you end up hearing back from corporate at all?

18. Apr 17, 2014 at 3:30 AM
    NJZombieResponse

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    My son marked the pan yesterday just in case. The service manager got back to me before I called and since their correcting it I never called corporate.

19. Apr 17, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    I really understand about the age thing. Good job! getting them to do things the right way. The honest way.

20. Apr 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Probably normal for that service guy to have no trans fluid and 11qts of oil in the case too!

Products Discussed in

To Top