1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Advice Badly Needed!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomachic, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Apr 2, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    tacomachic

tacomachic [OP] Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Off-Road in sexy Super White
    So I'll be getting myself a tacoma here in the next week or so, and am looking to finance a lift and tires as well. Even though I've searched the forum, I still have a TON of questions!!!

It'll be an 06 4X4 off-road or sport double cab (white if you're curious). I like the look of a 3 inch lift with 33s or 32s. My questions/confusion is about the type of lift I should get. The blocks, the add-a-leafs, the coil spacers, etc. What are the pros and cons? And it seems you use different types of lifting to the front versus the rear? I'm looking at cheaper which I gather means a lift that doesn't require replacing the shocks... is that right? If you could give rough estimate on prices that would be awesome...

Not gunna lie, I'm vain and the lift is mostly for looks. I will be using the truck to haul toys and possibly smaller trailers. I won't be doing any crazy off roading, but will def need it capable for some off-road situations. (I've been off-roading in a camry:p, and decided... it's time:))

I'm looking for a cheaper lift, with the least amount of damage to the truck. I've heard of the 33's rubbing on the (UCF?) joint... What is that? and is that only with stock rims, because I plan to upgrade rims. Also, will a spacer solve that rubbing problem, or add more problems?

With a 3" lift and 33's, do you get rubbing elsewhere on the body or have you needed to trim anything?

Also I've read about the TSB to add leafs in the rear to help with bottoming out. Would that be a waste of time since it won't give me the lift I'm looking for and am planning on getting it lifted anyway?

Sorry so many questions... All advice appreciated!!
    :D:D:D PS. I am SO STOKED to finally have a TACOMA!!!! :D:D:D

2. Apr 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do a little bit of searching .... Upper blue bar where it says *search*. There is tons of information about lifts out there already.

But first off....relax and slow down. Get your truck first and BOND with it for a bit. A lift can come at anytime. Don't rush it.....

Research research and search search - you'll learn alot. You definately don't want to rush into getting something and regret it later.

3. Apr 2, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...You are putting a lot of stuff out there...We can answer these questions...but you are better off readinga bout the things you want to know and then coming back with specific questions.

One note is...try to get the TSB springs ASAP...all the rest will come with time!!

4. Apr 3, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    tacomachic

tacomachic [OP] Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Off-Road in sexy Super White
    Haha. Thanks guys. truth be told. I think I just went crazy cuz the truck I'm getting needs new tires ASAP, so I thought I'd get the lift figured out then only have to buy one set of tires instead of two. (since the big ones won't fit til I get him lifted)
    I've decided on an AAL for the rear and a coil lift for the front. (after using that nifty *search* bar! ;)) Now it just comes down to prices and what people like better...

5. Apr 3, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  6. Apr 3, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    keep doing research, because depending on how much lift your gonna go in the front you may need more parts than just the lift. But im pretty sure that 99% of your questions can be answered through the search here. the members here take care of that other 1%.:)

7. Apr 3, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I have a 2006 DC TRD SPORT as well and I love it. I DID put a 2.5" lift kit on it. The kit was made by Fat Bob's Garage and it is excellent. It has 2.5" front spacers and the rear AAL's. I am not sure why others are saying not to use the spacers. I found that my truck is handling a heck of a lot better and it looks SMOKIN'. The only bad thing is that the front and rear are 1/2" off. The AAL's did not lift it quite high enough, so I am purchasing a body lift from "4Crawler" in that size. I am also running 17 inch rims and the tires are BFG M/T 255/75/17.

8. Apr 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Oh, and I almost forgot. I have NO mechanical training and little skill but was able to put the kit on by myself.

9. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    For the record, I started with the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks and more recently went to the Toytec Coil Over Kit (converts the 5100's to coil overs). I also did an AAL in the rear. Great lift, pretty economic, and it works well. What kind of budget do you have? Feel free to PM me with any questions. I have a couple of pictures of my truck in the gallery if you want to have a look.

10. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    I went with a 2" spacer lift and 265/75/16's. Looks pretty good, but I will be swapping out to a set of Eibach lift coils because I found the front to be a little soft and want to firm it up. I also have the rear TSB and does make a big difference.

11. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    What are you all talking about "A REAR TSB"????

12. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd just go with the larges tires that the fender wells will allow and call it good. You don't seem to know much about lifts. Changes driveline angles. Steering linkages. I personally wouldn't take a daily driver and lift it.

13. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:

This TSB:

T-SB-0305-08 SEP 08 Suspension - Rear Spring Harsh Ride

Products Discussed in

To Top