1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer cap question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bassfishindoc, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    bassfishindoc

bassfishindoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OFF ROAD 4x4
    Factory
    Hey all, I've been a lurker here for a while but this is my first post. I just bought a 2014 Taco and I want to put a shell on it. I am getting a 100 RCC because of the reinforced roof capacity and the ability to carry up to 400 pounds. There is where the difficulty lies. My questions are as follows:

1. Is the only way to get the 400 pound capacity to install the Dewalt commercial grade rack? Does this rack come bolted directly to the camper shell or does it have a track/gutter?

2. What would the weight capacity be if the Thule Aero Bar rack was installed? Does this system come mounted directly on the shell or does it have tracks/gutters?

3. I know there is an option to install just the tracks. Are these tracks compatible with the ARB roof rack system? If installed on the 100 RCC, are these tracks capable of handling that ARB roof rack system plus a load with a total weight of up to 400 pounds?

As you can see I want a camper shell that is capable of handling a load, I am just trying to figure out the best way to go about that. There are so many options and I have searched everywhere, but cannot find specific answers. Any help would be appreciated, thanks all!

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have a 100RCC , the roof is reinforced to take the extra weight , so you need to match that with a rack system that will carry the rated 400 lbs

The DeWalt ProRac system is discontinued and no longer offered by Leer on their commercial caps , I believe they now come with a heavy duty Thule system , I believe the Thule system uses tracks rather than the 4 mounting pylons of the DeWalt system but I am not 100% sure on that , it would be a good idea to email Leer and ask

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  4. Apr 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    MarkH

MarkH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    This might not be what you are looking for, but I have a Leer 1800CC with the RackIt 3000 Series rack on my truck. I ordered the Aluminum version, so the rack without the bed mounts only weighs around 85 pounds. The mounting kit is probably another 20 pounds or so. RackIt also says this rack will carry about 800 pounds.

20140415105415_47a031dae1745221efe675691765c197e6fe6f7a.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top