1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I bought a supercharger!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sterdog, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Apr 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    OMG I just got off the phone with Cochrane Toyota near Calgary and I pulled the trigger. It's not because I need to go fast, but because I love my Tacoma and this will increase the versatility of my small truck.

I have a few questions for people who do own the supercharger.

1. Did you end up buying the URD undersized stealth pulley? Is it really that big a difference and if I buy the tools is it an easy one person job?

2. I currently have a Volant CAI and American Thunder exhaust on my tacoma, will I see better gains in power than a stock truck with the Supercharger or is that just a pipe dream?

Oh and if you're going to bother telling me how I should of bought a sports car or a bigger truck, don't. Thanks!

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    The Volant CAI will void the supercharger warranty unless it's approved as a TRD compatible part. Since the TRD CAI isn't 'approved', I doubt the Volant is. The under drive pulley will make a difference but then again it will void the warranty if they catch it.

I would go w/ the stock set up until you find you need the other parts. Or do it stealthily.

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The CAI is already on the truck, so I won't pull it off for the sake of going to the dealer over warranty. Even if they somehow mark down the fact it's in there in the Toyota system I'm not too worried, always fearing warranty repercussions for such relatively minor alterations is not my cup of tea.

If the local dealer, who is not installing the supercharger, tries to claim that my intake did damage to my truck, I'll simply point out there own faults. Such as how they used the wrong weight oil and left an empty quart again the fan belt when they did my first oil change. I have pictures and a note from the service manager as proof, and that could cause more damage than my intake ever could.

This is the major reason why Cochrane Toyota, a dealer who does a few S/C a year, is installing one on my truck and not Lethbridge Toyota.

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    1. I got the 2.55 but I would recommend the 2.85 if your not going to compensate for the heat and if you dont want to push your supercharger to the limits. a 2.85 is as far as you want to go.
    2. Do you have the stock Y pipe and headers on there your missing out on some power. I highly recommend a piggy back ECU or you will always have untapped power.
    Feel free to PM me I have done alot with tacomas and im glad to help.
    Also Redlantern, Torpspd, Toon314, Justus and Super Werty [​IMG] also have good information and have heavily modified thier tacomas at one point so I value thier opinion.
    Redlanterns build: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/262425-redlanterns-brokanic-build.html
    Superwerty killing a 1/4 mile in 12 something seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73xdygnTRO0

You tell em Sterdawg! :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I had a lot of time to read topics on the TRD Supercharger in this forum. Seems a lot of guy would rather just trade there Tacoma on a coupe and drive that fast. A coupe can't tow, can't haul many people, and is useless for half the year in Canada. A larger truck consumes more gas, is harder to fit in a garage, and I get a free 3/4 ton for work so why would I ever need a half ton?

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I'm interested in new some new headers and a new y pipe soon, but I really had to scrape the edges of the plate to get the supercharger so it'll be a while for that. Also headers are definitely warranty voiding in terms of the CAT's and O2 sensors, so I'll avoid that till the truck is totally off warranty. I like skirting the edge of the warranty where a dealer won't have much to stand on if he tries to deny a repair, I don't like jumping right off the edge of the cliff [​IMG].

7. May 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    stolleee

stolleee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Supercharged and 1970 Toyota FJ40
    Fox shocks, TRD Supercharger, leather, wheels/tires, exhaust, audio.... etc....etc
    I put the TRD supercharger on the truck and freaking love it. I cant imagine not having it and that power now. Have magnaflow exhaust and stock intake..... Need to do more.

Just ordered an Edge CTS to accompany it (mainly a toy)....

8. May 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    sgscholla

sgscholla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reston VA
    Vehicle:
    13 Sport 4x4 DCSB.
    Pyrite on Bronze
    I had an 07 with a supercharger, now i have a 13 without... I feel like im driving underwater, towing an anchor.. you will love it....

9. May 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    I don't see your pont because... Racetruck.

10. May 16, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    robotninjasrule

robotninjasrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    Stereo I am so jealous! Trying to convince my wife it's a good idea to head over to Cochrane Toyota and pick a supercharger up!

11. May 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :D. My fiance thinks my truck is sweet, she hated the costs but agreed with the results!

Cochrane Toyota did mine. Service guys were great and they lent me a caddy for the day to tour around Calgary. They had the best price in Canada on the Supercharger itself, make sure if you get them to do it you reference this ad:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-...own/536837551?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It'll get you about 500 extra bucks off :headbang:. Another word of advice, they will want your truck for 2 days but it's BS. They only say that in case the guy who does most of the truck mods is sick or something. Push them to finish it in one, make up something if you have to, and they'll have it ready in 6-7 hours.

My truck is not a racetruck. IMHO the Tacoma should of come with an option for this much power from factory, like every other truck does. More power makes for a more capable truck when used smartly. It's not just to go fast, though that can be entertaining and expensive when you get caught!

I'd rather build something from scratch if I'm going to race something. Lowered trucks here are good for 6 months of the year and get damaged super easily with the conditions of our roads even in summer. Look at all the mustangs and camaro's driving around with side skirt or body damage from the potholes they didn't see in time! Check out my other threads, I mentioned in Canada they are now selling the X-Runner, which is a terrible idea for so many reasons.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  12. May 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Also, UPDATE:

My MPG IMPROVED :eek: with the TRD Supercharger. I think my truck didn't have enough back pressure with the exhaust I put in. In other words my engine lost efficiency when it was naturally asperated in exchange for a little bit more power with all the increased system airflow mods I've done. With the supercharger I think all my mods are actually working together with the engine rather than against the engine, hence the ~ 2 mpg better milage I get in my truck now.

It almost makes up for the $1.41/L premium gas I have to put in it...

Toyota is also a bit funny when it comes to all of these mods and even there superchargers. I've been told you can no longer get a TRD supercharger for a Canadian Tundra without ordering it from the states. No matter who installs it, if the truck is driven in Canada off comes you warrenty. Apperently the iForce engine can't handle all the extra boost when the temps drop down to around -25 c, and if you romp on it you'll go very lean and possibly damage the engine. Yet the Tacoma magically avoids that problem with it's 4.0 L engine...

In the end it all comes down to what the dealer will support. Mines fucked up with a service, so he owes me anyways. I doubt he'd make an issue of any repair at this point. If he did I would get my buddy who works at the Hyundai dealer across from them to park my Taco in front of the Toyota dealership with a lemon sign on it everyday, and see how long it takes to get bought back :)

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  13. May 18, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited

Products Discussed in

To Top