1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

eastwood rust encapsulator and fast etch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VonElling, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Apr 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    VonElling

VonElling [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this but am unsure how much to buy. Has anyone used this in the past that can give some insight? I plan to get the aerosol cans.

I have minimal surface rust on my 13 taco and want to nip this in the butt ASAP

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    Biodegradable

Biodegradable Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 DBLC LB
    ALL-PRO Skid, Nokian R-SUV winters, weather tech, bak flip fibermax
    Meh, go with Krown, Amsoil HD metal protector, Fluid film.

Re-apply every year in the fall before winter and if you want on the splash area's in spring and your golden. I don't like the words "rust encapsulate" but I'd rather just oil those areas and they will not get worse.

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    I've used Fast Etch on my '67 Ford before. This stuff is like water, at least it was when I bought it a few years ago. Best applied on horizontal surfaces, because the rust has to be kept wet while it converts to zinc phosphate.

You could soak rags in it and wrap your frame to keep the moisture against the rust, but that's a bitch. Used Rust Encapsulator on the Tacoma before as well. That peeled off after a winter, so durability sucks. And yes, this isn't my first rodeo, I followed directions to the letter.

For the Taco last year I went with Rust Bullet paint, then topcoated with Rustoleum black, then topcoated the whole frame and underside with Fluid Film. I was under there a few days ago, still looks like I just did it., no rust either.

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    Just did a little work today. Had a bit of rust along the welds on the frame where the frame goes from boxed to open C channel. Wire wheeled as much as I could off. Used eastwood pre to clean the areas. Hit the boxed section with a can of internal frame coating the best I could. Then used the encapsulator on the areas I had rust. Two coats. Then used extreme chassis black on top of that. Two coats. Supposed to crap on us again tomorrow and Thursday so I'll get the Fluid Film on another time. I focused on areas that had rust which surprised me with how little there was for a Taco coming from spending most of its life on the east coast after seeing pictures of other frames. I had purchased 2 of each just in case, but only ended up using one. Time will tell how well it holds up!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. Apr 16, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    VonElling

VonElling [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    Rattle can rustoleum black? was one quart enough for the rust bullet? that shits not cheap haha

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Yes, 1 quart was plenty, I even had some left over for another job (basement bulkhead door). Sounds like a pint would work for what you have, my frame was probably about 50-60% surface rust. I picked up a quart of Rustoleum satin black at Home Depot, brushing was safer than spraying and getting overspray all over everything.

7. Apr 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I've had great luck with rust encapsulator in the past but I always used the quart cans. A few years back I had a pretty crusty 96 and I used the spray cans. All peeled off by spring. On my current truck I used the KB coatings chassis saver kit on the outside, eastwood internal frame coating on the inside, and I fluid filmed it. That was last fall and it appears that once I pressure wash off the fluid film it should be shiny underneath still.

Products Discussed in

To Top