1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Redesign... Why?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RearViewMirror, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    VonElling

VonElling Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    The new tacomas don't have dual vvti? I thought the 13 I bought did... DOH!! I will say that I was disappointed they hadn't updated the powerplant. Same reasons stated before, full sized trucks have much more power with the same if not better fuel economy. BUT the reason I bought my taco, was the tried and true design. It's battle tested, and earned it's place in my heart. If I have issues or want to work on something I won't be the first.

2. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    Auzea

Auzea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Hendersonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement DCSB OR MT
    Stock boi
    I hope GM's release of the new Canyon/Colorado sparks some sort of fire inside the eyes of Toyota. Of course, the biggest rival to the Taco is the Frontier, but depending on market share taken by GM's release, I wouldn't be surprised if a new Tacoma is in the works for the next 3-4 years.

3. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    They need to improve the suspension, but I agree, better to leave body style the way it is now versus square/boxy looking with bulging headlights. I wanna puke every time I see the 2014 4runner.

4. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma

This

5. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    i dont see how you guys say that the full sizes get better MPG.... the silverado my aunt has gets garbage MPG compared to my taco, in fact im actually rivaling my dad's 4 cylinder Aztek for MPG, this truck gets 19 city and 20-25 highway if you dont drive like an ass

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Or..... You could get under your truck and clean the shit out of it like I do and not worry about it. That's how I get around that issue.

7. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    I drive like an ass.....gas mileage is terrible.

8. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    Jkinz11

Jkinz11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sk
    Vehicle:
    13 limited DC
    I came from a reg cab manual 2.3L 2008 ford ranger (2WD) to a 2013 DCLB 4x4 tacoma and couldn't be happier. It's a perfect sized truck. I got stuck 5-6 times per year in the nasty winters up here with the ranger (sometimes stuck just out front of my driveway). The gas mileage on the ranger was great but I will take capability in this climate over MPGs any day. I can park my tacoma in my garage with no issues. The $80 to fill is nothing compared to the $140 my buddies pay to fill up their full sized trucks. I will take the "underpowered and old reliable" engine! It's simple and I like that about it.

9. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    judgeman6970

judgeman6970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Long Island, NY
    This...is why I just bought my 2014, didn't want any new re-design:p

10. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Shouldn't have to crawl under a vehicle and treat the frame. Never have had to do it on any vehicle I've ever owned. Besides, you can't fix rot...

image.jpg

11. Apr 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    VonElling

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    This will sound lame... But my dad had tacomas growing up that was an 01 and an 05. My best friend got one out of high school and I just got mine now that I could afford it. And getting in my truck every day reminds me of my dad and buddy. Which is comforting when you live far from home. Lame I know, but if they got redesigned I wouldn't feel any emotion attachment to the new ones.

12. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    VonElling

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    Ouch!! That really sucks. Yea I'd rather the frames be built right from the beginning. But let's face it. If the frames didn't rust out from under them they would never sell new trucks because we'd all still be driving our old ones!

13. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    This right here. Functionality and reliability trumps well over new tech which given the fact that people want more features (which translates into more shit that can break) these days, I am glad they keep these trucks very meat and potatoes vs. every bell and whistle known to mankind.

It has nothing to do with the engines and more to do with the aerodynamics of how high and how a truck is shaped. The inherent design of what a truck is, is not meant to utilize maximum MPG's. They are workhorses and should be treated as such. If you want better gas mileage get a sedan/coupe vehicle, simple as that, they engineer them to specifically be as aerodynamic as possible while still being comfortable. The fact they are lower to the ground has a lot to do with it too.

14. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Awe..thats sweet.

15. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I don't understand this. Steel by the universe's design is prone to rust at some point in time. I understand manufacturers for Toyota frames seem to give a sub-par factory finish/frame, but sooner or later you will see rust, which is especially true for those up in areas that see salt every winter.

A big problem with all the rusty frames popping up is people thinking the rust problem has been eradicated for 2nd gens, however 05/06 owners are now seeing otherwise.

But preemptive protection goes a long way, for example, my dad bought his 04 in Hawaii (had it there 3 years) and has the frame coated from factory, and to this day not hardly damn spec of rust, and no perforation in the slightest to be found.

It is kinda like buying a sugar cube and placing it in water, and then expecting it not to degrade over time without it being protected by a ziploc bag or something. Why not add the ziploc if it means your sugar cube lasts 10x as long or until the bag starts to degrade?

16. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    mshultz

mshultz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wooster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red
    Me, too. When I started hearing rumors that the regular cab would be discontinued, I bought one. It was good timing. This past winter was horrible. In fact, there were a couple of days when I was glad I had 9" of ground clearance, so I did not have to worry about high-centering.

The 2.7L 4 cylinder is fine. I am not interested in direct injection, turbochargers, diesels, or hybrids. I just want a low sticker price. The 4 speed automatic is fine. I like having a torque converter. You just can never know when you might get stuck in a parade.

I would be in favor of a hot-dipped galvanized frame and other underbody parts, however, for those of us unfortunate enough to live in a salt-belt state.

17. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Craig, It sounds like he needs to see a picture of your frame. :D

18. Apr 16, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I could have stopped that. Just sayin ;)

19. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM
    sgtnewundies

sgtnewundies Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Florida, Citrus County
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport red
    Working on it now....UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    It cracks me up when people don't take care of their stuff and blame others for it.

20. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:54 AM
    NCtaco914

NCtaco914 MALLIN'CRAWLIN'

Member:
    First Name:
    NEIL
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD O/R
    I was considering selling my 13' until its to late if Toyota actually produces a better Tacoma but, I really doubt it. Trucks unfortunately are becoming more about luxury and adding more crap that isnt necessary imo. My plan is to pay of my 13' and do a d4d swap and build my own 30mpg diesel. Plus Nissan already jumped on the Cummins band wagon and the possibility of Toyota now doing it is alarming. I'll keep it Toyota :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top