1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tactical Armor Group Bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jcm5083, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Apr 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    jcm5083

jcm5083 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Bellefonte, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Base
    So I smacked a deer...one that cost $5,010.00 so I figured why not do the TAG bumper while I'm going to have this truck in pieces. I ordered it to my liking and called and asked how long until shipping....60-90 days :confused:

2. Apr 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    60 days is probably not out of line with many of the fabricators on this forum. If the TAG bumper is the one you like, I would not necessarily be put off by the lead time.

3. Apr 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
  4. Apr 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    jcm5083

jcm5083 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Bellefonte, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Base
    good point. i'll shut my impatient trap...

5. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Formerly crappy and currently with a new and lame tacticool name. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    Echodawg

Echodawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and Things!
    For what its worth I had ordered a swing away tire carrier/bumper from them for my Yukon back when they were Kennesaw Mountain. After the "expected" time frame came and went I was told several times "its getting painted, gonna ship tomorrow". This went on for a few weeks. Finally received it, it was ok but far from great, lots of misalignments in places. I had to install my own latch because there was no way I was gonna trust the one they had on there. Basically you get what you pay for, there was a reason it was cheaper then all the other guys. Never again. YMMV.

7. Jul 6, 2014 at 3:29 AM
    jcm5083

jcm5083 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Bellefonte, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Base
    Well I've finally received the bumper at just under 90 days. It was a really frustrating wait when every time I would call to inquire about completion and shipment it started with "next week" until I lost my cool on the phone. They told me it was in paint and shipping in 2 days--2 weeks later no shipment. I called and got their guarantee that it would ship the same week...shipped at the end of the next week. On the good side, they did not charge me for shipping.

As for the bumper itself, I was not impressed with the craftsmanship. It looks like they covered their unskilled welds with some kind of RTV or sealant and then painted over it. A lot of the paint they put on was scuffed off from poor packaging during shipment. It was fixed with a 30 minute sanding job and some Duplicolor bedliner.
    The foglamp recesses look like a 3rd grader made them and then they were welded and RTVed in by a 2nd grader--a really sloppy job with two spots where it looks like the fabricator wiped the RTV off on the back side of the bumper and it was then painted over. From the outside view you don't notice as much of the shoddy work.
    Installation was pretty straight-forward. The only small loop i was thrown for was that the mounting brackets on the bumper were on the wrong sides. Fitment was much more snug than I expected after having to clean up their careless craftsmanship.

I ordered the rubber dock bumpers as a $40 option-which they sent the bumpers but no mounting hardware (bolts & brackets). So there was another bit of fabrication on my part to get these mounted.
    The Hella foglamps were easy to mount and align with a few extra washers for spacing.

In the end of the day of what should've been 2-3 hours of installation ONLY--it was 7 hours re-working, refinishing, and then installing. Thank god it actually looks pretty good on the truck. Photos to come...

8. Jul 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Can't say I didn't warn you.

9. Jul 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    You ordered from a company that has a really shit reputation what did you expect? People even warned you in this thread...

10. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Well technically he stated that he ordered the bumper already... then made the post..

so he received the responses after he made the purchase.

It kinda sucks you got the run around amd the quality was lacking OP... I kinda did the same thing ordering from Trail Gear--But thankfully my transaction was great, shipping was fast, and the bumper I absolutely love and have had no issues with as far as quality and fitment.

11. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    Brute Force Fab makes nice stuff, just be ready to WAIT on it if you order. www.bruteforcefab.com Billy is a great guy just suppeeerrrr busy, I love mine tho. PS, I waited about 3 months..

12. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    also I see your Army, let him know your Military if you order from him :) he supports our kind.

13. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Yeah, wish you would have asked about them on here before you bought it. We could have told you about them. I saw one of their bumpers and wasn't impressed with them at all. Really crappy company that lacks in customer service and quality workmanship. Sounds like you got it worked out though.

14. Jul 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Be prepared to wait with most of the fabricators. Not counting any communications Billy may have missed, but 3 months is actually a reasonable time for a fab bumper.

15. Aug 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    wildwest

wildwest Do you best and to Hell with the rest.

Member:
    Littleton, nc
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Ome 887's, ome shocks, fj rims, cooper tires, dakars, TAG bumper, custom steps, LR UCAs, CARHARTT seat covers, husky liners
    TAG bumpers are THE BEST. That is if you dont mind a 200 lb $900+ bumper coming to you without instructions, 3 months late, and the paint so crapy it wears off in the first year, then go ahead and get one of there products.

Products Discussed in

To Top