1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jefferson, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I'm curious how you really came across an "extra" overhead console?

Didn't a member on here recently have his stolen (along with the head unit and wheels)? Are these really that hot of an item that thieves target them?

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I saw that! I jokingly said member Sideways steals them.. but he doesnt (from what i know!!) BUT yah, i saw some member got it stolen.. ive never heard that people steal them except for that one case. Mine is still there and working!

I came across mine here in our ForSale section. You can sometimes find them on Ebay too.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    tacomatx

tacomatx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sambeux
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tacoma Doble Ca w/ 3in lift
    3in lift Satoshi Grill blacked out head lights and tail lights
    Does any one still have a overhead console for sale? I tried to resodder mine and it still does not work.

4. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i know of someone who has the new part that fits inside your console. I'll PM you his email and you should tell him that i sent ya. He'll sell you the part you need because it turns out it didnt work for his truck

5. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    grammy

grammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 v6 X-Cab
    Does anyone know if there is any way to get the 08 overhead console to work with the 2009s???

6. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    i'm pretty sure i've covered this before in this thread - but the 09 console is totally different. It recieves and sends signals differently, so will only work on 09 trucks. Vice versa as well, the 08 consoles will not work in 09 trucks..

TRDSport10 likes this.
  7. Jul 7, 2009 at 2:05 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Does anyone know if the non-sr5 models have the wiring in place?

I'd look for the wiring but honestly I'd have no idea what I was looking for :eek:. My bf was going to install a map/compass mirror in my truck, but I wonder if I have the wiring for the console.

8. Jul 7, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    jla888

jla888 Well-Known Member

Member:
    without going out to my truck right now and looking, im guessing these dont fit in regular cabs? i dont recall mine having an area for that large of a recess.

9. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    ive helped a few people install this now, and one of which WAS an SR5 model that DIDNT have the wiring. Two ways you can check: One is get over to the horns and feel for that plug i described in post #1. If you cannot locate it, you'd have to either install it yourself (ugh) or give up. Look at my pics.. it should be only in that location. two - take down the stock console and see if you have the plug for the temp unit inside the cab.

The one guy i helped who DIDNT have the wiring happened to have the plug inside the cab under the overhead unit, but did not have the plug for the temperature sending unit behind the grill.. SO, check for these first before buying your overhead console.

10. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    That's how mine was had the plug for the overhead but no wires from the temp sensor to the overhead so here's a write up for adding the wires for the temp sensor to the overhead. :)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/39264-ambient-temperature-gauge-sensor-install.html

11. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
  12. Jul 8, 2009 at 12:57 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    :D Thanks to both of you!
    I'll have to check to see if I have all or part of the wiring. My bf can handle doing the wiring, but I'll have to see if its just easier to install a temp/compass mirror. I'll give him this info ;).

13. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Id say install the mirror. I think its too much hassle AND those mirrors look stock. If they didnt look stock, i'd say go for the wiring project.. but i think its too much trouble.. and thsoe mirrors are usually auto dim too, right? :D

TRDSport10 likes this.
  14. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:07 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    He's installed one on his z71 before and said he could do it to mine pretty easily. It looks pretty stock and I'm sure they have an auto dimmer option, he doesn't have that on his though. I never asked for a temp/compass, but every time he is in my truck he says I 'need' one haha. I think someone of here installed the mirror, I'll browse around.
    Thanks for the input ;).

15. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Nice write up but I couldn't seem to find any cupholders in my overhead console :confused: :D & I kinda like having the garage door opener holder. Wonder why didn't they use same color lighting as the rest of the dash.

16. Jul 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    thanks - and yes, 19 cupholders is lazy.. shoulda put one up there and made it a even 20! A full drink above your head will make you pay attention in the morning...

17. Jul 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    mgtaco

mgtaco Member

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Hey all,

I have just started the quest of the overhead console with compass/temperature gauge.

My taco is an 09 DC and the wires/sensor are there.

If someone run into one, could you please let me know?

Appreciated!

18. Jul 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Good luck - as stated earlier, only 09 consoles will work in 09 trucks. and only 05-08 consoles will work in 05-08 trucks.. just make sure you get an 09 console.

19. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    my 09 access cab 4x4 4-cyl has the wiring...and the temperature sensor mounted in front of the radiator. Now i just gotta find a console.

20. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would like to add the compass/temp gauge when I get mine. I thought about buying a TRD but a LB DC is a hard find.

My question is for '09 TRD owners. Is Homelink located in the overhead console as well? I really enjoyed the homelink in my Tahoe and I added it to my Accord.

Products Discussed in

To Top