Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to: Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #61
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
I have a 2010 AC and the wires are there with the Yellow #5 pin as well as the temp sensor under the hood obviously. From what I have read there may be different AC amps sending this signal over pin #5 yellow between the 4 cyl and 6cyl models? Anyone try to use a 2009 console in a 2009+ 4cyl?

Another thought-
If this didnt work on 4cyl because of the AC amp being different, what would prevent me from buying a 2008 console, isolating the #5 pin and running new #5 and #6 wires to the temp sensor? Any why put the #5 pin or the wires if this isn't possible on a 4 cyl?
I cant say too much about the 2009+ models BUT i dont see why you couldnt separate out the wires and do it yourself. Its not that hard when it comes to it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #62
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok - better question

If I were to buy a 2009 console and it didn't work when plugged in, could I still run seperate wires to it or are the circuits on the board different as to not accept the 2 pins directly to the temp sensor. In other words would I be out of luck with the 09 and have to go buy the 2008 one to do the 2 wires directly?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #63
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
Ok - better question

If I were to buy a 2009 console and it didn't work when plugged in, could I still run seperate wires to it or are the circuits on the board different as to not accept the 2 pins directly to the temp sensor. In other words would I be out of luck with the 09 and have to go buy the 2008 one to do the 2 wires directly?
honestly - i have no experience in this BUT its exactly how i was going to wire mine if the wiring harness wasn't available.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #64
Dem1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Demi
Dem1's Tacoma Gallery
Pro write up
Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #66
Once a gorilla always a gorilla
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thomas
Gorilla_97's Tacoma Gallery
I have a quick question about this mod. I've done the research and went looking for the wires needed to do the install. I have the two plugs in the overhead console, but I could not find the plug located around the horns. I did however notice this connector shown in the photo which is sitting kind of on top of the bumper behind the grill. Could this be the connection point for the temp/direction plug?

I have a 2007 PreRunner DC automatic if that is any help.

Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla_97 View Post
I have a quick question about this mod. I've done the research and went looking for the wires needed to do the install. I have the two plugs in the overhead console, but I could not find the plug located around the horns. I did however notice this connector shown in the photo which is sitting kind of on top of the bumper behind the grill. Could this be the connection point for the temp/direction plug?

Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
Thats got something to do with your airbags. I tried to do this mod with another member and the plug wasnt there! Im not sure what causes it to be and not to be (considering this member had the same model as mine exactly). Sometimes you have to run your own wires.. it wouldnt be hard, just irritating.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #68
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla_97 View Post

Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
Thats definitely part of the SRS system, dont touch that unless you really know how the system works. Anything encased in yellow is SRS for future reference.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #69
Once a gorilla always a gorilla
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thomas
Gorilla_97's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the replies! looks like I'll be running my own wires
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #71
bootboiler has a spectacular aura aboutbootboiler has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Suppo
bootboiler's Tacoma Gallery
ohh.... So that is what that thing was.... I moved my horns, and that thing too... Wonder how it will work not that it is behind the battery? Have to say I never look at it though... Trade it for some front seat wet okles and your double holder....
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #72
rayt is on a distinguished road
Name: Ray
rayt's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Tacoma

My 2011 Access Cab Tacoma did not come with an outside temp gauge and compass. Will the overhead console fit in my Tacoma? If yes, where can I order one?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #73
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 2011 Access Cab Tacoma did not come with an outside temp gauge and compass. Will the overhead console fit in my Tacoma? If yes, where can I order one?
If you already have an overhead console with the sunglass holder and garage opener then it's a direct swap. If you don't have an overhead console at all then I am not exactly sure what is involved.

Don't try to order one unless you want to pay $1000 at your local Toyota Dealer. Try to find a used '09 or newer one on this site or ebay.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #74
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great thread and well written instructions. Id like to add some pics and another access option for some who are having a hard time locating the temperature sensor located behind the horn under the hood. There is a plastic cover located above the radiator behind the horns that can be removed. You can see this cover in the 3rd picture of the OP's original instructions. By removing this cover I was able to gain easy access to the sensor plug. Be careful when removing the plastic plugs as they can be fragile. In the third picture you can see the sensor plug in the center of the picture. In my case it was taped to another wire with a single strand of electrical tape. once the tape was removed I was able to reach the plug and snap the sensor into place. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
How to:  Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge-temp1.jpg   How to:  Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge-temp2.jpg   How to:  Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge-temp3.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #75
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
I just pulled off my console for the hell of it, and I see two plugs, one for the lights obviously, and the other is plugged in behind the garage door compartment. Is this the one for the compass? I have a 4 cyl. prerunner. Should I also have the sending unit under the hood? thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #76
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
I just pulled off my console for the hell of it, and I see two plugs, one for the lights obviously, and the other is plugged in behind the garage door compartment. Is this the one for the compass? I have a 4 cyl. prerunner. Should I also have the sending unit under the hood? thanks.
Yes, the second plug is the plug for the compass and you should have the plug for the sending unit under the hood too.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #77
rayt is on a distinguished road
Name: Ray
rayt's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have a grey overhead console for sale that will fit into my 2011 Tacoma that has the compass and overhead temperature gauge? I have heard anything 2009 and later will work.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #78
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt see much by searching, what are those of you with 2012's doing for Temperature read outs?

I have a Gentex GENK30 mirror that i removed from my last truck. My plan was to install this into my 2012 Tacoma. the installation of that mirror is pretty involved.

I have a 2012 Access V6, i understand in 2012 Yota started using the mirror for display from the factory... have any of you had success installing either overhead console or mirror into your 2012's to get this info? maybe there is a better, more clean option than wiring in my aftermarket mirror?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #79
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help finding the sending unit for a compass. I just ordered an overhead console, but before I did I made sure I had the wires for the compass and temp behind the console. I was just reading the write up and checked my truck for the sending unit wiring behind the radiator. I looked everywhere, and found nothing.i see the wires behind the horn, but no plug. Is there somewhere else I can look? Or how would I add my own wires? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #80
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help finding the sending unit for a compass. I just ordered an overhead console, but before I did I made sure I had the wires for the compass and temp behind the console. I was just reading the write up and checked my truck for the sending unit wiring behind the radiator. I looked everywhere, and found nothing.i see the wires behind the horn, but no plug. Is there somewhere else I can look? Or how would I add my own wires? Thanks.
also had the same problem as you. I didn't have a plug for the ambient temp sensor. ended up running my own wires from the 1C connector. check your 1C connector. located on the fuse box driver side. the connector is right next to a red fuse. check pins 1&3 top left-down. if it's not connected to anything that means you just have to run your own wiring.