Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to: Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge

Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
How to: Install Overhead Compass / Temperature Gauge

I'm gonna show you how to install the overhead compass and temperature gauge into your Tacoma if you don't already have it installed from the factory.

First off, get ahold of one of these bad boys:

I got it from our member Sideways. He steals them out of cars. He'll have another sometime soon I'm sure. Mostly because he steals them out of cars. He packed me a sending unit with the console. For a bit i thought maybe you could take the compass out of the console and install it into your own console.. but because of the riveted tabs that would make it very hard to do. Might as well install the whole thing unless you wanna go nutty on an expensive part.. I don't.

So now lets find the plug for the sending unit for the temperature gauge portion of the console. You have to fish for it a bit.. for me, it was tucked away and taped BEHIND the horns. Here's a picture of it looped around in tape off to the left.. (i was laying on the ground, looking up)

The best way to approach this is around the hood latch and reach your hand under the horns and pull the tape away:

Now lets grab the sending unit

and install it into the new found plug

Here is the stock location for the temp sending unit. The sending unit's white clip attaches it to the hood latch bracket

We're done here. Time to move inside. I have already done the mod to make the map lights come on with the dome light. I'll show you how to move that mod over to the new console too!

Start by unscrewing the only screw in this entire mod, located inside the cup holder:

Pull down on the front of the console. Its held on by these little snap connectors, so give it a good yank and it'll come loose

Slide it forward and unhook the back of the console from the headliner. It will be very obvious

You'll have the two plugs only if you have not done the dome light mod.. for me, that black wire is my dome light mod's wire.

Now lets walk our old console inside next to the new one. (Again, these are steps you can skip if you have not and will not do the dome light mod.) Notice where my diode is.. this was an awesome spot. I want to resolder it in the same place on the new console. I left it tooo exposed last time, so i'll clean that up a bit.

So lets unsolder that guy

New console:

Tada. now I'm just gonna clean up my own install a bit. You can also see how i'm expecting to connect the black wire still in my truck to this console with that clip at the end. I like this because it makes the console removable.

Now just reverse the process to get it back up there. I hooked up my black wire first, then hooked up the two plugs. Install the back of the console first with the hooks and then snap the snap connectors in. I'd have pictures of this, but it got dark. So here is proof that both the mod for the dome light AND my temperature / compass actually work.

Good times.

EDIT:

Now, if you just wanted to add JUST the temp unit directly to your unit in the space where the garage door opener is on your current unit, Car15 figured out how to do it. Below is a picture and description, found on page 3 of this thread:

He ended up using epoxy on the tabs, and screws/washers where the plastic rivets go.
You need to have the two parts (the temp screen/unit itself and the cover plate) Good
job bud
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

p.s.

People have had issues in the past with the console’s screen going out. I do recommend resoldering one of the parts within the console before installing. View SecretSquirrl’s link on how to do this here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/18497-overhead-console-fix.html

ALSO:

DO CHECK and see if you have the wires for the temp sending unit. Some of us, even SR5 people do NOT have the plug for the unit. If you do not, its not totally over - you can add it on.. just click here for the writeup on that:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...r-install.html
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Notty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud of

Army: 100% Disabled
Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up!!!

On a related note, are any of the wires in the harness going to the compass/temp gauge easy enough to tap into for hard wiring a radar detector? I have seen the DIY to run the wire down into the dash, but that seems like overkill if I can just have the detector up by the mirror and run the wire about 6 inches or so into the headliner and tap into that harness.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
dude you and your write ups.
least this one worked.
good job on the write up. real informative.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post
Nice write up!!!

On a related note, are any of the wires in the harness going to the compass/temp gauge easy enough to tap into for hard wiring a radar detector? I have seen the DIY to run the wire down into the dash, but that seems like overkill if I can just have the detector up by the mirror and run the wire about 6 inches or so into the headliner and tap into that harness.
YES very easy. That is exactly where i would tap in because they're only hot with the key ON. SO its a perfect area to tap into, and easy to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgrednek3006 View Post
dude you and your write ups.
least this one worked.
good job on the write up. real informative.
HAHA I KNOW HUH?? Hey - i'll write it up if it works (and even if it doesnt!) and haven't found a write up on it yet! I know plenty of people have done this, but it might help someone at some point to see that step by step.. Who knows, but thank you!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
I cut you a great price on the console and you call me a thief!
Thanks

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...p-compass.html
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up!!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post
Which wires do you tap to hardwire the radar detector if using the overhead console?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE:

Found a write up at Tundra Solutions. I tapped the light green wire for power & a black/white wire for ground. Super easy and took 20 minutes tops. Now I have my V1 hardwired
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Boomerdog is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired SEAL
Boomerdog's Tacoma Gallery
Ovehead temp and compass

I read your well written guidelines on putting in a tem p and compass. Although it is well written, I remain intimidated to do it myself. I live in Julian and come down to San Diego often. I have an 07 Access cab 4X4 with a manual 6 speed. I want the temp guage because of the freezing point in winters here in Julian. I would like to chat with you about the process of putting one in my truck. My phone number is 760 765 1160.
Carl
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerdog View Post
I read your well written guidelines on putting in a tem p and compass. Although it is well written, I remain intimidated to do it myself. I live in Julian and come down to San Diego often. I have an 07 Access cab 4X4 with a manual 6 speed. I want the temp guage because of the freezing point in winters here in Julian. I would like to chat with you about the process of putting one in my truck. My phone number is 760 765 1160.
Carl
Sounds great. Its super easy, and you could skip the light mod if you want.. i just threw that in there cause i was doing that at the same time. I'll shoot you a call after 5 tomorrow!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
is there any sites that sells this parts?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
kevinff is on a distinguished road
kevinff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
is there any sites that sells this parts?
Ditto. I haven't been able to find a part number either. I have a 2009 4x4 w/Access cab
Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinff View Post
Ditto. I haven't been able to find a part number either. I have a 2009 4x4 w/Access cab
DO remember that the 2009 gauge is different (not in style but in electronics) so a 05-08 console will not work in a 2009
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
kevinff is on a distinguished road
kevinff's Tacoma Gallery
Thx. Anyone have a 2009 compass/temp gauge for sale or an online sales source?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #19
nhtundra has a spectacular aura aboutnhtundra has a spectacular aura aboutnhtundra has a spectacular aura about
nhtundra's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried to retrofit a unit from another Toyota model? Like Sienna? Lots of them on ebay. I may give it a shot once I get my '09 (tommorow).
Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtundra View Post
Has anyone tried to retrofit a unit from another Toyota model? Like Sienna? Lots of them on ebay. I may give it a shot once I get my '09 (tommorow).
only an 09 console will work on an 09. they changed the way they work for 09, so anything from 05-08 works ONLY on 05-08 models. You try a 06 on an 09 tacoma, it will read "--". SO if you get one from a Sienna, make sure its an 09 to rule this out.