1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on bumpers!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by justinstoytac, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    No doubt ARB spends alot of money on research and make a fine product but in my non-engineered layman's way of thinking, I can't see how ARB can replicate a crush test of a cheap factory bumper when you replace a cheap OEM bumper with a ARB steel bumper? Doesn't the ARB bumper still mount to the frame like other plate bumpers? I don't see how the end result of damage are the same when you hit an object with an ARB(or any plate bumper) vs. OEM. Unless I'm wrong, the 2nd Gens airbag sensors on are on the frame rails, not bumper.

2. Apr 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    What ARB gets out of crash testing their bumpers is the ability to market their bumper as a true replacement option. Most plate bumpers don't get crashtested and as such need to state that they are "For off road use only." This protects the maker from liability when you T-bone a smart car and kill people.
    Both the ARB and any other plate bumper will transfer forces the same way. Airbags work off an accelerometer mounted between the radiator and the battery. And neither provide the crush protection like the stock bumper does. The stock bumper has a crumple zone that absorbs energy before it gets transferred to the frame. A heavy duty bumper will tranfer all this energy to your frame and can cause bent frames with a large enough impact. For some proof of this look at the "I hit a deer" threads.

3. Apr 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    SwampfoxSC

SwampfoxSC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    ARB bumpers will have a sticker on them stating they are compatible with airbags. Not dissing anybody else's bumpers. Just stating the fact that ARBs are the only ones tested. Which is why I chose them. There a lot of good bumpers to chose from.

4. Apr 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    Hooray stickers, saving lives since time immemorial.

5. Apr 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    GATORTACO92

GATORTACO92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hoover, Al
    Vehicle:
    2004 F-350 6.0 King Ranch
    2004 F-350...uh lots of motor work to go fast...er. Way to much to list. 2001: 3" leveling kit, ARB bumper, lightforce 240 blitz, 35" KM2s. SOLD 2008: OME 886s 90000 with dakars, LR UCAs, 5% tint, Satashi. SOLD 2015: Flooded and Gone
    I believe what others are trying to say is that arb has frame mounts that bolt to the frame, these mounts have a potato chip like construction in the middle of the mount on both sides. This is designed in similar concept as the oem crush cans. The arb mounts act like the oem, allowing the mounts to collapse on great impact. By doing this, it allows less damage to the frame and will cause less damage to your vehicle and the others but not by much. Once the frame mounts a bolted to the truck then the bumper gets mounted to the arb mounts. I like this because if I were to rear end someone or something and it only crushes the frame mounts, I can order new frame mounts and not an entire new bumper as well. I may be wrong but haven't seen another bumper built with separate mounting hardware from the bumper like arb. I run arb on both my Tacomas and wouldn't want any other bumper, my preference.

6. Apr 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    Finally some information that makes sense. It's not the sticker that helps out but the impact absorption system as ARB calls it. So the ARB does actually do something different than most other plate bumpers. It's amazing what happens when people provide useful information rather than marketing speak.

On a side note GATOR I'm in lovely Havelock getting some quality training from CNATT and I'm losing my mind with boredom. What does one do for entertainment here besides drink heavily? And I'm pretty sure the Yaris Budget gave me will make it most of the places my Taco will.

7. Apr 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    GATORTACO92

GATORTACO92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hoover, Al
    Vehicle:
    2004 F-350 6.0 King Ranch
    2004 F-350...uh lots of motor work to go fast...er. Way to much to list. 2001: 3" leveling kit, ARB bumper, lightforce 240 blitz, 35" KM2s. SOLD 2008: OME 886s 90000 with dakars, LR UCAs, 5% tint, Satashi. SOLD 2015: Flooded and Gone
    Ya after I looked for a bumper for 3 years and finally getting one I learned a lot with arb, haha. Well how much much longer are you there and do you have your Tacoma with you? I'm currently not in NC, but will be back on the 1st. My truck is actually parked on base next to 4200 building or next to the bowling alley believe. I ask if you have your truck because there isn't much to do unless you have it. Taxi cabs are expensive after a while. Pm me your number if you want and when I get back I will hit you up.

8. Apr 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    SwampfoxSC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Hoarder did you not read the link I provided? The entire statement is based off a customer asking about its "crush zone" mounting system. How you got that I was implying a sticker makes a difference is beyond me. I assume that shitty comment was in reference to my previous post. I provided all the info needed. Plus someone even posted a video showing the crush zone mounts earlier. You don't even have to watch the video. The crush zone is in the pic. The rest relies on your brain cells to make it useful. ;) Just trying to help a brother out. He requested some info and I provided. I don't sell bumpers for a living. So I don't give a shit what anybody buys. To each their own. But the reasons stated previous is why i use ARB upfront. I don't know if you are joking. Or if you really are a fucktard. It's hard to tell thru text. My apologies if you are kidding. And my apologies if you weren't ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  9. Apr 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    after watching that it all but reassures me that ARB will most likely be what goes on the front end of my truck.

10. Apr 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    I apologize if my sarcasm offended you, I was just trying to highlight the absurdity of your comment. I try to base my purchasing decisions not off of marketing gimmicks but fact and actual customer experience. That sticker is a gimmick and ARB would do well to better explain why they went through the trouble of getting their bumper tested somewhere other than a FAQ page. And it's nice of you to update your post to call me a fucktard.

And nope, didn't read link, huge wall of text discouraged me. Or watch a 10 minute video. But you could have summed it up here with a simple note saying that ARB has a crush system similar to that of the stock bumper. Saying a system is tested and has a sticker attached doesn't mean anything. Explain why they went through the trouble to do so.

And even still all that has nothing to do with how the airbag systems works. Airbags in the Tacoma deploy when they experience forces in excess of so many Gs (no idea the actual number) or the truck tilts beyond a certain degree. What the crush system does is create a sacrificial part between the hard steel of the bumper and the frame. This prevents a minor collision from causing massive damage.

11. Apr 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    And as for why I went with Elite. It's because it is light and isn't ugly. Plus it didn't hurt that it was hand built by Americans instead of Australian robots.

12. Apr 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Also one of my considerations when deciding go with pelfreybilt.

Also, I'd like to know if they test to Australian standards on Australian trucks or they do testing on American models as well.

13. Apr 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    SwampfoxSC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    The reason was in the link and the video. That you chose not to read or watch. But did chose to make a juvenile comment about. And to try and down play my information. The sticker is show that particular design is to be used with air bags. As in some are not. Again the info was provided. But your cells let you down. I can't help you with that. And now you are dissing everybody with a ARB. Nothing you have posted has been helpful or positive to the original PO question. If whoever built your bumper had any sense. It would be cut with a XY axis plasma cutter also. Or as you call it a robot. Unless you prefer a jigsaw and a torch.

14. Apr 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    And I'm out, not going to get in a slap fight over something stupid.

15. Apr 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Keep it on topic guys..

Products Discussed in

To Top