1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thank you Tom Wood!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by arcboy, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Apr 18, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    arcboy

arcboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just installed my one piece double cardan driveshaft and all those pesky issues are gone!!!!!

2. Apr 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    May I ask the cost of the drive shaft?

3. Apr 19, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    arcboy

Member:
    $479 shipped which includes everything just bolt it up. You could get a conventional for about $350. It took them a week to get it made and shipped.

4. Apr 19, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that information. This is the first I have heard about these so I have some questions. I see that they say to set these up properly the pinion has to be tilted. Did you tilt your pinion? Also I read someplace, not on these people's web site, that some are only tested to 2500 rpm and not recommended for everyday street use. Does this company guarantee the shafts for higher rpm and everyday use and what is their general warranty?
    And finally can you just send your old drive shafts and they do all the measuring and make the one piece that way?
    Thanks for any information.

5. Apr 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    2500 rpm? That's what I do on the highways

6. Apr 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Tom Woods knows his shat. He's been doing this a long time and is very respected in the 4WD world. I suspect he's at EJS this week and will be back in the shop Monday or Tuesday.

He often answers the phone himself as well.:thumbsup:

7. Apr 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    arcboy

Member:
    I'm glad to help since you will get a lot of conflicting information. I couldn't tell you about the 2500 rpm info, but I can tell you that I didn't do anything with the pinion as this is one reason I chose the more expensive double cardan as I will have flexibility with a future lift when I choose. Tom Woods will give you some of the info that he knows other Tacoma owners have since there are different opinions. I imagine that you could send your old driveshaft to them or any local shop but then you are out the time for your truck, and I'm sure it will cost you less but this way I get all new parts and have a spare driveshaft for absolutely no reason unless someone wants to buy it :D

To be clear this isn't a single piece as there has to be somewhere for the shaft to slip(slide in and out as the suspension moves, some have one that goes inside the transfer case or tranny)

You know you are getting a good part when the owner Tom Woods answers the phone and who knows his crap. He was very informative and told me that there are varying results with each Tacoma. Some come with 4 leafs and some come with 3, the ones with 3 are a little softer and tend to shudder off idle under torque, but can also do the same since the ones with 4 are slightly harder and don't budge enough and can cause shudder off idle.

Be careful by posting up questions on here because after searching for info and finding out that there are a large amount of opinions and you can't get some consistent information. Someone named "Braik" seemed to be very upset that they didn't think that I already searched for a information on a recent post and used some very inappropriate language to deliver their disgust for my topic.

8. Apr 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for taking time to respond. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top