1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

100,000 mile Dealer Write Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DeltaMechanic250, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Apr 19, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    DeltaMechanic250

DeltaMechanic250 [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Red
    Tint clean
    So I'm at the dealer for an oil change and the guy took a look under my hood and asked "when was the last time I had my power steering and brake fluid flushed out and replaced?"

Do you guys suggest that I get this done? Nothing's even wrong with my power steering nor braking...

I've been searching around the forum but can't seem to find some nice detail instructions on how to do each of these on my own they're charging me 200.00 Each!! Thanks everyone

2. Apr 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    alnewt1234

alnewt1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TForce
    I say don't do it until you research it more. I haven't ever done it but if you find out you can't/don't want to do it you can always bring it back

3. Apr 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    robbergeron23

robbergeron23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    holland, ma.
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD sport v6 4x4 access cab
    Brake fluid has to be bled out through the calipers and brake cylinders. At 150,000, my old Tundra had a irritating squeal upon initial acceleration. Turns out, the ATF fluid in the power steering reservoir was worn out. I used a turkey baster and sucked the bad fluid out, then replaced with new fluid. I repeated that a few times over a week or two until the fluid looked completely fresh. Dont start the truck before filling the reservoir. Hope this helps you. I would definitely change the fluids.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. Apr 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    beachingtaco

beachingtaco "We have assumed control"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Long Island, new york
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB trd sport
    westin nerf bars, ARE in-channel visors, Wet Okole's, mobtown tailgate skin, Tail Gate theft mod
    I have a friend who owns a truck dealership and has been a mechanic for the last 30 years. He always says to me if your going to keep your car for the long haul make sure you replace ALL fluids around 60k....All fluids break down over time and the systems don't work at 100%.....I only have 14k on my taco but will be doing a full fluid change in the future....

5. Apr 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    robbergeron23

robbergeron23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    holland, ma.
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD sport v6 4x4 access cab
    I completely agree, and concur!

6. Apr 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Agreed by 60k miles. 45k is even better. Brake fluid attracts water and can cause corrosion to brake components. Flushing all the fluids are a simple procedure with the help of a second person.

7. Apr 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Op I recomend doing it yourself save a lot of money

Just make sure do some research before and get everything you need ready

8. Apr 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
  9. Apr 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    If you do your power steering... Make sure its with ATF... NOT POWER STEERING... So silly of toyota to write in small words to confuse us.

10. Apr 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    DeltaMechanic250

DeltaMechanic250 [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Red
    Tint clean
    Thank you all so much for the help I'll definitely do my homework and do it myself can't be too hard thank you again Happy Easter!!

11. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

It looks like you're an A&P, you'll have no problems changing your fluid. ;)

12. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    This! The single best way to prevent future problems is to replace your fluids regularly...

13. Apr 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    I watched that video on brake fluid flushing and I don't agree with everything he said. First if brake fluid goes bad in 2 years why don't brake fluid containers have a use by date just like milk. If it goes bad in your brake system it will also go bad in a bottle on a shelf. I know that brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air but if the fluid in your brake system is in contact with open air you have a big problem. Your brake system is sealed and only open when you take the lid off of the master cylinder. He said to flush the system until you see fresh fluid coming out of the bleeder, but the fluid in my master cylinder on my 2 year old truck looks like new fluid. How do you tell the difference?

I do believe in regular fluid changes but 2 years seems extremely early for brake fluid. Seals in wheel cylinders, calipers, and master cylinders go bad even if you change your brake fluid.

This is just my opinion and do not let it stop anyone from performing any maintenence. Happy motoring.

14. Apr 23, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Driven cars for years w/o worrying about brake fluid flushing. The only time I did it on my Sienna, the rear cylinders failed 20k miles later. So I ended up flushing it twice.
    Power steering: I know it says ATF but my dealer says NO, USE Power steering fluid. Toyota Mechanic showed me the bottle they use - generic PS FLuid. Besides ATF has additives depending upon the tranny so it's hard to get JUST ATF. I use Pennzoil PS fluid and use the turkey baster method described above. If the fluid is basically clear, though, leave it alone. The PS pump/reservoir are located in the front and fluid is usually kept cool on trucks, unlike fwd only vehicles where the pump is in the rear.
    Tranny: definitely by 60k miles. Probably flush is in order and plan on $250.00

15. Apr 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    I'll be flushing my PS soon here only because it will be easier to remove the rack entirely to replace the bushings. otherwise my fluid looks like "slightly" used oil, can still see through the fluid if held up.

I've also never flushed brake fluid but may this summer as I want to prep/paint my drums/calipers and install SSB lines

You know, 10 yr presents for my girl :D

16. Apr 23, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521

That's kind of the idea, to change the brake fluid before it starts to look bad.

17. Apr 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    one thing though. brake fluid in containers are sealed from elements and air. just like food it preserves the state of the fluid for longer periods of time. while "I" don't agree with the 2 years thing it's a cheap flush if you can do it yourself or know someone that can. otherwise you're spending the labor costs that eat up other expenditures.

also brake fluid is not circulatory (to my knowledge) which means the fluid stays where it's at and even if the fluid in the reservoir is clean does not mean it is clean down the lines where it's exposed to heat and use.

Products Discussed in

To Top