Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Windshield Wiper Motor Noise

Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield Wiper Motor Noise

I have an 08 Sport DC 4x4, and since buying it back in April of 08, I've noticed that the windshield wipe motor is just plain loud. I can hear the motor running when the wipers are on. No grinding or thumping, just the sound of the motor doin what it's supposed to do. I can hear it with the radio at a normal volume level too. I've never owned any vehicle that I could hear the motor run.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My warranty runs out in 9,000 miles, so if it's an issue I need to get it taken care of asap.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
pepple4 is on a distinguished road
pepple4's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, same thing with my 09. It's loud but not worried about it though.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are kind of loud too. I really don't notice it anymore, I've gotten used to it, but it bothered me at first. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has had them looked at under warranty.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 is LOUD and pisses me off....dont know that I can do anything about it really
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Mine were loud but seem to quiet up when I put new blades on, I can't hear them over the radio cause my radio is blarring most of the time
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle where I couldn't hear the wiper motor.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
Mine used to be quiet. 20,ooo km later it's LOUD starting up, then a few wipes later it goes quiet again. Quiet being a relative term. I can hear it if the radio's off, but don't hear it normally, when driving - radio on. However the noise it makes on startup is loud enough to be heard over the radio.
Hope it's not headed to always loud.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Putting on new blades help to quiet things down a bit.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
DaveInVT is on a distinguished road
DaveInVT's Tacoma Gallery
I was at the dealer for another reason and had one of the service guys listen to mine. He told me I should make an appointment to have it fixed. I haven't done it yet but will before winter sets in. -DaveinVT
Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread same issue.... Glad to see I am not the only one. I don;t worry about the noise as much as an early failure after warranty. I may have to buy one of those Cheap EWs Troy is selling if I see motor issues. My Window motor is load as well...Oh well its a Toyota truck....not a Lexus
Old 03-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is loud as hell.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are the blades not the motor, as someone else said after a few wipes later its gone, its mostly due to the crap that sticks in the blades and in the windshield, clean both and if possible claybar the windshield, that has worked for me.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
I can hear the motor in my '09 also
Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
skaterportland will become famous soon enough
skaterportland's Tacoma Gallery
I had the motor replaced under warranty and it is so much more quiet. It drove me crazy before...
Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Once I replace the OEM wiper blades with some quality aftermarket ones, there wasn't as much noise from the motor. Guess the OEM blades had more friction and made the motor work harder than the aftermarket ones.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #18
Frogdaddy is on a distinguished road

Frogdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Those that got motors replaced can you offer more insight on the symptoms/sound? Mine has just gone out of warranty. It's a 2010 with 36700+ miles and as the wipers are going I get an intermittent "grind" from motor area. Sounds worse from inside vehicle than out. I pulled up plastic window grill trim a tad and it sounds like it's coming from the motor itself. Perhaps a bearing going bad. Ideas on how to replace or narrow down cause? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
fatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
fatsac's Tacoma Gallery
Same here. Drove me nuts but covered under warranty. Much better now!