1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 PreRunner: pulley squeak with clutch involved?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mizhop, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Apr 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    mizhop

mizhop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    central IL
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner, 2WD 6spd(mine) & '95 DLX 2WD (his)
    Hi all! I've got an '05 PreRunner SR5, 4.0L V6, with about6 62K miles. Over the fall and winter, and usually only noticeable on moister days, the engine would squeak, and so I figured the belt just needed changing. So, my ol man and I did that a couple of weeks ago, a day or two passed and it began to squeak again, and knew it had to be a pulley in there. (Gods, there's SO MANY damn pulleys!) And in a strange bit of chance, I noticed that it STOPPED squeaking if I pressed in the clutch pedal oh so gently, not enough to engage, but just as you start to feel the hard pressure before clutch release.

After a search on the forums I found a couple of useful threads:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...serpentine-belt-pulley-what-do-you-think.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/274510-4cyl-idler-pulley-part-numbers.html

...but couldn't find any threads relating to the stopping of squeaks if the clutch was involved.

I figure it's one of those idler pulleys as mentioned in the above threads, though I was confused by one of the graphics in the first thread (below), where it mentions that one person suspected it was in one of the idler pulleys on the left side, and then noticed that there were two "idler No.2"...??
    2010-01-16_171416_ten_ad756e83e1223ee2a1623d639570c07f67222739.gif

How on earth am I going to figure out where the squeak is coming from? What is the most likely culprit? Does clutch pedal depression help pinpoint the problem, or is it just an anomaly? There was also mention of replacing the tensioner assembly. Do I just keep replacing pulleys until it stops squeaking? Is the squeaking a sign of impending failure, or do I have some time to figure it out before whatever it is falls off?? :annoyed:

Thanks for your patience guys, and I hope someone can give me some direction here.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Coles notes = common problem, its the release bearing / alum guide on the transmission / out of warranty use the URD sleeve kit / with warranty there are updated parts that cost a lot more to do the same.

4. Apr 21, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    mizhop

mizhop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    central IL
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner, 2WD 6spd(mine) & '95 DLX 2WD (his)
    My God, that might be it. It is indeed more of a chirp than a squeak, and I'm very relieved that it's not just me that has has this problem. In post #10 by SnoBoarder he describes how to diagnose that is the TO bearing after removing the bell housing. I'll hopefully be giving that a shot this coming weekend. Thanks so much, both of you, for your responses.

Products Discussed in

To Top