Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My Build (formerly 2006 to 2013 Front End Conv.)

Old 04-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Tacoma Addict
stevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
stevespens's Tacoma Gallery
My Build (formerly 2006 to 2013 Front End Conv.)

OK folks, here we go. I'm going to do a conversion on my Taco. I know this has been done many times and there are multiple threads on the subject. I have been working with Rad and RG11 to kick start my project. They have been a great help. I have been posting on RG11's post and asked folks if they would like to see me document my build. RG11 suggested I do a post with lots of pictures. So I started this thread to share my journey.

I'm going to use something for my image storage. That just happens to be my source of backup. I hope it works for all who are interested. My first posts will be of my Taco as it is now and what I hope to create.

I have a 2006, Radiant Red, 4.0L, PreRunner model. I've owned it sense 2009. I bought it in Lake Havasu City Arizona. It had 43,000 miles on it and I paid $19,999 for it. It was a certified pre owned model, so I put the 100,000 mile 10 year bumper to bumper warranty on it.I'm about 5,000 miles away from the end of the warranty.

So, here are some picks,,,,,,,,OK, so I'm still working on the uploading. I'll check out the tutorial in the help section. More soon. Here's a teaser in a thumbnail.

Attached Thumbnails
My Build (formerly 2006 to 2013 Front End Conv.)-compare-jpeg.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Tacoma Addict
stevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevespens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK, I remembered how to post from DropBox, so here are a few to start.

This first one is what helped to inspire me to take on this project. I just love the look of the 12, 13, 14 style. I love the lower grill and the lines and angles of the bumper. I also love the shape of the new grill.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tacoma. She has been a fantastic truck. But doesn't every lady want a little face lift over time.

So off we go to begin the adventure. I'm waiting on a few last parts. The grill is on it's way, some clips and fasteners and the hood scoop parts.

Thanks for looking, more soon.
Steve
Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Tacoma Addict

As for a parts list, there are several posts out here with complete lists. One of them is from RG11. It's a good comprehensive list.
There's another good list here on page 3 of the same post. Thanks to disco2k for that.

I'm not going to copy and paste those lists, I'm not the author and I'll let them stand for themselves.

If I do find anything additional I end up using, I'll list it here.

As of today, I'm $1,691.85 into this project. That will go up when the paint goes on. I expect to end up at around $2,200. And I'm not concerned about resale value or the fact that it may be hard to sell. I own the truck outright and have no plans to sell it. If I did buy another truck, I'll very much most likely keep this one. Why would I sell something that's paid for? I'll let my wife carry the car payment.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
I would say don't do it. There are way better ways to spruce up your truck. Personally don't like the new front ends.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowell View Post
I would say don't do it. There are way better ways to spruce up your truck. Personally don't like the new front ends.
I think it's a little late to say don't do it if he's already $1600+ into the project.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. Keep it till the wheels fall off. Brush the haters off
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Tacoma Addict

There's no stopping now. And everyone is welcome to share their opinions. You know what they say, to each his own. I appreciate the input.

At one time I looked into a supercharger. But that's well over six grand. And it would just get me in trouble. I have my step bars. I recently installed a slick touch screen media center. Now I'm Bluetooth capable and can play DVD's. I can link all of my media devices, I-Pod, cell phone and all. Pretty cool.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Tacoma Addict

OK folks, here are some shots of the parts I've received so far.

Here's the bumper cover, front view and shots from the back,

the opening for the fog light,

how the bumper end fasteners pass through to be clipped,

the headlights,

from the back,

here is that oh so important bumper reinforcement bar. I found it on E-Bay for $67.00 and free shipping.

the hood latch assembly,

I'll put some more in the next post,,,,,,,,
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
Tacoma Addict

Here I'll post some shots of the misc brackets and braces. If anyone want's a part number, give me a shout. I'll number the shots in case.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) a bag of parts. Clips and small plastic brackets, etc

The hood is still in the box. When I take it out, I'll post some shots. I also have the new fog lights, but I haven't taken any pictures of them yet.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
Cool project, not worth spending that much money to me but whatever floats your boat.

I like my '11 with the honey comb grill over the 05-10s slotted one.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespens View Post
Here I'll post some shots of the misc brackets and braces. If anyone want's a part number, give me a shout. I'll number the shots in case.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) a bag of parts. Clips and small plastic brackets, etc

The hood is still in the box. When I take it out, I'll post some shots. I also have the new fog lights, but I haven't taken any pictures of them yet.
This should be interesting to see the final project!! Excited!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
nextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to all

nextfriday's Tacoma Gallery
There is a tremendous styling difference between the new and old front ends. Happy conversion.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Tacoma Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextfriday View Post
There is a tremendous styling difference between the new and old front ends. Happy conversion.
I agree. I showed the pictures to my wife and she says "they look the same to me". She doesn't get it. Thanks. Can't wait to start.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #15
Tacoma Addict

Hi Folks,
So I jumped in head first and started the build this evening. It's about 85% finished. I still need the scoop parts. And I shorted myself a bracket, but it's together.

Here's some shots of the build. I'll try to describe them as I go.

This is with the bumper support brackets in place,

Another angle and showing how they connect,

This is where the support arm attaches to the fender and you can see one of the bumper supports,

A few shots of the bumper reinforcement bar.

How it bolts on,

The new hood latch assembly and support bracket,

I'll start another post with the rest,,,,,
Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #16
Tacoma Addict

Here's the rest for today,

The headlights. They went in pretty well. No surprises,

The headlight bracket that is on the 2013 but not the 2006,

And here is where I'm at right now. The first three have the 2006 hood. By the time I got the 2013 hood on, It was to dark and the shot is hard to see,

Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Tacoma Addict

So, here's some daylight shots. You can see the hood and the fog lights in these.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be curious to know what that conversion costs, just in parts and paint. Looks good so far
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowell View Post
The op personally likes the front end

and it turned great
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Is it just me, or does that look kind of sick the way it is? Probably just me. Good work either way.