Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil change on 2013 Taco V6

Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Twindad222 is on a distinguished road
Twindad222's Tacoma Gallery
Oil change on 2013 Taco V6

Ok, so I had been reading about synthetic oils, etc. in preparation for changing my own oil after my 25k mile free dealer service ran out, today. So I asked the guy to confirm that what oil they had been using in my truck the past year and he checked only to tell me they were using conventional oil. (He said the Tacoma has two different oil options) Well I guess that is fine but, I wanted to ask about making the conversion or is it worth the extra money? I plan on keeping this truck past 100k miles. Also he mentioned a costly visit that "shocks" people for their 30k mile filter service. Can anyone shed light on this and is it needed? Thanks so much
Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
billinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billinwoodland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad222 View Post
Ok, so I had been reading about synthetic oils, etc. in preparation for changing my own oil after my 25k mile free dealer service ran out, today. So I asked the guy to confirm that what oil they had been using in my truck the past year and he checked only to tell me they were using conventional oil. (He said the Tacoma has two different oil options) Well I guess that is fine but, I wanted to ask about making the conversion or is it worth the extra money? I plan on keeping this truck past 100k miles. Also he mentioned a costly visit that "shocks" people for their 30k mile filter service. Can anyone shed light on this and is it needed? Thanks so much
Tons of threads on this. If you do a search on oil change or synthetic oil you will find enough reading material to keep you on the john for a few days!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Ok thanks. And the 30k service?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok thanks. And the 30k service?
probably a bunch of BS inspections and what not. Ask the dealer for a list of what they do. Maybe they charge like $300 for spark plugs. Some people these days do not think plugs at 30k. I know I did not
Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Great, thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
The maintenance manual that comes with the truck has all the services needed and it's listed by mileage. It's quite detailed. I check it every now and again to see what I'll need.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
I really would not have thought of that. Most cars I have had did not give any info and when they did it was very vague. LOL Thanks. The thing I am worried about is that I have been running 5k miles between changes and I have always done 3k mile changes on conventional cars I have had in the past. I hope that I have not done any damage with extended time frames. Thanks for all the help
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I run mobil 1 in my 13. good stuff.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
judgeman6970 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
judgeman6970's Tacoma Gallery
Doubt u did any damage, u should be fine. Imo, its worth the money to switch over to synthetic if u plan on keeping her....I switched mine over at 500 miles
Attached Thumbnails
Oil change on 2013 Taco V6-100_0584.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really would not have thought of that. Most cars I have had did not give any info and when they did it was very vague. LOL Thanks. The thing I am worried about is that I have been running 5k miles between changes and I have always done 3k mile changes on conventional cars I have had in the past. I hope that I have not done any damage with extended time frames. Thanks for all the help
Here is a great oil resource http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

and if your real worried send these guys samples of your next few changes http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The V6 calls for conventional oil. In my book synthetic is a waste of money unless the manufacturer requires it or your vehicle is strictly a racing vehicle or under extreme conditions such as hot or cold, but even then the manufacturer does not say to put synthetic in the Tacoma V6.

While some claim that synthetic makes the engine last longer there is not a single scientific study to prove such. Here is an article about using synthetic in a Toyota where it is not called for. In the end it is your money and your choice.
http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/45...ic-oil-toyota/
Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedone View Post
Here is an article about using synthetic in a Toyota where it is not called for. In the end it is your money and your choice.
http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/45...ic-oil-toyota/
Thanks for posting that article!

As someone who only has 7500 miles on a 2013 V6 that occasionally tows, I may switch over to synthetic after the last free oil change.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 30k service is the spark plugs... that's the interval for the V6 last time I heard. "Shocking" LOL
You'll have no damage using conventional, otherwise the dealership would be on the hook for a new engine. Feel free to change to synthetic. It's not that much more expensive than conventional, if you are doing your own changes.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
sgtnewundies is on a distinguished road
sgtnewundies's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know why there are so many myths out there regarding oils. If you are going to change oil at 5000 miles use conventional. I for one change my oil at 10000 miles and use synthetics.

I spent a great deal of time researching oils. You are welcome to do your own research as a link has been provided for Bob, the oil forum. Nevertheless, you are wasting time and money changing oil at less than 5000 miles, unless you are off roading frequently. Its your ride your choice you have to decide what works for you.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
5k miles between changes is what Toyota calls for with the conventional oil, so you have nothing to worry about. Some vehicles are even higher. My wife's acura calls for 10k miles between changes on conventional oil.

I run mobil 1 synthetic with the extended life filter in both our vehicles.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
If you are still under warranty, stick with 5k changes, at least until you warranty is up. It's your choice if you use conventional or synth with a 5k OCI. A good conventional will go 5k just fine, but check out the cost difference of the oils if you are doing your own, it's not as much as the dealer and oil change places like to "sell".

Once out of warranty you can extend the OCIs using a good synth to at least 7.5-10k. Any longer then that and I'd recommend an oil analysis to support the OCI.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
Thanks so much guys for all the input great advice out there. Really appreciate it all. One more question: Does anyone know what is included in the 30k service? Or is there a place I can go to find it? Thanks again
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #20
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks so much guys for all the input great advice out there. Really appreciate it all. One more question: Does anyone know what is included in the 30k service? Or is there a place I can go to find it? Thanks again
Best bet is to call your dealer and ask for what's included. Make sure you state that you want to see what the required bits are, not whatever "sales enhancers" that they add. If you can't get the required list, take their list and go through your manuals and pull out the required bits yourself. Keep in mind, some dealers won't seperate the services without significant noise from you.

Isn't there an on-line service manual somewhere to, that shows the required services?