1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whining sound coming from engine

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JJ48Nascar, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Apr 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    JJ48Nascar

JJ48Nascar [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Prerunner V6 4.0L
    17 inch rims with Nitto Grappler tires. No lift kit
    I am new to this forum, and hope to find answers and learn more about the Tacoma. I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I decided to take it mudding two days ago. Didn't get a chance to clean car or engine off until today. Noticed this morning on my way to work before it was cleaned that it was idling kind of higher than normal. After I got home before I took it to get cleaned, I noticed a wind up whirling sound when I give it gas both in park and in drive. Not sure where it is coming from or what is causing it. I am also now hearing what sounds like a rattling or clicking sound as well. I hope this makes sense and that somebody might have an answer before I have to take it into a mechanic. Thanks

2. Apr 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Serpentine belt pulley bearings maybe.

3. Apr 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    CaliBluTaco

CaliBluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathanael
    Ohio USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper, Brute Force Fab HC Rear Bumper, All Pro Kickout Sliders, Pelfreybilt IFS Skid and Mid Skid, Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement, ICON Ext.Travel Coilovers w/ 14"x 650# Eibach coils and custom valving, LR UCA's, OME Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Pack w/ All Pro U-Bolt Flip, Icon 2.0 Aluminum Series Extended Travel rear shocks & Wheelers Super Bumpstops. 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Tires on 17x8 Pro Comp 7089's, ENGO E12000s Winch w/ Synthetic Rope, Locker Anytime Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod, and more...
    X2 on the pulley's. You can get a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. I had a similar problem and it ended up being my alternator bearings were shot. Had a shop rebuild it and noise was gone. But i did use a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top