LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To: Mud Flap Fix

Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
How To: Mud Flap Fix

About a month ago while backing up in the snow I cracked one of my mudflaps. I got a price from the dealership of $89.00. No way am I paying that much for a mudflap. Because the mudflap was hitting my exhaust and melting I had to do something. So to hold me over until I can find a cheaper one I did some simple rigging... after was all said and done the flap works great, and did not have any play.
1. First remove the mud flap.
2. Get 3/32nd's drill bit, a drill, some safety wire (I think I used 20 gauge) and a pair of needle nose pliars.
3. You will make a series of three holes on the mudflap from where the crack begins and ends. But before that drill a hole where the crack ends to prevent from further cracking.
4. Drill all the holes necessary.
5. Loop the safety wire through the three holes, start where the crack began and go to where it ends.
6. Once you have all the wires through all the holes, twist the safety wire with your fingers. Then tighten the wire with the needle nose pliars. You don't have to twist too tight or the wire will break.
7. Cut the excess wire and bend in the remaining wire to make less noticable.
8. Install the mudflap and you are good to go.

I realize this isn't the most detailed thread, but it is really easy. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-1.jpg   How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-2.jpg   How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-3.jpg   How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-4.jpg   How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-5.jpg  

Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

more pics..
Attached Thumbnails
How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-6.jpg   How To: Mud Flap Fix-mudflap-7.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Adrenaline Addict

bump
Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Writeup. I definitely will help people out, If their in your situation
Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
ah awesome. You stitched it back together! I'm all for fixing whats busted instead of paying an arm and a leg for new parts. Wanna make a How To in order to fix the hole in my all weather mat?? (It can resist All Weather, but not my foot!)
Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Adrenaline Addict

haha
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up and effort. I bet epoxy would work just as good too.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Adrenaline Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Nice write up and effort. I bet epoxy would work just as good too.

definitely on the smaller cracks..

i had tried epoxy, but it didn't hold, i think my crack was too big (can i say that?)
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx SuperFly 25 View Post
i think my crack was too big
thats what she said!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
I'm crackin eggs of wisdom
Shiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Curt (krt)
Shiftin2Sixth's Tacoma Gallery
I used ShoeGoo on mine holding up great. 2 years now
Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
Dave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Retired LE
Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx SuperFly 25 View Post
definitely on the smaller cracks..

i had tried epoxy, but it didn't hold, i think my crack was too big (can i say that?)
My flap was competely broken in 3 pieces. I used a plastic epoxy and so far it's held up for over a month.

Had to do it when they want almost $95 for ONE FREAKING FLAP !!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
I have 4 good mud flaps. They are a little dirty but other than that they are in great shape. I dont have all of the plastic clips because I broke a few taking them out. If your want one or all make me a reasonable offer. Oh yeah they are not the 4X4 flaps.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Adrenaline Addict

drifter 379, i'm good.. but thanks, i'm sure someone else will be interested!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
IMO just leave them off. Those wires aren't going to hold them together forever.

EDIT: Sorry, but I just remembered some states require the flaps so I guess you did find a cheap and quick fix.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
also if your flap is just starting to crack if you drill a hole or melt a hole with a soldering iron at the crack's current starting point then the crack won't be able to grow any further. that will work on ANY plastic. we used to do that on our RC car bodies, it works! i've also done the stitches before with zip-ties when doing quad and motorcycle plastics, but the wire would be stronger.

i actually have 2 irons in my toolbox, one for melting/welding plastic and one for solder- the melted plastic will kill the tip and no longer melt solder
Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be trimming my tomorrow. I was hunting all day yesterday and these things hit on ever little bump. Won't last too much longer like that
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
Adrenaline Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightShirts View Post
also if your flap is just starting to crack if you drill a hole or melt a hole with a soldering iron at the crack's current starting point then the crack won't be able to grow any further. that will work on ANY plastic. we used to do that on our RC car bodies, it works! i've also done the stitches before with zip-ties when doing quad and motorcycle plastics, but the wire would be stronger.

i actually have 2 irons in my toolbox, one for melting/welding plastic and one for solder- the melted plastic will kill the tip and no longer melt solder
X2!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
skyward22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
skyward22's Tacoma Gallery
rubber flaps?

Has anyone found good aftermarket rubber mud flaps for their Tacoma? Before I got my Tacoma, I had an older Ford Ranger with rubber flap. The advantage was, that when you went off-road they would flex--because they're rubber, not plastic. I have knocked off one of the plastic ones on the Tacoma simply by backing up into a curb.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^ THIS!!!!