1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust spot in left wheel well

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SlipperyTaco, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Apr 24, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    SlipperyTaco

SlipperyTaco [OP] Slippery when Wet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 & 2014 4Runner Trail Premium
    FOX 2.5 C/O, CAMBURG UCA, FOX 2.0 REAR, SMP CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, BAMF LCA SKIDS, SCS RAY 10 MATTE GREY WHEELS, 305/70/16 BFG KO2, ALL PRO STANDARD LEAF PACK, ALL PRO SLIDERS, U-BOLT FLIP KIT, MARLIN CRAWLER REAR BUMPER, TIMBREN REAR BUMPSTOPS, WHEELERS SS BRAKE LINE F/R, D-BADGED, GIBSON CAT BACK, K&N CAI, LINE-X , GREY WIRE MOD, APOLLO 3.0 SHROUDS, D2S XB 5500K HID BULBS, LED HALOS, LED DEMON EYES, TRS LED BULBS, BHLM, IGGY PODS, CALI RAISED PODS, 30" CALI RAISED 4D LIGHT BAR, BESTOP SUPERTOP, TRASHAROO , WET OKOLE SEAT COVERS. 4 RUNNER- 2014 TRAIL PREMIUM W/KDSS KINGS FRONT AND REAR DIRT KING BALL JOINT UCA METAL TECH LONG TRAVEL SPRINGS METAL TECH UPPER/LOWER LINKS SONORAN STEEL KDSS TRACK BAR URD EXHAUST URD Y PIPE URD MAF CALIBRATOR PEDAL COMMANDER PRINSU ROOF RACK RIGID ADAPT LIGHT BAR SCS SR8 17" GUNMETAL 285/70/17 FALKEN WILDPEAKS TRS FOG LIGHTS TRS HID KIT SS OFFROAD SLIMLINE WITH SIDE PROTECTION COASTAL REAR SWINGOUT HEFTY FAB SKIDS
    Hi does anyone know the best solution to get rid of this nasty rust spot it is under my battery in my wheel well.. i was told it was from a bad battery terminal which was leaking .. i got that fixed already just want this dirty spot off lol thanks guys..

photo 1.jpg

2. May 4, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    SlipperyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    FOX 2.5 C/O, CAMBURG UCA, FOX 2.0 REAR, SMP CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, BAMF LCA SKIDS, SCS RAY 10 MATTE GREY WHEELS, 305/70/16 BFG KO2, ALL PRO STANDARD LEAF PACK, ALL PRO SLIDERS, U-BOLT FLIP KIT, MARLIN CRAWLER REAR BUMPER, TIMBREN REAR BUMPSTOPS, WHEELERS SS BRAKE LINE F/R, D-BADGED, GIBSON CAT BACK, K&N CAI, LINE-X , GREY WIRE MOD, APOLLO 3.0 SHROUDS, D2S XB 5500K HID BULBS, LED HALOS, LED DEMON EYES, TRS LED BULBS, BHLM, IGGY PODS, CALI RAISED PODS, 30" CALI RAISED 4D LIGHT BAR, BESTOP SUPERTOP, TRASHAROO , WET OKOLE SEAT COVERS. 4 RUNNER- 2014 TRAIL PREMIUM W/KDSS KINGS FRONT AND REAR DIRT KING BALL JOINT UCA METAL TECH LONG TRAVEL SPRINGS METAL TECH UPPER/LOWER LINKS SONORAN STEEL KDSS TRACK BAR URD EXHAUST URD Y PIPE URD MAF CALIBRATOR PEDAL COMMANDER PRINSU ROOF RACK RIGID ADAPT LIGHT BAR SCS SR8 17" GUNMETAL 285/70/17 FALKEN WILDPEAKS TRS FOG LIGHTS TRS HID KIT SS OFFROAD SLIMLINE WITH SIDE PROTECTION COASTAL REAR SWINGOUT HEFTY FAB SKIDS
    Thanks Beavis this is pretty much what i did .. brushed it all down and i hit it with a zinc primer that's made for aircrafts then hit it with some high heat black.. looks nice now

photo.jpg

3. May 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Looks great.

4. May 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Well now that you've already done all that I thin you're fine.

But here is what I would have done:
    I would have used a pre-paint rust remover. That is a chemical that chemically converts rust into a blackish primer. You'd start with a wire brush but is alright to leave a little of the rust. Clean area throughly and apply remover to clean dry surface. Next day paint with good automotive color-matched paint. You'll never know it was there.

I get rust on my exterior body of the truck, where I have rock chips. Each year I go around and do the above (minus the wire brushing) to each chip area. Washing the truck, allowing it to dry, then applying the rust remover with a Q-tip cotton swap. Next day I apply tough-up paint. Good for another year.

I find the touch-up paint only holds up about a year. So I have come to do this as an annual ritual. Each year a few new chip areas are added from new rocks colliding with the truck that winter. They use lava-rocks on our roadways in the snow-ice instead of salt. This is the price we pay for that - better I think then the cancerous rust rock-salt can cause.

5. May 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    If it was from a battery terminal you probably should of neutralized the acid with some baking soda and water then wire brushed and then painted just my 2 cents

6. May 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    X2. Good point.

7. May 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    If he wire brushed it down to bare metal, then the acid was likely removed in the process. I'd bet my lunch money it will be fine.

8. May 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    Every nook and cranny idk it's always just easier to put baking soda on it better safe than sorry

9. May 5, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    SlipperyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input guys... when i replaced the positive battery terminal i did put some baking soda and water on it and cleaned it all up..
    thanks all.

Products Discussed in

To Top