LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Did I break my clockspring?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Rooster Feather is on a distinguished road
Rooster Feather's Tacoma Gallery
Did I break my clockspring?

Last night I replaced my rack and pinion. I used the seatbelt method to keep the steering wheel from turning. Today driving to get an alignment while going straight down the road my steering wheel is in the "10 o'clock" position.

Had to drive about 30 minutes to the alignment shop and then they couldn't get me in after all! I drove home but then later in the day the ABS light and airbag light came on, however the cruise control still works (and it only worked about half the time anyway before).

If I misaligned my steering shaft to the rack and pinion shaft it would have only been by one or two splines at the very most.

So did I break my clockspring?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
you need to center the splines properly, your steering wheel location should not have changed much at all with the steering box change, you have to do this first before alignment so the turning radius is the same for left and right, trust me on this one, you gots to do it no matter how much work it is...
Old 04-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Unlikely. 5.5 turns each way for the CS. Check to make sure you didn't compromise the sensor on the driver side front frame. disconjnect the battery and reconnect, see if light stays off.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Rooster Feather is on a distinguished road
Rooster Feather's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
you need to center the splines properly, your steering wheel location should not have changed much at all with the steering box change, you have to do this first before alignment so the turning radius is the same for left and right, trust me on this one, you gots to do it no matter how much work it is...
When I put the new rack and pinion on, I centered it by measuring the distance to the frame from each tie rod end. With the steering wheel centered, I put it on the shaft. Like a said I could be one or two splines off at the most. How do I know if I am? and being that close would it of broke the spring?