1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rubber break line

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CorpsmanUp, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Apr 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    CorpsmanUp

CorpsmanUp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibby
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco DCLWB 6in lift 35s 4.56s, air lockers AP F&R bmpers warn 10k winch Rigid fogs & floods custom pro top shell
    6in procomp stage 2 lift with PC Coilovers, 35x12.50 Nitto MTs, Moto metal 18x10 with -44 offset HID and LED's everywhere, ladder bars, rear disk brake conversion, hood struts, K&N cold air intake, Flowmaster 40 series, pro comp skid plates, train horn, pa system, all silver trim inside painted black all pro apex front bumper with full hoops warn 10k winch, all pro high clearance rear bumper with custom door hinge tag holder, pro top custom windowless camper shell. ARB onboard air compressor, rear ARB air locker, 4.56 gears front and rear, waterport pressurized water system, pop and lock tailgate.
    Probably already posted somewhere else but I've been looking for an hour. Anybody know where I can buy just a single or have an extra rubber break line for the driver side rear on a 13 taco? I've got a cut in mine right before the metal fitting that connects to my caliber(drum to disk conversion) and i'm leaking fluid and I've got a long drive from cali to Kansas in two weeks.

20140425_170935.jpg
    20140425_170943.jpg

2. Apr 26, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    That is not an over the counter item you are going to find at Pep Boys but it is a simple fix / swap. Call Crown Performance in Vista on Monday and ask for John in the shop. He can make you custom upgraded stainless lines while you wait and the prices are great.

3. Apr 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^This. Surprised CorpsmanUp is still running a rubber line after a disc brake conversion (which is usually intended to be a performance upgrade).

For a drop-in replacement, call the mfr of the disc conversion kit.

4. Apr 26, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Dude, it looks the the break in the your brake line was caused by rubbing on the shock boot. Gotta fix that or it will just happen again. And like the others surprised you're not already running a braided stainless line.

5. Apr 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    CorpsmanUp

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibby
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco DCLWB 6in lift 35s 4.56s, air lockers AP F&R bmpers warn 10k winch Rigid fogs & floods custom pro top shell
    6in procomp stage 2 lift with PC Coilovers, 35x12.50 Nitto MTs, Moto metal 18x10 with -44 offset HID and LED's everywhere, ladder bars, rear disk brake conversion, hood struts, K&N cold air intake, Flowmaster 40 series, pro comp skid plates, train horn, pa system, all silver trim inside painted black all pro apex front bumper with full hoops warn 10k winch, all pro high clearance rear bumper with custom door hinge tag holder, pro top custom windowless camper shell. ARB onboard air compressor, rear ARB air locker, 4.56 gears front and rear, waterport pressurized water system, pop and lock tailgate.
    Thanks i'll give them a call Monday.

@KenLyns, I didn't do the break conversion just the lift the guy I bought the truck from a few months ago had already did the conversion and had used just the stock lines from what I can tell otherwise I definitely would've gone w/ the braided lines for sure!

@ JSI I don't believe rubbing against the shock boot would've caused it it's not a break down tight of break in the line it's more from the angle of the what I believe is a stock line on the caliber it's needs like a 90 degree connector on the fitting cause I believe the factory is 45degrees on the drivers side rear but I maybe wrong.

6. Apr 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    BTW - I would suggest removing those shock boots, I had the same lift, same shocks and same boots and the boots actually trap water and dirt and cause a ton of corrosion on the sock body. In our climate here in SoCal you don't need them.

The way they ran those lines is a little weird, ask John to take a look at it and he will hook you up with a better solution.

7. Apr 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    CorpsmanUp

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibby
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ya I agree the line is ran wrong but i'm from TN and doing a PCS(changing duty stations) in 7 months to VA and I do a bit more mudding then anything and so far it's kept them relatively clean every other time i'd go mudding i'd loosen up the hose clamps and and make sure there wasn't a bunch of gunk trapped up in there and so far so good. But good advice thanks. And ya i'll see what they say on Monday and i'll probably just go with whatever he says cause I hate brake work with a passion!

8. Apr 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Napa

Brake*
    Caliper*

9. Apr 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    CorpsmanUp

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibby
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I'll give them a look but advanced, oreilys and AZ didn't carry one.

10. Apr 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Personally I would use a Toyota line. But a napa one to get out of a jam.

11. Apr 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    If you read his OP and look at the pictures you will see that it is not an OE brake set up it has been converted to a disc brake rear end and his hard lines are not OE either so an OE brake hose is useless. He needs a custom length hose with a banjo fitting on one end. In addition an upgraded stainless/ Kevlar hose will yield better brake feel which is why I suggest Crown Performance who also happens to be local here in San Diego.

12. Apr 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Yeah that shit drives me crazy too.

Break is not Brake
    Caliber is not Caliper.

Learn to fucking spell! :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014