Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Truck getting Crappy MPG HELP!!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
TacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud of
Name: Chris
TacoSurfer's Tacoma Gallery
New Truck getting Crappy MPG HELP!!

I just got a 2008 access 4.0, 6 speed manual 4x4 tacoma. Love everything about it but I'm averaging 15mpg. I know the truck shouldn't be getting the 20+ I was getting in my 01 2.7L but 15mpg???? Comments, Answers, Tips all welcome.
Thanks,
-Chris
P.S. Thats 15mpg with a fairly light foot. Not driving around enjoying the extra 94HP gain over the old truck. That was the first tank
Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
deeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dana
deeez's Tacoma Gallery
I average 14-16 with my 2013 6 speed manual.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
SodakTaco will become famous soon enough
SodakTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does your 2008 have modifications like a lift, larger tires, camper shell or body armor?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSurfer View Post
I just got a 2008 access 4.0, 6 speed manual 4x4 tacoma. Love everything about it but I'm averaging 15mpg. I know the truck shouldn't be getting the 20+ I was getting in my 01 2.7L but 15mpg???? Comments, Answers, Tips all welcome.
Thanks,

I'm getting 20.6 as an average on my UG (double cab, long bed V6). Do check your tire pressure.. low air can be an MPG killer.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
new truck

Quote:
Thanks,
-Chris
P.S. Thats 15mpg with a fairly light foot. Not driving around enjoying the extra 94HP gain over the old truck. That was the first tank
Does truck have a lift/and or heavy or taller tires? Mostly city driving? Be sure to check how accurate your odometer is - either GPS or run 20 miles on interstate (zero the trip odometer and compare). One other thing, when are you shifting - by 40-45 mph I'm in 6th gear.

Don't forget to update your profile.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
TacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud of
TacoSurfer's Tacoma Gallery
No Mods so far worn down 265/75/16 Nitto Terra grabbers with 30% tread left. I do more city than highway but still spend probably 40% on the Hwy. Im shifting around 2500RPM for each gear. Cruising the 55 zone at 60 in 6th gear.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
yuenhop is on a distinguished road
yuenhop's Tacoma Gallery
i get 14 on average
Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Wiggins is just really niceWiggins is just really niceWiggins is just really niceWiggins is just really nice
Wiggins's Tacoma Gallery
Let it breathe easier and you'll see improvement. Make sure you've got an aftermarket long-life air filter in it. I noticed about 2mpg better after putting the TRD Cold Air Intake and TRD Exhaust on my truck.

You might also consider getting some more conservative tires, as the Nitto tires are considered fairly mild, but nothing beats some good old Mid-grade Dunlop Donuts for your daily commute.

All-in-All, though... 14mpg for mixed driving conditions is par for the course when it comes to unmodified 4x4 Tacos.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you need new shocks.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No Mods so far worn down 265/75/16 Nitto Terra grabbers with 30% tread left. I do more city than highway but still spend probably 40% on the Hwy. Im shifting around 2500RPM for each gear. Cruising the 55 zone at 60 in 6th gear.
265/75-16 is a size up from the original size. That will make it appear that your mileage is off.

Edit: That tire size will change your actual mileage reading, making it appear that your mpgs are worse than it really is.

The difference is 3.4% from the original tire size. Take the mileage that your getting to a tank and add an extra 3.4% to the miles. That is your actual mileage.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
new truck

Quote:
I routinely skip a gear or 2 around town, ie 1,2,3,5 or 1,2,4,6. Really don't watch the tack that much, but I do get into 5 or 6 by 40-45 mph at a leisurely pace unless bumper to bumper. BTW, for around town I mean city streets, not 55 or higher urban highways. Tires are 1.3" or so larger diameter than stock, and about 30 revolutions difference per mile (computer is being fed less revolutions by sensor). Definitely meaure odometer error, I ran it thru a calculator, and came up with 3.3%, which would be about a .5 mpg (calculation based on diameter of brand new stock/larger tires). As tires wear, your gas mileage seems to improve as tires gradually become shorter.

Also, spend $8 at walmart and get a Slime digital pressure gauge. Only other choice I see is less aggressive tires.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
14 mpg isn't the best, but it isn't "crappy", either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
Let it breathe easier and you'll see improvement. Make sure you've got an aftermarket long-life air filter in it.
Aftermarket air filters rarely filter well. Choose wisely. You may want to follow Chris' test on his Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I just submitted a baseline oil sample to Blackstone. The OEM filter allowed for 11 PPM silica, where as the average is 9 PPM, so that's the benchmark the Donaldson filter has to hit. The best aftermarket filter I have tested was an AFE dry filter (IIRC), and it was around 300 PPM silica.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
dm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
dm1215al's Tacoma Gallery
I just don't see that 4.0 getting 20 mpg.
My 2014 V6 gets about 17 mpg in city driving.
Maybe a little closer to 20 on the highway.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
Flowin is on a distinguished road
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1215al View Post
I just don't see that 4.0 getting 20 mpg.
My 2014 V6 gets about 17 mpg in city driving.
Maybe a little closer to 20 on the highway.
I get 20+ mpg. I just hit 300mls and have 1/4 tank left. 70% city 30% highway
Old 04-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #15
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
My 6 speed gets 15mpg avg.

Which is about 350km/tank (220miles/tank).
Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
Auzea is on a distinguished road
Name: Alexander
Auzea's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if it's possible for you manual fella's, but try shifting around 2200. Most of you should be able to see 18+ easily even with 50/50 city and highway. Larger tires and a lift will definitely lower your mpg but even when I get on it I see at least 19mpg. 4x2 probably helps quite a bit though.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
I drive like a grandpa and get 16mpg, driving hard I get 14mpg.

I cannot stress enough to people that unless you LOVE driving standard, our 6 speed is not worth it.

Way worse MPG, Slow 0-60 and IMO it is an aweful transmission.

I have had 7 different standards and this one is making me never buy another standard truck.

I even prefer my old '92 4runner's 5 speed to this 6speed.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
hawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant future

hawkeye89's Tacoma Gallery
You bought a truck. If you wanted good gas mileage buy a rav4 or a prius
Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
265/75-16 is a size up from the original size. That will make it appear that your mileage is off.

Edit: That tire size will change your actual mileage reading, making it appear that your mpgs are worse than it really is.

The difference is 3.4% from the original tire size. Take the mileage that your getting to a tank and add an extra 3.4% to the miles. That is your actual mileage.
Actually I've heard a lot that going up 1 size puts the odo and speedo dead on on second gens
Old 04-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Flowin is on a distinguished road
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
Actually I've heard a lot that going up 1 size puts the odo and speedo dead on on second gens
My speedo shows about 2mph more than the actual speed on My Tom Tom and those "your speed" signs on the side of the road. My jeep was dead on with the same GPS. Don't know how accurate my GPS is though...all on stock height and tires