1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering shimmy advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by danbetta, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Apr 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    danbetta

danbetta [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Sag Harbor, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 4x4
    Hey, gang-

We've got a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab (I4) 4x4 - love it!

A few weeks ago we got a significant shimmy in the steering that comes and goes. It'll be there for 5 minutes or so and then we won't have it again for days. The truck doesn't see any kind of off road/rough road conditions.

As we just had a new set of tires put on, I was wondering if the balance could be something where, when the balanced tires are aligned just right you feel the shimmy and when the balances are not "in tune" you don't feel it?

I've got an appointment at the dealer this week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to check or look for.

Thanks.

2. Apr 26, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Tire balance would be the first thing I would check. I too currently have a horrible shake with my steering wheel and entire truck. Mine is at highway speeds though. I need to get them rebalanced. I noticed it after I rotated my tires.

Maybe if will fix my vibrations. :p

3. Apr 26, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    danbetta

danbetta [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Sag Harbor, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 4x4
    That's what my first thought was too, but after calling the Firestone place where I got them and hearing them say no way, I figured I'd take it back to the dealer.

We'll see.

Thanks.

4. Apr 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    I had the steering wheel shake when they balanced my tires the wrong way. Go to a reputable shop that knows what they are doing. Took a lot of tread off my tires before I got it fixed.

Products Discussed in

To Top