1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny vibrations? Now that I have your attention...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TX Tacoma, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Apr 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    TX Tacoma

TX Tacoma [OP] Fightin Texas Aggie

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    I have a 2009 PreRunner Dbl Cab 4.0L with 95K miles. Just started having vibrations at 22-25mph, 32-35mph, and 40-43mph, usually at 1500rpm, while under load (accelerating) and gets worse if I'm driving up an incline. This only happens in Overdrive. Any other gear doesn't have this problem.

No codes are being thrown.

Have done the following:
    New tires (balanced of course)
    New u joints (all 3)
    Transmission flush and new filter
    New spark plugs

I found nothing in the transmission pan to suggest anything other than usual wear (minimal grey sediment on magnets, no shavings).

Truck still vibrates. I could believe a computer is telling the transmission something incorrect, but I'm open to other input as well.

My truck has never suffered from the well documented vibrations that some tacomas seem to have from day one. I don't think this is anything like the carrier bearing or driveshaft having incorrect operating angles since this problem was nonexistent in the first 94,000 miles of driving. I think this is something that has gone bad and needs replacement, just don't know what yet.

Information on the computer and circuit that controls the transmission clutch actuation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Apr 28, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    TX Tacoma

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    I have checked the carrier bearing. I have 1/8" to 1/4" play in the bearing, which appears to be normal based on searches I've done on this forum and elsewhere. The bearing is making no noise, leading me to believe that it's fine.

Other than getting under the truck and pushig on the driveshaft to check the play as I've already done, what methods are there to check the carrier bearing?

I could change it out, but that's $200 bucks that may not help solve anything. Up to now everything I've done was due anyway, so I haven't wasted any time or money. I'd like to get some more diagnosis help before I start shotgunning solutions to an unknown problem.

Thanks for your reply.

3. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    TX Tacoma

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    bump

No one knows about the computer and transmission relationship or had similar issues?

Yes, I've searched ad nauseum prior to posting.

4. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    A gentle tap to the brakes will assist you in determining if the issue is engine related or torque converter . Leave one foot on the gas when in overdrive and vibration is present and tap the brakes . This will turn the converter lock up clutch off breifly . if the vibe goes away , you have a possible missfire or torque converter issue . Test drive and report back

There are more tests that need to be performed after you determine if the vibe goes away when you gently tap the brake pedal . The above test sets the baseline for the diagnostic

To add , have you cleaned mass air flow , throttle body and might as well clean the idle air control motor while your there ?

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. Apr 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    TX Tacoma

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    I tried tapping the brakes during the vibration and it seemed to go away.

Next step?

No I haven't cleaned the items you mentioned. I'll do that sometime this week.

6. Apr 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    How much of a process is it to change the carrier bearing?? Or is it expensive to do by a shop?

7. Apr 29, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    OK next test is called a stall test and I hate telling the average guy on the forums to do this to his truck but if you brought it to the dealer or trans shop , its what they would do next anyways . You already know the rpm the vibration/missfire occurs , so what your going to do next is try and reproduce that vibration/missfire at the same rpm it happens on the highway while you are parked in your driveway at home .

I shouldnt say this is what the dealer would do next as they do have better equipment than the average DIY

Follow the guidline on page 20 of this PDF . You are looking to re-create the vibration at the same rpm as what you feel on the highway when you are in overdrive .
    http://fjcruiser-club.com/docs/RM/A750E%20Automatic%20Transaxle.pdf

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. Apr 29, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  9. Apr 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    TX Tacoma

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    I'm still reading. Will attempt this sometime soon and report back.

Thanks for the input.

10. May 9, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    TX Tacoma

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    Just to follow up, the transmission flush and filter change must've done the trick.

After a week of driving, some in Drive, some in Overdrive, the new transmission fluid must've worked into the problem areas and displaced the old fluid because now my truck is vibration free.

I only wish I had done this flush prior to having a problem, but I thought if Toyota recommended flushing the transmission at 100k miles, they were being conservative, and I could do it before I hit 100k miles and be ok.

I've read since then that Toyota has revised that figure and now they recommend flushing the transmission at 60k miles.

Hopefully no damage was done and I can get another 100k miles out of this transmission before it needs replacing.

Thanks to all who replied and tried to help me diagnose/solve this problem. I appreciate it.

11. May 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top