1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's my Truck Worth?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mrsteve, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    mrsteve

mrsteve [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Sport
    I found out today I'm getting a company vehicle so I'm planning on selling my Tacoma. Forgive me for this thread but it's been a while since I've sold a modified car or truck. I know conventional thinking is that mods don't add any value but my mods include a supercharger.

It's a 2012 Double Cab Short Bed with about 54,000 miles on it. One owner. No accidents.

TRD SuperCharger
    TRD Exhaust
    OME 3" Lift
    BFG 33"s
    TRD Forged 17" Wheels
    Backflip Tonneau cover
    All stock parts (including wheels and tires)

KBB says $24k for a stock truck. Is that realistic to ask $26k without people thinking I'm crazy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I'd start out by trying to price it with Kelly Blue Book or something similar.

kbb.com

You may have to build a scenario on kbb that does not include your mods - then add each of them on to come up with a total.

Should desperation set in and you decide to sell to CarMax, take a large jar of vaseline with you.

You'll likely get more from an individual, but from what I've seen, even that side of the market has gotten tighter.

Good luck - nice lookin' truck.

3. Apr 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Use all the value sites. KBB, NADA, and Edmunds. Search you local CL for similar vehicles. Shop it around to several dealers. They are more than happy to buy your truck w/o trading for another vehicle.

I'd add $2500-$3000 for the SC. That's right about ½ the cost of a new one installed. It's NOT aftermarket mod. It's a factory approved part from Toyota installed by Toyota and keeps the remaining warranty when done so. It's just not listed on any of the value sites because it's not a 'factory' option but a somewhat rare dealer installed option. It used to be very common for dealers to install factory parts as and add on option. AC was a big one many years ago. Very few cars came from the factory w/ AC and was mostly added by the dealer at purchase.

4. Apr 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    IMO it's worth about $31,000 retail based on what you've listed and assuming condition is very good w/ no repairs to be made.

Wholesale I would expect about $27,000 + or -.

5. Apr 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    You can ask what you like, but kbb is probably going to be what you should expect. Also, if someone is going the path of getting a bank loan, their bank probably won't give them more then the kbb value. That's how my bank works anyway.

6. Apr 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    True

7. Apr 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    HHogrider

HHogrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Sport Pyrite Mica
    Tint, ARE Z-Series Cap, Yakima rack on cap, ROLA basket, SCS Stealth 6 Matte Gunmetal with full size spare, 285 Terra Grappler, OME lift (885's with Top Plate Spacers, full DAKARS, Carrier bearing drop, stainless extended rear brake lines, BORLA cat back exhaust, color matched All-Pro rear bumper
    $26k is very realistic. While mods do not add value, marketed properly, you will find someone smart enough to detail the $$ of a stock truck and the cost of mods when they realize that you have what they ultimately want....for less. If you don't have to hurry, be patient. That will appeal to someone quickly at $26

8. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    12 TRD OffRoad

12 TRD OffRoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x4 utility package
    Why don't you keep it?? Keep the miles off of it while you drive the company vehicle and have that badass truck for weekends and stuff! Your low
    Mileage Tacoma will be worth a good bit in years to come and that will be a great selling point!

9. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    mrsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Sport
    No need for two trucks honestly. I'll be getting a crew cab f150. Wouldn't mind banking the cash or putting it into a house renovation or something.

10. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    A new one w/ the $5000+ SC installed? I don't think so.

DCLB Sport MSRPs right around $34K. You can buy it for around $31-$32. SC bought and installed by Toyota dealer, in order to keep the 36/60 warranty, $5K minimum. That puts you right at $36-$37K. 20% of MSRP for first year depreciation and about 10% per year after that. Likely less since the Tacoma is known for it's low depreciation and high resale value. Knock of a bit for the higher than usually mileage and you're right there.

And while you may consider the SC a 'mod' it is indeed not. It's a Toyota part w/ a Toyota part # and is FULLY covered under Toyota's 36/60 factory warranty. What other 'mod' is approved by Toyota and covered at ANY Toyota dealership under the Toyota factory warranty?

11. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I'd say around $25.5-26. I got $26,700 for mine but it only had 15k miles.

Maybe add 1-1.5 for the SC

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  12. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I didn't want a SB or Access Cab or a 4 cylinder or black. Just because you don't want an option doesn't mean no one wants that particular option.

13. Apr 29, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    mrsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Sport
    And yes the S/C was purchased and installed at the dealership when the truck was just a few months old. Also has a Toyota 100K mile extended warranty. Not sure if its better to transfer the warranty or sell it back to Toyota. Probably will figure out what Toyota will give me for it and then ask the buyer if they're willing to match.

14. Apr 29, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    can you transfer the warranty?

15. Apr 29, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    mrsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Sport
    Unless the finance guy at the dealership lied to me when I asked him yes I can.

16. Apr 29, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Hmm.. I couldnt transfer mine. but good luck!

17. Apr 29, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    It all depends, is it really only in good condition or maybe better? I traded in an older car which was 6k at good and 8k at excellent...dealer offered me 6k without looking at it...I made him go out to the car since I insisted on excellent since it met the criteria and got the 8k.

18. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    In my opinion 24k is probably reasonable, I'd start at 25k and accept 24k. Your going to take some kind of hit selling a truck that is only 2 years old with 50k miles on it.

I don't think the super charger adds any value at all, unless you hold out a really long time on selling to wait for the absolute perfect buyer who already wanted one. More people might not even be interested because of the super charger; They will think you beat the truck or that it will get less gas mileage because of it, or one extra thing to repair/replace down the road.

The market is also limited; It's not easy to get someone with 25k to spend on a truck to buy used. Most people would rather put down a extra few grand and buy brand new exactly how they want it, with full warranty, 0 miles, and piece of mind knowing the full history of the vehicle.

19. Apr 29, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    mrsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Sport
    I understand the challenges of selling a used vehicle that's slightly modified. I just don't want to start with a price to high and figured I'd ask some guys who actually pay attention to this stuff.

I don't agree with your opinion that someone could put down a "few extra grand" and buy a similarly equipped truck. Without the supercharger, which is not an aftermarket part but a dealer accessory, it's a $31,000 truck new. Add $6,000 for a supercharger option and it's a $37,000 truck. Last I checked $12,000 isn't "a few grand" to most people.

I might agree with what you said about some people thinking the truck was "beat on" because of the supercharger if it were an aftermarket brand but it's a Toyota produced option installed by the dealer and backed by the full Toyota warranty. Regardless, I'm sure some people will be turned off by it and the other modifications. Luckily I'm not forced to sell it quickly in order to get into another vehicle.

20. Apr 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Start high but have a realistic price that you'd be willing to accept. Just don't be upset if it takes a while to sell.

If it were my truck that I put a lot of $/ mods into and I took well care of, then there's no reason not to start with a high-end reasonable asking price. $31K or $32K is a good place to start, especially since you have the SC. If this were a truck on my lot it would be priced at $32.5 with wiggle room of course.

Like someone posted earlier... Im sure youll find the right buyer who understands the time and money that has been put into this truck and will be willing to pay up. Just gotta find the right buyer!:)

Products Discussed in

To Top