1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by savedone, Apr 30, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Thanks, and yes pump grade, e10, ok I feel a little better. I just checked on a station that has no ethanol gas for sale. Only problem is it's 60 cents a gallon more than the e10 ethanol. :facepalm:

2. May 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    People can go back and forth about this shit all they want but bottom line is that ethanol is hyped bullshit myth for the greater majority of the motoring public. It has severall issues for people in different climates, does not save on emmissions if you have to burn more and fill up more often to go same distances, fucks with food supply pricing for everything corn is fed to & fucks with gas pricing when ethanol supply is low. Sure, some specialty folks will proclaim it's merits but that's a 1% thing and doesn't justify fucking over everyone else. Sure it's "renewable" except for the fact that it is subject to overpopulation and climate conditions. It is same bullshit change that is being forced down all our throats by asswipes in DC. No sale, brainwash fail.

3. May 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Worth it on one level but having to do less at the refinery should cost less at the pump tho.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  4. May 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    You would sure think so

5. May 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Economics 101. Basic supply and demand. In this case it is the supply side.

6. May 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    zmw

zmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    2014 TXproBAJA
    none
    Except for the asswipes in DC part, science doesn't support a single thing you've posted.

You act as if the fuel and ethanol are the same burn and same result. What if water was the only by product of your engine but in order to produce water you were burning an arbitrary fuel at 2x the rate of petrol - is that still a waste of time and effort? Your comparison is like burning Styrofoam and paper and assuming that because they both produce fire they must be equally caustic.

there is no conspiracy, there is no increase in food prices, there is ill effects from ethanol for the VAST MAJORITY of the motoring public.

The problem with statements like yours is you actually vehemently believe that drivel without any ability to substantiate a single word of it - even in this own thread there are people that rebute the food statistics with the ACTUAL fact of the cost of goods...

No the world is not flat.

I am the farthest thing from a tree hugger there can possibly be, I love burning fires, big ass diesel trucks, race cars, and hate hybrids with a passion because they are tools not toys. But I have no delusions about whether or not fossil fuels are a finite resource. One day the gas and oil will run out, probably not in my lifetime, but it will happen and unless we as a society have worked to replace that consumption with something else, be it ethanol or electric, or hydrogen, or whatever - we're going to be in a world of hurt.

Ethanol is here TODAY it is something that manufacturers COULD very easily get on board with and optimize for, and as consumption goes up, there will be new ways to produce ethanol, right now in the US it's corn, but it doesn't have to be - Brazil produces up to e100 using sugar cane, they require a minimum of e25 at the pump and have vehicles that run exclusively on e90+ - There is no reason that can't be the US long term...

7. May 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    texascolt45

texascolt45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    groves texas
    Vehicle:
    prerunner 4 cylinder
    wheels,bilsteins,side bars
    A friend of mine works at the Valero refinery down here.he's convinced ethanol is on the way out.too many problems,too much hassle to mix at the bulk plant.in the near future they'll use something else.he's been there since it was a Gulf refinery.

8. May 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    zmw

zmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    2014 TXproBAJA
    none
    I would not disagree with that - the ethanol industry has been propped up by subsidy for a very long time, as soon as that ends it is doubtful ethanol can stand on it's own, at least right now. The problem is cafe requirements in place will still require some for of renewable/alternative fueling so what will that end up being is the real question.

I would be shocked if you saw ethanol go anywhere in the next 10 years, but it's obvious that vendors and manufacturers aren't really on board. Every gallon of ethanol mixed by valero is a gallon of something that they aren't earning profit on so they have little or no incentive to make it a better process.

9. May 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?

Products Discussed in

To Top