1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hail Damage, fix or roof rack?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CpuPirate, May 1, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 at 4:36 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    under insurance you should get a new hood (can't usually fix) and they'd pull/cut the roof panel between the two seams and replace. The rubber seams would cover the welds. The pther dents would be pulled out by machine [or pdr if possible.]
    Would roof rack be a mileage hog? But if you decide to go with one, if hail came again it'd protect the roof-a good thing. Check below:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...amage-added-more-pictures.html?highlight=hail

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. May 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    What OCNutty said is correct. I just had $8000 in damage due to hail. The hood was replaced. For the roof they take the rubber molding off of the roof. Underneath the molding you will find the welds that hold the roof on which they grind off. After the welds are ground off they cut the roof off of the truck. When they replace the roof it is not welded on it is glued on. They showed me the glue that is used and the testing that it has gone through. it actually is stronger then the welds. All the rest of the dents in the truck are taken out with pdr. On my truck no bondo was used. The check was made out to me and the collision repair company. Good luck on your decision

3. May 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    I never said that it could be done on anything. I said he was over estimating how often filler was used for hail repairs.. I don't see why we are arguing this though? The only point I was trying to make is that he needed to go to another shop if they wanted to use filler on all the dents... There are many other options..

4. May 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    mmarino

mmarino Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR
    OME Suspension with Dakars, NWTI bumpers, BAMF Sliders, Color matched grill, Centruy cap, Relentless Hi-Lift Bracket, HID headlights & foglights, PIAA fogs, 42" Rampage radius LED bar, Wet okole seat covers, Console & glove box organizers, AFE pro dry filter
    A friend of mine had his FJ hood and roof destroyed by a nasty hail storm. His insurance paid for PDR and his truck looks brand new.

5. May 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    CpuPirate

CpuPirate [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DBSB TRD/OR
    Thanks for the responses guys, I think I will get an estimate at the dealer as well as from the ins company, I don't mind replacing the roof as I want to get some other things painted anyway ( bumper and grille) and I would just pay the extra when they do it, im just not a fan of body filler.

6. May 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    LiquidDragon

LiquidDragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Williamsburg, Va but now in the Philippines
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Hilux Conquest 4x2
    none yet
    panoramic sunroof? Will remove most of the damaged area.

7. May 2, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Hail sucks. I live in Dallas and every spring we're having to dodge a storm. Golf-ball sized hail and larger will destroy a car.

8. May 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Yeah we got hammered here in Denton.. Totaled a few of my friends cars/trucks I got lucky and only had like 3k in damage waiting to pay off the truck to claim it though

9. May 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Don't fret OP earlier this week a shopping cart traveling downhill smashed my door...that thing got some speed, getting it pdr-ed saturday :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mother nature<idiot shoppers

10. May 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    CpuPirate

Member:
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DBSB TRD/OR
    Sucks Tash, post some pics before and after I want to see the work

11. May 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I'm in Flower Mound. You guys did get pounded. Denton is the closest town to me in a straight line. I don't know how you got it so bad, and we missed that last one. If my paycheck didn't stop here, I'd be in Colorado. Kinda keen to keep the paycheck...

12. May 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Me and my wife's work got hammered. Our house on the other side of town still had golf ball size hail bit not the base balls we got at work.. I parked beside a simi and it blocked most of them thank god . that said I love it here... We get every type of weather possible. Only thing that sucks are the draughts

13. May 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    SlickDuck

SlickDuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Southern WV
    Vehicle:
    09 DC MGM TRD Offroad
    I had a great deal of hail damage on the hood and roof my first gen several years ago. My insurance company wrote me a check for repairs, but so many vehicles were damaged that day that the wait to get in a shop was several weeks. As the days passed waiting for my appointment, summer temps began to rise in the afternoon. For several days I could hear the dents pop out every time I drove out to lunch, especially if I hit a bump. Before my appointment rolled around I only had one dent left, and some extra cash.

14. May 3, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

I didn't know that. What's the reason?

15. May 3, 2014 at 5:33 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    PDR works better and if there is significant damage it's cheaper in the long run to take the roof off. I'd rather have a new roof anyway.

16. May 3, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
  17. May 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Got it done saturday forgot to post pic. Here ya go
    Thanks to Concourse auto salon in San Antonio, Tx looks good as new
    [​IMG]

18. May 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    CpuPirate

Member:
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DBSB TRD/OR
    That looks great Tash, glad it came out alright, my ins adjuster recommended a few PDR shops here in town so im going to get some estimates.

19. May 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Agreed, they could always pop a deep dent with a stud welder and skim it, that wouldn't scare me at all. Its not like when you were a kid and gobbed the stuff in a hole to fill it up.

PDR... had it done 1/2 dozen times, these guys are amazing.. again, no reason to be afraid of this.

Products Discussed in

To Top