Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Brake Pads? Already?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
New Brake Pads? Already?

Hey guys!

I have about 35k miles and noticed when I brake I hear a squeek off and on as if it's squeeking only on one part of the rotor. Is it too soon to already need new brakes and turn my rotors?

Next should I pay for my brakes to be replaced or is it a job that I can do myself. I haven't replaced pads myself since like high school years ago in auto shop lol.

Thanks!
~Slim
Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
If ya do it, pay to have it done... it's fairly easy to do, but such a PITA... I'd rather take it in...
Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I get some squeaks to and I only have 24,500 miles on my truck.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah I get some squeaks to and I only have 24,500 miles on my truck.
damn dude... you hardly drive that thing...
Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

K how much you think it will cost to get this done?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
If ya do it, pay to have it done... it's fairly easy to do, but such a PITA... I'd rather take it in...
What do you mean a PITA??? Its one of the easiest things to chang eont the truck......
Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What do you mean a PITA??? Its one of the easiest things to chang eont the truck......
Shouldn't I take the rotors off to get them turned?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
x10000 on that chris,i got 70,000 and prob be able to get 80,000 on mine.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Shouldn't I take the rotors off to get them turned?
Check your pads first. If there are no gouges in the rotor, you shouldnt need to have them turned.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #10

K the rotors seem to be pretty smooth not valleys or ridges at all. Just have a bunch of lines as any rotor would after being used for a while.

How will I know if the pads need to be replaced or if they are just being a little squeeky?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
K the rotors seem to be pretty smooth not valleys or ridges at all. Just have a bunch of lines as any rotor would after being used for a while.

How will I know if the pads need to be replaced or if they are just being a little squeeky?
Take your wheel off and look at them. Anything more than 5mm and they are fine. The squeek may be atributed to some dirt or something stuck in the pads.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Brake pads are real easy to put on. I know in my region for Toyota we have been running a brake pad special forever. 84.95 - 104.95 depending on the cost of the pads. Pads for your truck probably run about 76.00. 30 bucks to have someone put them on is not alot. Before we started this special, it would have cost ya 181.00. At that point I say do them yourself. Call your local dealer and get a price and on a front pad install. Can't hurt.

As far as your question to "do I need them at 35K?". Brakes are a very personal issue to the driver of the vehicle and the type of driving that is done. The "average" person is about 40-60K if you short brake all the time and brake hard and fly around corners al the time expect less than normal wear, if you drive like a human being you can get even more than 60K. I have 52K on my truck and have about 30% of my pads left. I don't drive like Gramma either, ask my insurance company lol. Hope this answers your questions and helps you out brother. Chris gave some great advice also, 5MM or less replace them. The Pass/Fail point for for Virginia inspection is 2MM. generally anything less than 10% or 5MM deems replacement. Also remember the lower the pad amount the faster they wear.