1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 extended warranty prices

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chubrok, May 4, 2014.

1. Feb 26, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    Lv4Tacos

Lv4Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None
    Keep us posted on what you find out as I am about to buy a warranty from Toby. I asked him if any Toyota dealer would honor the warranty and he said they would. Living in MN it would be a tad difficult to take my truck to Toby's dealership for service.

2. Feb 26, 2015 at 4:35 PM
    Lv4Tacos

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None
    Ok.... I just got off the phone with a representive from Toyota Financial and basically he stated that Lexus dealers sell the extended warranty nationally, but Toyota dealers are not authorized to do so. He further stated that they are not suppose to do it and it is unlikely the warranty would be valid (Tacoma purchased in Mn and the warranty purchased out-of-state). So... No extended warranty for me. Bummer!

I think Toby is a stand up guy, but I don't take any chances and find out four years down the line I don't have coverage.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:15 PM
    MikeinFresno

MikeinFresno Active Member

Member:
    can you give me the number you called so I can know if it the same office as what is on my VSP papers?

4. Feb 27, 2015 at 3:44 AM
    siderman

siderman Well-Known Member

Member:
    thats interesting to say the least. sounds like Toycor is really trying to discourage the practice of out of region(discounted) warrenty sales because what if you move to a dif part of the country- the warrenty is no good? dont see how that can stand up. I emailed Toby a good few weeks ago but not heard back. Besides, the pprwrk has to go thru Toycor and be approved no?

5. Feb 27, 2015 at 4:41 AM
    Lv4Tacos

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None

I called the 800 number listed on their web-site: 1-800-228-8559. Please post what you find out.

Yes... The Toyota rep in a nut shell said it can't be done. I agree with you that Toyota Financial accepts, approves and processes the warranty app. I really wanted the extended warranty as I plan to keep this truck a very long time. But after the issue I had with Toyota Corp about my first oil change (long story) I don't want to risk it.

Read post #42 of this thread...

Update: I called Toyota Financial this morning and talked with a different rep then last night. He said I could buy the extended warranty from a dealer other then the one I purchased the truck from but had to be within the same state and within 100-150 miles of my address. Interesting!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  6. Feb 27, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    If you have this kind of question, post it to Toby directly or better yet call him. This is maybe a valid concern, but TFS serves all Toyota, incl Lexus. The booklet you get is from Toyota (not 'Lexus') is final agreement.

I have purchased all my warranty plans out of state (jerry from Kansas as well as Toby) and used them on my Sienna, Corolla, and Highlander (in Virginia) over the past decade. Not even a question as it's all in the Toyota service record on-line. They don't even ask for the booklet you get from TF; my Highlander lost an O2 sensor last June, took 15 minutes after diagnosis, to get fix approval and parts ordered..

By all means, call him.

Update: Per the https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub...e_protection_plans/vehicle_service_agreements site, service is from any Toyota dealer (nationwide service network....)

"Platinum Protection
    Have the peace of mind and confidence knowing your new Toyota has the highest level of service agreement protection we offer with our Platinum VSA.
    Most ProtectionCovers eligible repair costs after your vehicle's warranty expires,1 including parts not covered in Gold and Powertrain plans.Roadside Assistance & Travel ProtectionIncludes 24/7 Roadside Assistance and reimbursements for covered vehicle rentals, meals and lodging. Restrictions apply.2Flexible Coverage TermsTerms range from 3 years/50,000 total vehicle miles to 8 years/125,000 total vehicle miles.3Backed by ToyotaEnjoy access to our nationwide service network. Plus, all service will be performed by Toyota's factory-trained technicians using only Toyota-approved parts."

7. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    Lv4Tacos

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None
    OCNutty: Hey... I agree with you. I looked over the brochure and their web-site before contacting Toby. What got me to question this was post #81 and then after contacting Toyota Financial I am really questioning whether an extended warranty (purchased out-of-state) would be honored when and if I ever needed it.

As I stated before, I think Toby is a reputable dealer, but the conflicting information I have received concerns me. Not sure what I am going to do. I know for sure that I will not be buying an extended warrant from my local dealer.

8. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    MSCOFF

MSCOFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 AC 4WD
    *is there a difference between buying over the internet and buying direct from a dealer at his place of business. Even if the vehicle was bought in a different state.

9. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    Lv4Tacos

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None
    Interesting question: I just got off the phone with another out-of-state dealer. He stated that he can sell me a extended warranty, which Toyota will honor , but I must be at his dealership in person to sign the papers (basically no internet or phone sales).

My local dealer disputes that statement. The local dealer also tried to tell me that the platinum warranty sold in the souther states (different region) does not cover the same items as the warranty sold in the northern region.

So much misinformation out there!

10. Feb 27, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    CreepyCrawly

CreepyCrawly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oxford, Ms
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab SAS

I am curious how Toyota does this...I purchased my '15 DCSB in Mississippi, but during the 36 month factory warranty I will live in MS, VA, possibly FL, NC, and CA. So per this policy, I can't buy the extended warranty in CA 2 years from now and have it be valid because I bought the truck in MS?

11. Feb 27, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    Lv4Tacos

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None
    I just can't believe that is correct, but don't know that for sure. As I stated before I believe there is a lot of misinformation being provided by both Toyota Corp customer service reps and dealers.

I am beginning to think that the actual agreement needs to be reviewed to see if there is any language regarding the whole purchase process. It is also my opinion that once Toyota Corp accepts and processes the extended warranty application, you have a valid warranty.

It is also my opinion that some of the information out there has been put out there intentionally to discourage buyers from finding a low cost seller (such as Toby and others).

I need to sit down with my local dealer and have some of these questions answered.

12. Feb 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    CreepyCrawly

CreepyCrawly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oxford, Ms
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab SAS
    I think I will do that as well. They tried pretty hard to sell me one when I bought the truck. I declined because I doubt I'll keep it for 3/36. But when I asked about buying it later, I was also told it would cost more later. Pressure sales tactic me thinks. It didn't work. I will inquire this week and report back. I am one of the few that actually likes the 2016 so I see one in my future.

13. Feb 28, 2015 at 12:31 AM
    Mr.Franko

Mr.Franko Member #140853 Joined Oct. 22, 2014

Member:
    "send me location" K.Nurmagomedov
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB Baja TX
  14. Feb 28, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    OCNutty

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    First; just to humor myself, when I get a chance I'll make an 'innocent' call to TF and ask about the VSP on my 13 RAV4, purchased from Toby and ask them the date of the expiration of the warranty. I don't expect any negative answer.

Second: I am understand that they use dis-information / ignorant personnel, if that will help quell the dealers' loss of revenue concerns-put a scare so the buyer will cave to an extra 800+ to pump up selling profits. E.g. I've dealt with a local dealer, who said I had a leaky oil pan gasket on my Sienna indicating it wasn't under VSP. Of course he'd rather have the larger cash sale rather than warranty compensation.
    I dumped that dealer went to another and asked for a free inspection, and they came right back, oil pan gasket leak w/o prompting, and had already checked VSP validity. No hassles, immediate fix under the VSP. VSP was bought from Kansas (Jerry).

Final thought: Track your 3/36 to make sure it doesn't expire. Get a warranty from Toby, finish the process, get the booklet, call them and demand a refund if it violates the terms of the contract (as stated in the booklet). The booklet is the contract. Also when I can, I'll copy my VSP booklet t/c pages, bought thru Toby, and post them.

MeThinks there's WAY too much drama in this thread, but understand that buyers want to be certain.....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  15. Feb 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Oh I quite agree, way too much drama and uncertain info. After the number of posts in this and other threads I'd say shame on Toyota for leaving the customer unknowing if they are getting screwed one way or the other....

16. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    OCNutty

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Not exactly what I was referring to by "drama" but I accept your point. That said, I don't want people who've noodled over this to be dissuaded by the telephone crew at TFS; who knows what they've been told to say when asked the question about VSP sales....

Lexus of Shreveport is the VSP seller of record if purchasing via Toby. There is a specific agreement number, welcome page, advice to keep your vehicle service up to date, etc.

Attached, is the 'legaleze' in the VSP booklet; Hopefully, helpful information, which even the dealer financial manager may not want you to slog thru in the emotion of car buying/financing.

The only somewhat troublesome issue with vsp coverage is non-covered stuff, which may lead to non-covered repairs. So maintenance is key. For example: If you blow a radiator hose, overheating, which leads to, say a damaged head gasket, [the hose isn't covered in the VSP (only to 3/36)] and probably not the resulting engine damage. (w/o a hose failure, the head gasket WOULD be covered if it failed by itself)

Actual covered stuff is here: http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/tcuv_platinum_vsa.pdf

Good luck to all..

Attached Files:

17. Mar 1, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    Lv4Tacos

Member:
    Mn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Base AC 4x4
    None
    Yeah.... After reading the posts, there was a little drama. Anyway, the drama is over. I ended up purchasing a VSP Platinum plan from my local dealer. She wasn't able to meet the quotes I received from Toby or Jerry but was within $100 and change. So, for me it was worth a few extra dollars to purchase local. When I can, I prefer to support the local businesses (that's not always possible). In all honestly, the local dealer has treated me very well, so I am a very happy camper.

The extended warranty is one of those items you hope you never use, but if you do, you will be glad you purchased it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  18. Mar 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES

What was the difference between the original price and your final price you paid?

19. Mar 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM
    JimBCa

JimBCa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    Just make sure your clear on things that may void the warranty. My local dealer voided mine for adding additional spring and overload to keep it level when pulling trailer.

20. Mar 1, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.

There is a Federal Law against that so fight it. Magnusson act I believe.

Products Discussed in

To Top