1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014-2015-2016? a little advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Berto, May 5, 2014.

1. May 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    Berto

Berto [OP] Braaaptist

Member:
    First Name:
    Berto
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '17 Inferno TRD 4x4 OR
    Tried the search option but couldn't get the answers I wanted...

Here is my problem:

In 2013 I was in the market for a new car and went against my desire to get a Tacoma, bought a GM, overpriced POS. The car hasn't been "bad", but I can't stand it and it bothers me now, as pretentious as that sounds...

I want to trade it in, take my lumps and get a 2014 Taco Access Cab, 5 speed 4 banger, blah blah blah.

My question, with all of the talk of this Colorado/Canyon and Toyota improving their 2015/2016, should I suck it up with my GM vehicle and wait it out? How much of a game changer will this 3rd gen taco be? I know these are big questions but I don't want to pick up a '14 and in late '14, mid '15 toyota launches a revolutionary truck.

My goal is to keep this thing until the wheels fall off... I drive about 10k-12k per year, so I want to get 10-15 years out of my next vehicle once I get it.

My house will be paid off (12 years to go) before I buy another car. That was the "goal" with my GM, but I just don't like it or see it making it that long (sad).

Regret listening to the Detroit crew of "buy 'merican"

Thanks and hope to learn a lot from you guys on here.

2. May 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    Ken b

Ken b Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Surprise, Az
    Vehicle:
    14 offroad 4x4
    ARE shell, bedrug, TRD wheels
    Buy what you want. Life is to short. No one to blame but your self. You can get great deals on 14s right now. You can play the waiting game but that means you go longer without what you want.

3. May 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    alnewt1234

alnewt1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TForce
    New model vehicles always have growing pains. Buy the 14 and if a game changer comes in to play, your resell value will be high enough to make it worth getting in a few years when the kinks are worked out. That's why I got my 14 instead of waiting.

4. May 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    There's no info on a new tacoma at this point. No one knows when it will come or what kind of truck it will be. If you want to wait for it, that's up to you. If you want a truck now, go for it.

5. May 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    Berto

Berto [OP] Braaaptist

Member:
    First Name:
    Berto
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '17 Inferno TRD 4x4 OR
    Sound advice fellas.

Went against my gut and it bit me in the ass… 2013 was the year of me not following my gut and that happening… live and learn.

6. May 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    RIKDRT1

RIKDRT1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego, CA
    Vehicle:
    LongBed Black Beauty 4x4
    I wouldn't buy a 14 right now. Im not a GM fan, but I would at least wait 3-5months for the Colorado and see what you think. there are a lot of claims on the new GM product, and even GM is quick to say - there is nothing similar to the 2012 Colorado - nothing. that got my attention. I need a truck real bad too -- but I want to wait to see the GM offering + maybe Nissan will have a redesign for 2015 - although not that much attention there.

why would I NOT get a 14? well -- its 10years later almost and that thing still gets a lousy 17mpg - that's the first reason. resale value will definitely drop as the 3rd gen gets announced. people will be offloading the 2nd gen fast, and there goes the last 10yrs of outstanding resale value - I don't think that will be the case in 2015 when the Colorado / Nissan is already planned to get almost 30 or more MPG + the Tacoma may be announced soon - if Toyota is smart. I have never owned a GM .. well not in 25+yrs at least but I can wait a few months before I plunk down 25-30k.

similar situation as u - but just my 2cents.

7. May 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Resale wont drop. Look at resale on 1st gens and Toyota trucks prior to 1st gen. Still holding phenomenal value.

8. May 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    RIKDRT1

RIKDRT1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego, CA
    Vehicle:
    LongBed Black Beauty 4x4

didn't think about that ... true. you are right.
    I hope not because if the gm sucks, I too am in the same boat..
    I would probably rather/prefer to buy a 2012 with 15k miles than a 14.... a little less + just in case the new one comes out I can save a little bit. nothing too special between 14 and a nice 12 I don't think.

man, I really wish Toyota would just surprise the world and release theirs for 2015. its been 10yrs. this is ridiculous.

9. May 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Just little differences from the 12-14. The problem with buying used is the price. When I originally went to look at the Tacoma, my idea was to buy a used one. The price of a used one though is almost the same as new. Usually ends up being just a few thousand more for a new one.

I'm speculating, but between not having any competition and the Tacoma basically being pure profit for Toyota at this point, Toyota hasn't had much of a reason to redesign. My guess is they'll wait for the other companies to come out with their trucks, then redesign the Tacoma accordingly.

10. May 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The major auto shows are done.
    The new Tundra was announced before this time of the year.
    I would be extremely surprised to see any changes for 2015 in the Tacoma line.
    Earliest we'll see a 3rd Gen Tacoma will likely be 2016.

Keep an eye on this site: http://fleet.toyota.com/availability.asp
    It provides availability information, and also indicates model changes.
    Currently simply indicates that 2015 pricing will be out in August.
    Last year by this time, several models had notes "All new" or "Minor changes"
    Also, factory orders for Tacoma are DONE.
    Any current dealer orders will be filled with 2015 production starting in September.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. May 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Cant' wait that long.
    The new Tacoma has been designed and the test mules are probably pretty far along in production.
    They still need road testing, then the publicity push at the auto shows.
    It takes 2-5 years to get a vehicle through design, testing, and into production. Any company that waits to see what the competition is doing will lose out.
    They might make some small cosmetic or options package changes based on a competitor release, but nothing as major as engine/trans design.

12. May 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    They can wait as long as they like. They already have.

13. May 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    vsTerminus

vsTerminus Active Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4 6-Speed
    +1 for this advice. I look at it much like buying a new phone: Sure, you can wait until the next generation launches in 6 or 8 months or however long, and maybe it will be perfect and incredible and you'll love it. Or maybe you'll just end up playing the waiting game forever while you continue to use the phone you hate.

If you are satisfied with what a '14 can offer you, I say go for it.

Even if we do see revolutionary changes for 2015 (which seems unlikely given that we know nothing so far), 2016 will be 2015 with fewer problems. Can you really wait that long? :p

I got my first Tacoma just over a week ago. I had to drive 5 hours to get it from a private seller one province over, and then 5 hours home again. I paid a little less than half the retail value of a brand new 2014 equivalent. The truck is in excellent condition and was well maintained. The only downside is the mileage (125,000 miles), but I'm really not worried about that. I'll put another 100 on it easily.

The hardest part was just finding one that fit my three requirements (Double cab, 4x4, manual transmission). There are tons of them driving around, but nobody wants to sell!

14. May 5, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    2002 (Facelift)
    2012 (Facelift)

The model spacing is fairly consistent with changes to the HiLux models as well... perhaps even more frequent.

15. May 6, 2014 at 3:35 AM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    I seriously doubt there are "tons of them driving around". Very few people who want a double cab buy a Manual.

16. May 6, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    well we bought the warden her 2012 TX TRD OR in june of the same year, once she saw it, all I could see was $$ in the dealer's eyes.

luckily I already had a plan of getting the 2012 and by the time the next gen comes out (2016 production year - 2017 model year) we could decide to either get the next gen fully loaded (she is kicking herself for going with looks instead of my advice of interior features) or if it she doesn't like the looks, get a end run of the 2nd gen limited.

the Colorado will have been out a year and Toyota will decide during that time to do any last minute minor changes to compete with the Colorado.

the biggest problem I see with the Colorado is size/feature creep compared to the full size. its practically 75% of the full size all around, why not just get a full size. at least between the Tacoma and tundra there is a bigger gap.

back on topic, if your looking for a 2012, they are very good, but the resale pricing is nuts that you could get a new 2013 or 2014 for around 4-5k more than what you could get a used 2012 at some locations. if you do get a 2013-14, you could look into getting a 3rd gen when they come out in 2-3yrs or be happy with what you get now.

another thing you could look at, once the 3rd gen comes out, you could upgrade to the new one with the features you skimped on the one you get now. that is what has happened with the warden's 2012, features she skimped on this round she wants in the next Tacoma.

17. May 6, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Do you want untested bells and whistles or a proven solid truck? Ask yourself that. New gm will be leaps and bounds over 3rd gen tacoma in innovation, though it may have bugs. The 3rd gen tacoma is up to date and a rock solid performer. No it doesn't get 28 mpg and is lacking in interior creature comforts, but it has a workhorse of a motor and tranny and aftermarket parts/upgrades are limitless. I bought my 13 to make a run at 15 years. It's all decked out and ready to go. Looking forward to hunting, fishing, taking road trips to the Carolina's, trail driving, trailering my motorcycle, and hauling junk in it (I'm enticing you here) Can you do that with your current chevy?

image.jpg

18. May 6, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    One thing is for sure, and that is the next Tacoma will not be revolutionary. Toyota will not risk their most loyal customer base by building something unproven.

19. May 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    you didn't buy a '12 (as was the initial statement of pricing), you bought an '08, big difference. 125k for a 6 yr old truck is nothing. 125k for a 2 yr old truck is high mileage.

there's only been 2 gens of Tacomas, not 3 :D

20. May 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    Berto

Berto [OP] Braaaptist

Member:
    First Name:
    Berto
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '17 Inferno TRD 4x4 OR
    Yeah, I think it's time to take a trip to the dealer and start haggling.

I have friends with the "Eco Boost" ford and NO ONE is getting 20mpg or higher, and they've had issues out the butt.

I want to make a run at 15 years minimum with this truck, one with history is probably my best bet. Lots of supermoto and mountain trips.

Last edited: May 6, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top