1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic tranny downshifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TreeDog, May 8, 2014.

1. May 10, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    Once I understood what was happening I started liking this feature. If you don't want to downshift don't tap the brakes. If you want to get out of it, tap the gas. Easy peasy.

2. May 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    TreeDog, I feel your pain. Mine would downshift really hard and drive me nuts. At first I would just pop it in neutral every time I hit the brakes. My new trick is to downshift to 4th when I first hit the brakes and while holding my foot on the brake shift back into drive. This seems to stop the terrible downshift. My other trick with the transmission is when going uphill and the tranny doesn't want to shift out of 3rd on its own, I drop it into 4th for about 1 sec and then back to drive. Sometimes it will upshift right away, sometimes not. Try these tricks and see if they help.

3. May 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
    It seems to be most noticeable when the truck is new. The downshifts smooth out as time goes on. I didn't like it at first but like it now.

4. May 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Why do you go out of your way to prevent the engine from revving? The 1GR can take redline all day.

5. May 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Also a quick note. if you find that the tranny downshifts but you want to be back up a gear. A quick flip from D to 4th back to D will make it come up one gear.

There is a hill on my way home from work that will make it downshift to 3rd, D-4th-D will bring it up one gear at a time if i want all the way back to 5th.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  6. May 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Engine braking would be fine if the world was flat and every time I touched my brakes I was coming to a complete stop. In the real world going downhill on the interstate highways you have to use your brakes to stay around the posted speed limit (65 in PA). But when your traveling at 65 and you ride your brakes gently to try to stay at speed limit and your transmission downshifts into 4th, then 3rd it revs your engine to 4000 rpm, that gets old really fast. I understand that this is considered a feature and some people like it, but I don't. Some people say it saves gas. When I shift into neutral every time I brake I get better mileage. I can see where this would be a great for hauling heavy loads and towing but it could be put on a switch in the dash(don't haul or tow every day). And lastly people say this saves on your brakes, I would rather change my brakes than change an engine or transmission. This has to put more wear and tear on your engine and transmission. I will drive my way, you drive yours.

7. May 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    ^^^^^^ I dont find my transmission downshifts to the point where its an aggressive downshift or hard like you say. I can feel it but in no means is it a hard downshift or to the point where installing a switch to bypass the feature would make things better .
    Having test driven a few 2nd gen Tacomas , I have never noticed aggressive downshifting . Maybe try an ecm re-learn by removing battery terminal ?

8. May 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    TreeDog

TreeDog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab SR5
    That is exactly how I feel about it. It would be a really nice feature IF you could turn it on and off. Like a tow/haul button. I also agree on the wear and tear, can't be good for it in the long run. And I've never thought that "shifting" an automatic was good for it.

During the test drive it never did this. I've always been a manual guy except for company trucks and the silverado that I traded in for this one. I was really impressed with the auto. Shift points were good and it didn't constantly search for the right gear. I really like the truck, in fact the only thing I don't like is this feature. I bought this truck with the intention of keeping it for a long time. Honestly I don't think this is something I can get used to or be happy with. Another dealer has the same truck with a 6spd that I might have to go look at this week.

9. May 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    It just shifts different, takes some getting used too, took me about 5k...every newer F150/silverado transmission shifts smoother than ours but then again they don't last that long and have other issues. It might has done this during the test drive as well, but since it's a new car there's so much to pay attention to that you don't notice every little detail.

10. May 12, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have to be on my brakes pretty good before this kicks in. Riding my brakes it never happens. I think there may be something wrong with you truck!

11. May 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

How exactly is shifting gears going to hurt the transmission ?

12. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    1st post on Tacomaworld...

I just took delivery of a 14 DCLB TRD Sport I ordered 6 weeks ago. Took it on a drive to the cabin (300 miles) to "break it in" a little. I love the truck, but I did notice an odd shift pattern that led me to here. I read through this thread and I just want to make sure what I'm experiencing is really "normal."

I noticed that when I was cruising at 55 or 45 and then tapped the brakes to cancel the cruise control, it would coast for a bit and then right around 32 mph it felt like it downshifted. Not harsh but noticeable.

Do I let it go and get used to it or head back to the dealership this week for a check?

13. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Normal

14. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  15. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Try shifting into 4th or 3rd depending on how fast you are going. I took my V6 Auto out in the San Juan Islands recently and it is very hilly and curvy on those islands. Driving in "D" the tranny wanted to search for gears at certain speeds and I was constantly playing with how much gas I was putting on to compensate for it.

I switched into 4th gear for most of the driving and even 3rd on some hills, and the transmission responded a lot better.

16. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's common sense automatic transmission usage.

17. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    Thanks for the reassurance. Sorry to revive a 3 month old thread. This is my first Tacoma. My last Toyota was a 1977 2 wheel drive pickup. The trucks I've had in between have not done this sort of thing...or at least I never noticed it. I'll just let her buck for now.

18. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    I just noticed it, we moved up on a hill and it does it on the way down, nice feature, saves the brakes and it feels like I have more control.

19. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    And brake lining yeah I guess these new fangled things are just pretty much junk my 65 Dodge didn't do that.

Products Discussed in

To Top