1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't shift out of Park (even with Override) - Park Lock Solenoid Failed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cdn_bacon, May 10, 2014.

1. May 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Hmm , if you are taking the counsole off , just test the wires at the shift interlock solenoid for voltage .
    Tapping the brake pedal should turn voltage on and off and using the over-ride should turn voltage on and off

The brake switch is on the brake pedal ,but it sounds like your brake switch is working fine . If you are taking the counsole off , just test the shift interlock solenoid ....Dont need to start the truck , just turn the ignition on .

2. May 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  3. May 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
  4. May 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Your solenoid is def not energizing or it is stuck. I'm betting you have a blown fuse.

Looking at the circuits it could be the IG1 Fuse, the IG1 Fuse 2 or the Stop lamp fuses. It could also be the Brake Pedal Switch. The solenoid is actually energized from the S7 Shift Lock Control ECU.

Check each of the three fuses listed above with a meter. Do not just look at the fuse they can be deceiving.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  5. May 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    Fuses were good by visual inspection. How to check with a meter? remove the fuse and test the fuse with a multimeter? (how exactly)

6. May 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    diemaco

diemaco Active Member

Member:
    Ontario
    ICON Stage 3 TRD CAI
    Switch it to resistance (ohm), measure across fuse, high or infinite resistance = blown fuse.

7. May 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Will give it a try tonight. Btw, is there any way to test the brake switch? Same question, how?

IF it was the brake switch or IF it was a blown fuse preventing signal to the solenoid, shouldn't the manual release button next to the shifter release the solenoid? Because even pressing that will not release the solenoid.

8. May 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    KingDavey

KingDavey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    5100s, OEM back-up cam, JVC
    check your brake lights? for the switch that is

9. May 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    KingDavey

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    My sister had an altima years ago with almost the same problem, the interlock was sticking because she spilled soda on the shifter console. It leaked down onto the solenoid causing it to stick. It was a p.i.t.a. to take it apart, but it had to be done and it was cheap to fix, I just cleaned it. You should measure the voltage going to the solenoid before replacing/cleaning just to be sure the power is getting there. Also sometimes those switches to bypass the solenoid have to be pressed hard, but i dunno about the tacoma ones...

10. May 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Fuses ohm'd ok. Even changed out with spares and no change.

Brake lights. Apparently my left rear brake light is out (or not working).

Not sure if this is related or not but since I tried taking the center console apart the other day to see if I could get at the solenoid I've been hearing a random "beep beep beep" or a solid 1/2 second "beeeep" coming from where appears to be behind the passenger side dash. (Not like a horn sounding beep but a tone)

11. May 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    KingDavey

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
  12. May 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    What is this light check tool people keep talking about? See attached pic. That's about as far as I could figure out how to break down the shifter assembly. I couldn't get anywhere near the solenoid nor the wires going to the solenoid. I can get to the white plug at the rear base of the assy but not sure how to test it.

I know! I hate everytime I have to force it but I need to drive :( I'm dreading taking the truck to the stearlership to get it fixed (for a $75 part) ... $105/hr labor :eek:

IMG_4951.JPG.jpg

13. May 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    From pictures I have seen , the solenoid should be under the black plastic shifter gate . Never worked on one of these but hundreds of GM and Hondas and all the solenoids are located at the park position under your black plastic shift gate . According to the wiring diagrams , the shift interlock ECU is located at the rear of the shifter counsole .
    I think you are plowing the way for us on this one .
    Maybe you know someone who installed Dynamatt ? they would have removed the complete shifter counsole .
    I beleive everyone is speaking about a 12 volt test light .
    http://www.ipdusa.com/newsletters/9...plug-sockets-spark-plug-socket-with-extension

Looking at your video , I beleive I can see the solenoid through the black plastic shifter gate

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  14. May 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    If anyone's interested...

As much as I love to tinker and the challenge of fixing things myself I decided to take it to the stealership and have it fixed while I was at work today. As of the end of the day the shift lock solenoid is still broke and the truck is sitting in the driveway. Basically they changed me an hour labour and told me what I already know:
    -fuses were good
    -brake switch is good
    -cable connecting the brake switch to the shifter assy is good (sending signal through).

They basically told me that the shifter assy (P/N: 33560-04020) is a sealed unit and there is no way to get in to replace the solenoid and I'd have to replace the entire thing. Estimate, $700 parts + $400 labour (~4 hrs). Needless to say I called BS and took the truck home after paying $105 for them to confirm what I already did.

With the P/N and 10 minutes on the internet I found a complete used shifter assy with no damage and 6 month warranty from a wrecker yard in CA. Shipped to the house, $65.

As I figure it... disassemble center console (1/2hr max), 4 bolts to remove the shifter assy + 2 plugs to disconnect. Swap, reconnect. Should be 2 hrs max and a hell of a lot cheaper!

What really rots me when I dropped off the truck this morning and told them what I checked (switch + fuses) they looked at me like I was stupid. I know they have a trouble shooting procedure to do but when I picked the truck up and grilled the Toyota Service guy they looked at me like I was an idiot. When I started asking questions on how they came to the conclusion of the solenoid being defective/broke they said it was just process of elimination testing everything up to the ECU plug and just assumed it has to be the solenoid w/o even looking at it. They do sell individual parts inside the housing assy (including the solenoid) so I know it can be disassembled but they just assumed I'd buy the whole thing. Thank you no... I'll try it myself and 9/10 the cost cheaper. (my rant for now).

I'll keep y'all posted.

15. May 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
  16. May 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    So the shifter assy came in today from the wrecker. $65 fully shipped vs. $700 from Toyota. It appears to be fully functional and looks brand new. I

'm going to attempt to change it out tomorrow but when I do I need to unhook the shifter cable from the linkage in the assy... does anyone know how much tension is on that cable? When I unhook it I'm worried its going to pull the cable down into the sheath (towards the transmission) and I won't be able to get it pulled out enough to re-connect it. Thoughts anyone?

IMG_5021.JPG.jpg

17. May 20, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Hey Christopher . Got your PM and replied to it . No tension on the cable . Leave the transmission in park with the key removed when you do the swap . If you are on a hill , block the tires to keep the truck from rolling when you are working on it .

18. May 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    cdn_bacon

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    DONE !!!

Tackled the shifter assy. change out tonight. Not knowing what I was doing other than watching some youtube videos on how to disassemble the center console and getting advice from my fellow Tacoma board members.... it took me all of 30 minutes.

How? Removed the rear portion of the center console (2 bolts x 10mm). Removed the rest of the center console (4 screws and pop it off). Disconnect the (2) electrical cable plugs (one on the drivers side and one at the rear of the assy). disconnect the shifter cable link from the shifter (just pops off). Unbolt the shifter assy. from the frame (4 bolts - 12mm). Lift and remove.Reverse instructions to install the new assy.

Started the truck up, pressed on the brake and shifted as it was suppose to which confirmed mine suspicions (and the dealership) that the park lock solenoid was shot. Tested the park override button next to the shifter and it worked as it was suppose to (my original unit ... it didn't work). Oddly enough... I had assumed from looking at the OEM parts catalogue that you could change the lock solenoid but looking at the assy... it is sealed and it would a b*tch to get it out if you possible.

Total time: 30 minutes.
    Total Cost: $65
    Toyota Dealership Estimate:
    Time: 4hrs x $105/hr = $420
    Cost (Part): $700
    Total: $1120
    Total Savings: $1,055

Thanks for the help people.

IMG_5023.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5024.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5025.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5026.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5027.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5029.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5030.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5031.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5032.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5033.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5036.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5037.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5041.JPG.jpg

wmchenry02 likes this.
  19. May 21, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Good on you! Glad you got it fixed for cheap. I hate it when they make shit where you cannot repair it ( solenoid ). However 65$ for the shifter is about what it would cost for a new solenoid.

20. May 22, 2014 at 2:26 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    :bananadance:Thanks for plowing the way for us on this one !!!
    Archiving the post so if the issue comes up for anyone else , we can simply link to it .
    Awesome job

Products Discussed in

To Top