Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

About to buy HeatShield sunshades-front and sides, Objections?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
About to buy HeatShield sunshades-front and sides, Objections?

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/sun_...re_runner/2007

About to pull the trigger and get these, it's 40 per or 70 for two, I'm getting front and side shields, I figured the back window can handle itself.

Anyone have any objections? I haven't read much on here about sun shields but I think this is the best I've found.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
car78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

car78412's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck is in the Texas sun for most of the day, it's not a bad idea. Not only will you keep the interior cooler, but you will save your interior from the damaging UV rays. If your side and rear windows are tinted, they are not necessary at those locations.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
No experience with that brand, as I have only used the cheap ones. But I will say that they do make a world of difference imo. I have used one for the past couple years and will continue too!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Very happy with mine. Fits the front window of my '13 very well and is effective in our Texas summer heat. Highly recommend. Don't have the side window shades. If you can park facing west, you'll get good shade coverage.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Link doesn't work but Here is the link to the site. You have to manually put in you're vehicle info.

I use the one's for the front that fold up into a round shape and it fits under my seat perfectly. I like how these look but my main issue with them is where to store them when not in use. I hate clutter in my truck and I doubt these fold up in a small package. Not sure I would get the side's since my windows are tinted but I use the front religiously.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by car78412 View Post
If your truck is in the Texas sun for most of the day, it's not a bad idea. Not only will you keep the interior cooler, but you will save your interior from the damaging UV rays. If your side and rear windows are tinted, they are not necessary at those locations.
My rear sides are tinted but my front sides are clearly visible, so that's why I opt for the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
No experience with that brand, as I have only used the cheap ones. But I will say that they do make a world of difference imo. I have used one for the past couple years and will continue too!
I've been using a $6 one for years as well! I'll shove that one in the back window if I even still keep it. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindifferent View Post
Very happy with mine. Fits the front window of my '13 very well and is effective in our Texas summer heat. Highly recommend. Don't have the side window shades. If you can park facing west, you'll get good shade coverage.
Wouldn't the best option be to park east? If the sun rises that way, wouldn't you want all the reflection on that side as opposed to it going through your (heavily tinted) back window? That way when the sun actually gets to the backside of your car (when it is setting) it's not so hot. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
Link doesn't work but Here is the link to the site. You have to manually put in you're vehicle info.

I use the one's for the front that fold up into a round shape and it fits under my seat perfectly. I like how these look but my main issue with them is where to store them when not in use. I hate clutter in my truck and I doubt these fold up in a small package. Not sure I would get the side's since my windows are tinted but I use the front religiously.
You're right about the storage, hopefully they aren't too much of a bother.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #7

Got the Heat Shields in the other day! Scared me, thought I was about to have to pay an extra $35 for another side set

Fitment:

Not perfect as you can see but will get the job done! Of course as soon as I get them we have a week of rain, so on the next sunny day I'll let you know how well they worked vs my generic shade.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #8
car78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

car78412's Tacoma Gallery
The front sun visors secure the front heat shield. How are the side heat shields secured?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
The windshield fitment looks good. Can't really tell about the side windows. What is the last photo?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by car78412 View Post
The front sun visors secure the front heat shield. How are the side heat shields secured?
Actually, it is strong enough to hold itself up without them. The visors don't really make a difference, but incase it decides to fall halfway through the day/out of habit I put the visors down. Also it's in the instructions to do it that way.

As for the sides, they just kind of stay there//. Lol no it has I think 6 suction cups. If you put them on right you can slam the door and it will stay.

Quote:
The windshield fitment looks good. Can't really tell about the side windows. What is the last photo?
I am at work and for some reason can't see images but from memory I assume it is where the top of the heatshield meets the ceiling of my cab, near the rearview and visor. It is slightly larger than the windshield.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Here's what mine looks like.

About to buy HeatShield sunshades-front and sides, Objections?-hs1.jpg

About to buy HeatShield sunshades-front and sides, Objections?-hs2.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #12

The first picture looks flush; the second looks overlapping? Mine overlap about an inch. How could there possibly be a difference? BTW, does it pay for itself in your opinion? Noticeably cooler? I won't know 'til we see the sun
Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
The first picture looks flush; the second looks overlapping? Mine overlap about an inch. How could there possibly be a difference? BTW, does it pay for itself in your opinion? Noticeably cooler? I won't know 'til we see the sun
Both sides overlap about an inch above the glass at the top of the windshield. I think this is intentional to allow the visors to better hold it in place. The sides fit almost perfectly along the windshield glass.

I do think it is worth it. The interior is cooler and the steering wheel is substantially cooler. I'd also like to think that the dash will last longer.

Your setup is even better with the side windows covered.

Only downside is the rollup. You have to roll the large windshield shade up fairly tightly to get the velcro strap to reach.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Both sides overlap about an inch above the glass at the top of the windshield. I think this is intentional to allow the visors to better hold it in place. The sides fit almost perfectly along the windshield glass.

I do think it is worth it. The interior is cooler and the steering wheel is substantially cooler. I'd also like to think that the dash will last longer.

Your setup is even better with the side windows covered.

Only downside is the rollup. You have to roll the large windshield shade up fairly tightly to get the velcro strap to reach.
Really? I felt like my strap was pretty long, I don't have to roll it up very tight. Maybe it's a problem they addressed since then.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Now that you've had them a few days, do you think they are worth it?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #16

Hey- I am really sorry that I have not gotten back to this to post my experience, I kept meaning to and just never got around to it... Bad habit

Anyway-YES I would definitely recommend them and almost wish I would have gotten the rear one too! The extra $35 wouldn't have bothered me near as much as putting that thing up behind the headrests everyday behind an already tinted window. The truck is MUCH lower temperature when I get in now. Still hot, don't get me wrong, but it isn't that stuffy hot where you feel like you're in an oven. Me working at a chemical plant, I can't crack my windows either- so when I go back to school in the fall I'll see an even bigger difference!

Concerns: The front sags a little instead of holding flush against the windshield. An easy fix would be to put the suction cups on the windshield shade just like the sides have... I may very well do that. Another option is to put long, thin, vertical strips of wood/cardboard spaced apart along the inside of the shade. This would keep it from sagging and would not affect its ability to roll up.

There is another way to fix it-shove towels on your console and push the shade up, but because you can't hold ALL of it up that created more creases-horizontal creases. I noticed wherever you fold the shade, the CREASES, the inside material of the shade that blocks the sun moves from that spot and bunches elsewhere. This causes you to be able to see light through the creases. This does not affect the amount of heat I don't think but if I were to buy these new again I would have done one of the fixes I mentioned above before ever using it.

The sides are great too, fit perfectly, but be careful not to put the suction cups on the window before you are sure that it is aligned perfectly. If you do, you may come back to your truck and notice you left it "loose" or not spread out all the way and caused it to come off the window. That part is hard to explain.
Great product, definitely worth the money IMO. Don't buy gold version, it offers no difference and is just for looks... And I like silver better anyway. But if you do buy gold use my code for 10% of: GOLD25

Again I am really sorry you had to come post in here before I posted a review.

EDIT:

I definitely wish I had done the rearview mirror relocating mod before putting this shade up. That would prevent you from having to fold the middle corners down to get it behind the mirror- but then again maybe that is what holds it up. However if you never had any intention of the relocate mod don't worry about it. I plan to do it and I think it should have been done first.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the review
Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #18

No problem!!! let me know if you do any of my suggestions!