1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best truck buying experience ever

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Goosedog, May 15, 2014.

1. May 15, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    Goosedog

Goosedog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here's props to you fine folks at TW and the little truck known as the Taco. After buying a used '06 SR5 4cyl last year, I discovered not only some parts for sale here but all kinds of good advice and idea's for mods. So yesterday, after more positive advice over the last week here at TW, I pulled the trigger on a trade to a newer Taco and could not be more pleased.

First of all the transaction. I found a car lot in Knoxville Tenessee that calls itself more a vehicle locator service than a dealership or a garage. I saw an ad they had on Craigslist trying to sell a Tacoma they found for a customer that never picked it up. It's an '09 Access Cab Sport 4x4 6sp manual 4.0L in silver, exactly what I wanted. The price was a little high but later I discovered their search for that truck led them to a Toyota dealership in Ohio that had it for sale as a CPO (certified pre owned) and of course they added to that figure. But they did come down on their price after negotiating on the phone and much better than that agreed to my requests from their garage.

They have a full service shop at their lot with 2 or 3 ASE certified mechanics. I got lucky and their head guy was an ex-Toyota tech, who helped carry out my requests.

When I agreed to their price I said here's what I want from you, my wheel-set and suspension is only a few months old and I don't want to buy all that again for my new truck. So they agreed to swap out my Bilstien 5100's, the entire rear leafs with the AAL's and the wheels/ tires of course. All this was agreed to after we settled on a price so they didn't build it in, they did it as a courtesy. It took two mech 4hrs to do the swap and they even let me assist.

Secondly the truck. I was disappointed with my 4cyl as soon as I loaded it with my tools, I am a cabinet maker and carry a bunch of shit to the jobsite. It was a manual also but a complete dog on the highway, no guts at all with a load. Add to that, my milage was no better than you 6cyl guys were getting. It was pretty early on in Tacoma ownership I started to regret my first purchase. Everything else about the truck was awesome, I just needed more ponies. And now I got it, this 4.0L rocks, holy crap what a combination of power and gearbox. Plus now I have the comforts of the Sport model with the suspension for off-road. I am beyond satisfied, what a great experience and awesome truck.

IMG_0362_8921ffafddee50f9949315c5706afdf91e7f1c97.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. May 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    Willie B

Willie B Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lilburn, GA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport Access 4x2
    Sounds like you did good all the way around.

3. May 15, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    babelt

babelt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    TN
    5100's all around. Front's set at 1.75" 265/75/16 Duratracs.
    Cool deal. Do you mind to post the name of the place you bought it from? I'm in east tn and it's always nice to have some options that you know are good when looking for a vehicle.

4. May 15, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Nice! :thumbsup:

5. May 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    Goosedog

Goosedog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PALS Personal Auto Locator Service in Knoxville. Talk to Joseph, great guy! :)

6. May 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    Nice work OP. Slick lookin ride :cool:

7. May 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Oooh, nice color bud!

Products Discussed in