1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cost of New Complete Paint Job?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RebelTele357, May 18, 2014.

1. May 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    zmw

zmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    2014 TXproBAJA
    none
    No where in that kit does it suggest it's enough material for 6 coats

I never negated the COST savings over traditional paint - but be fair about the cost comparison - if you have the ability to paint your car yourself you can do it for 500$ also and do it nicely. There is a significant amount of labor involved in dipping your car, hell there is a significant amount of labor involved in dipping your WHEELS if you do it properly - I would guess if you pay someone to do it for you, you're into it for thousands plus the material... The labor will be about 50% of the labor involved in a true paint since there should be no sanding involved, but to do it right you still need to remove door handles, lights, mirrors, bumpers...

This is an apples to oranges comparison, 500$ of dip is not much easier to deal with than 500$ worth of paint, other than the "you can't f' it up too badly" factor.

2. May 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Why would you remove the lights/bumper? It just peels off lol...

Do you have any idea how much it takes to actually paint a car the normal way? You have to remove all the doors, remove the glass, then take off the interior panels, pop out the head lights, remove the bumpers all before you even think about starting to prep the panels. The prep work takes a shit load of time because there are multiple stages of sanding that have to be done or you get ugly ass pinholes and all kinds of other shit. Then you need to actually paint it. It will cost you a hell of a lot more than $500 for the paint too. Turning the booth on costs $50 alone.

I work in a body shop fixing paint imperfections from people who have been painting cars since before I was born so it will look like ass too.

Compare that to this.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684511
    Someone with no experience painting cars and it looks fantastic.

Clear Coat is usually only 1.5-2mm thick so your overestimating how much you need to do all the layers.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. May 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    I'm trying not to give you the "deal with it" answer here, but most of us had a junker to some degree or another for our first car or 3 and we all wanted them to look good anyway. And most of us realized 5-10 years down the road that it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The amount of time and money it takes to make a beat up old (non-classic) vehicle look like a brand new one just isn't worth it, especially when you're just starting out and funds are short. Put that money somewhere useful. I just got a new truck after having old beaters my whole life and I must say it's pretty awesome. But I don't regret that I held off this long for one second.

Now, I'm not saying a 2007 Tacoma is a junker, far from it. But it's not and will never be a new car and the sooner you accept that the happier you'll be. Take good care of it, enjoy it for what it is, and it will take you far.

4. May 20, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Pretty good answer for ya right there...

Like others though, I would suggest plasti-dip. I've been considering it because I'm not a huge fan of black as it shows every imperfection and I have quite a lot of them...

5. May 20, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I feel you on the black truck with lot's of scratches. :eek:

I polish my truck up really nice, enjoy it for a week or two and then go off roading and ruin it all over again haha

6. May 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    I know, I know! I do the same. I just actually polished it up and it got hit by the sprinkler today. Love me some water spots :rolleyes:

7. May 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Those bickering over numbers for plastidip, I have actually priced it out. The truck kit is enough to do a full size truck. You could get a good 4-5 layers out of those dip your car kits. Once you have the kit with the sprayer, you could simply buy a gallon or two(relatively inexpensive) and do touchups or whatever. There are places around here that will dip your entire truck for $400, which is 5 layers. The dip really isn't that expensive, it's the gun to spray it. It's not the same stuff as the aerosol can; it's thinner, so it costs less.

You don't have to remove bumpers, headlights, or even door handles. Just spray over headlights and just peel it off...I would mask off trim, windows, grill, and wheels.

8. May 21, 2014 at 1:24 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    http://monstaliner.com/

DIY kits, guaranteed not to fade for 5 years, won't chip from small rocks like regular paint, and won't peel off like plastidip.

Products Discussed in

To Top