Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fixed a problem with a flame thrower, angle grinder, and a sledge hammer!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed a problem with a flame thrower, angle grinder, and a sledge hammer!

So to start with a little background on why i built this skid plate. When I went to buy my 09 dcor I was disturbed to see that the lowest part of the truck is the exhaust crossover that is routed under the transfer case. This has to be one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while. I got the truck anyway because I figured one little flaw was ok. After a few wheeling trips into the mountains I noticed the exhaust tubing was a little flatter than it had been when i got the truck and had some good divits in it. That meant it was time to get a skid plate. Well since I don't have $400 for a allpro skid I decided to build my own.

From Skid Plate_1

The only tools I had down at school with me were a flame thrower for killing weeds, a $10 Angle grinder from harbor freight, a mini sledge hammer, and basic hand tools. Oh yeah and a jack that can't actually get my truck off the ground with out 4 in of wood under it. I figured what the hell i would try anyway.

So to start I went to a used building supply place and picked up 18" of 4.5" 1/8" walled steel pipe for $5.

Since I didn't have a vice big enough to hold the pipe i put a 2x2 through the pipe and screwed the 2x2 to a piece of mdf.

My plan was to mount one side of the pipe to the frame next to the exhaust pipe and the other side of the pipe to the same place the transfer case skid plate attaches. I know this second location might put undue stress on the transfer case if i drop the truck on it but it will work until i can get home to a welder and some real metal.

I started by cutting a 2" chunk out of the pipe and from there started trimming the pipe to fit under the truck. Sadly I was working alone so I didn't have anybody to take pictures of this step.

After all the cutting was down I used the flame thrower to heat the metal and then the sledge to bend the tabs so they would mount flush to the frame.

From Skid Plate_1
I then used some of the left over metal to make straps to mount to the transfer case skid. After I did a test fit i took everything off and painted them all with KBS coatings rust converter. I had some of the paint sitting around from coating my fiance's jeep and figured why not use it. KBS claims it will bond to the metal and never come off. We will see.

Just a note about the coating. Don't let it get on your skin. i don't care what you do it will not come off. last time I used it I made that mistake and had black splotches all over my arm for 2 weeks.

After letting the paint dry overnight I used some grade eight 3/8" bolts to put everything together.

The clearance on the exhaust pipe is about 1/8-1/16 of an inch, and the clearance from the ground to the skid plate is 8.5".

All together I am happy with it for the tools I had. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but hopefully will sometime this week.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Project bro. I like it--Creative.. Rep coming your way
Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Well Done!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
very nice, it looks like i have something else on the to do list for this summer. let us know how it holds up on the trails
Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully it won't hurt your transfer case! Looks good though man, better than I could do.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the support guys! Always glad other people enjoy this stuff as much as I do!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
Janks is on a distinguished road
Janks's Tacoma Gallery
Great work man.. Theres a Canadian Band who does a tune called "Makeshift As We Are". Great tune that completely describes How we (man) do these things.

Good Job

Jim
Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #11

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
That would be ideal but i definitely don't have that skill nor the money to get it done. A nice lift would also help with the problem but alas I have to wait til after I pay off my wedding and my soon to be wife's school loans.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #13

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
So I have an update. over the last couple days since I put on the skid plate i notice alot of vibration in the cab when i was idleing. It was to the point were even my seat was vibrating and the glove box was rattling. Since it started right after I finished she skid plat I figured that is the first place to check before letting Toyota deal with it. So I took off the straps that connect the skid to the transfercase and all of the sudden the vibrations are gone. I did alittle looking and it appears all the mounts for the tranny and t-case have dampeners on them. So for now I will leave the straps off until i figure out a different way to mount them, or a way to dampen them. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Good to hear you didn't get any on your hootus.
I thought about that while reading this
Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well I had to look up "hootus" to see what that meant. What a hilarious story that was. Now I'm glad you didn't get any on hootus either.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats the first thing I thought of when he said it won't come off.

Nice DIY project!!!