1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited Service Campaign for Corrosive Resistant Compound

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jdvailco, May 20, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    hoodboogie

hoodboogie Plazma Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Smiths Station, AL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDOR MGM
    Icon stage 3 + Delta joints Dakar leafs Method NV wheels 16" BFG KO2 285/75 Cab mount chop K&N drop in air filter K&N cabin filter Alpine X208U head unit JL Audio Slash 300/4 JL Audio Slash 600/1 Focal KRX2 components in front doors Focal RCX-165 in rear doors Alpine SWR-T12 sub Box/amp rack is fiberglassed on the back and molded to perfectly fit the cab. Leer 100R Decked drawer system Prinsu Cabrac and Toprac Husky Floor Liners ARB 50qt Fridge
    VA has not been approved yet. Read through this post and there's lots of good info. I went ahead and had my truck inspected at stafford toyota and they said it failed. So now we play the waiting game.

2. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I wish the dealer wouldn't have gotten enough overspray on the exhaust manifold, cat, and muffler to turn them black. It smells horrid, almost like burning tires. I drove for 45 minutes this morning and every time I stopped I had smoke rising from the whole right side of the truck. It's in my clothes, the interior... ack. Four hours later I can still smell it in my living room.

My truck has evolved into the prince of stench

Is this crud gonna catch fire on me?

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    tacoholic05

tacoholic05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    I am going to do a drive by at my local dealer this week and see if I can see any old frames or new frames for that matter.

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Mine had smoke coming out from underneath on the drive home too. I parked it outside in the driveway and haven't driven it since getting it back last Wednesday. Checked it yesterday and the frame is still very sticky. All the pine needles that kicked up from the driveway when I got home are stuck to it. Anyone know how long it takes for this crap to dry? Sure glad I waited to put shocks in it....

5. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    It doesn't.

6. Oct 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Back at the dealer right now. They're taking care of the overspray on all the rims and rear bumper. Not sure if they're willing to deal with the belt that was ruined. It was new, less than a thousand miles, but it was a dayco and not OEM so I dunno.

Doggone fumes... after my half hour drive to work I was really trippin'. Holy balls. I was falling down, tipping over, heck I even all-out hallucinated a couple times. Wicked stuff!

7. Oct 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Sounds like all the makings of a lawsuit. I would think they would be bending over backwards for you. Press them on the belt, they are responsible for it! Belts aren't that expensive and easy to replace:thumbsup:

8. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Well that got my blood pressure up

No dice on the belt
    Dont worry about the overspray inside the alternator
    They're not going to do anything with the overspray on the rims, or the softball-sized patch of goo they got on my rear bumper
    Let the manifold burn it off
    Ran through car wash, here's your keys, get out

Then I almost hit a deer

I miss my Honda on days like this. A lot.

9. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Go see your Dr. about the health affects, take a bunch of pics, then it's off to find a lawyer, shouldn't be too hard to find one to take this one on. Good luck!

10. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    I'd talk to the service manager and if no dice ask him to spell his name and that of the Service guy and tell him you are going to corp with the damage to your vehicle .... Then do it, ,,,

11. Oct 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Well I just finished, 5 minutes with goo-gone and I got the wheels, overfenders, and bumper cleaned up.

I told the guy working service that I didn't mind cleaning it up, as it's not hard to do, but I wanted them aware that the company they're contracting out to made quite a mess and they probably didn't want other customers getting the same results. I never acted upset, implied negligence on their part, or raised my voice in any way. He offered to clean the gunk off where it wasn't supposed to be, which I was glad to hear (he said they were supposed to do that the first time) -- and didn't do it. I wasted an hour at the dealer for a car wash on a rainy day. I believe that's grounds to be upset.

I need to find another belt that's NOT a Dayco. I'm not giving that dealer $119 for a belt after this. Someone has to make a belt for this truck that's not too long for the application.

Overspray in question... they all looked like this, although the rear two were worse than the fronts.

[​IMG]

In case y'all missed my pictures in another thread, here's a few

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manifold heat shield with goo on left. Belt was off at this point; silver-colored ribs behind A-arm on right is alternator pulley, with alternator body covered in goo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't see it in these pics, but they coated most of the underside of the bed as well, minus where the spare tire sits.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  12. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Before I forget to ask the question: since they covered the rear diff in this stuff, is it going to run much hotter than normal? How well does this stuff conduct heat out?

If I'm looking at frying a set of gears the first time I have a trailer behind me, that would suck. If not, then at least I don't have the rust showing on there.

13. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    I would not worry about the gears. And at least they did not skimp!!!!!!

Question - who did this and what did they used. I'm assuming what ever this is Toyota is approving it's use ??

14. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    It was supposed to be this Toyota campaign. I got the letter in the mail, I went to the dealer, they inspected the frame, they ordered the stuff, scheduled the 3 days where they gave me a no-cost loaner vehicle, and I picked up my truck when they said they were ready.

I don't know who exactly did the work. The truck had about 25 miles put on it between the day I dropped it off and the day I picked it up.

I wish I could find the instruction sheet Toyota gives the dealers. I remember seeing one where it mentioned where to spray the frame with one kind of protectant, then where to spray inside the boxed section with another kind, but I don't remember if that was for 1st gen or 2nd gen.

I'm surprised they didn't put a sticker on the door jamb saying "this vehicle's payload has been reduced by 147 lbs due to rust sealant" or some nonsense. They really used a lot. I could probably drive to Japan before seeing rust on the frame now.

15. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Is this stuff dry?

16. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM
    UrPebkac

UrPebkac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC SIERRA
    Jason,
    I got mine back Thursday and it is still wet. The cool nights has helped so it is just tacky. Not gooie.

17. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    It's about the same consistency as lithium grease. Maybe more liquid than that. Nothing dry about it. Supposedly the mystery goo is never supposed to really dry; just feel dry with a light touch after a while. The flash from the camera is deceiving -- the stuff is jet black.

If I start seeing dirt sticking in those ball joint boots I'm pulling the tires off and going to town with some rubber-friendly solvent, if I can find such a thing.

18. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I don't want a mess of goo if I need to do some work under there. I still need to check out the coating Nick (nickonfire700) got.

19. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    UrPebkac

UrPebkac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC SIERRA
    It will be mostly dry in a month. I will get an identical pic to iroh

I requested they covers my coilovers and skids. Below is what I got. It is behind my coilovers in the bucket.
    Edit added pic..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  20. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    smithe68

smithe68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Right in the first post with the Limited Service Campaign document attached, VA is on there. "This campaign covers vehicles currently registered in CT DE IL IN KY MA MD ME MI MN NH NJ NY OH PA RI VA VT WI WV & D.C."

The part I hate about this is, it says currently registered, which my truck is no in VA, even though it spent it's first 98k in VA. I am going to talk to my dealer and see if I have any options to get it inspected and taken care of if needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top