1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonno Pro Lo Roll Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kc123, May 21, 2014.

1. May 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    kc123

kc123 [OP] Member

Member:
    I just installed a Tonno Pro LoRoll in my 2014 Tacoma TRD. Mankind what a bear !! They say it's a 20 minute install in the instructional video. BULL !!...heh. It is an okay cover and looks nice, but installing it is tricky. They have these "Relief cuts" in the side rails which they say are necessary for the Tacoma, and I do not see why. There is an upward bend in the rails where they are cut and they cause an enormous headache when trying to tight the rails down so they seal properly. I called Customer Service which was really good by the way, and the guy said it was supposed to be like that. I do not see why. There are no bends that I see that need accommodating. After you get everything adjusted and tightened down, all around the front and sides looks like it seals good and would hold off a good downpour but where the tailgate closes, there are small gaps. I can see where rain could get in. They do supply some SureSeal strips. Plenty of it actually so I am sure with some putting it here and there I can fix that minor problem. All in all it looks nice but be prepared to spend a few hours installing it inless you luck up and fit it exactly right the first time. :D

2. Sep 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM
    markymark

markymark Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    I just bought this cover, and wasn't able to install. The relief cuts are to allow the brackets for the utility rail to not interfere with the rails sitting flush. My problem is that the holes on the rails to attach to the brackets do not align with the relief cuts, so the rails interfere with the brackets.

Plus, I have no idea where to put the thicker seal strip? The instructions suck, and I also cannot tell how far back to position the rails for a good fit at both ends.

Do you have the utility rails? By the way, my rails have that stupid upward bend also.

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    markymark

markymark Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    I figured it out. It looks pretty good once installed. The relief cuts are so you can use your cleats with the utility rails. I was wrong about them having to align with the drilled holes in the rails.

Also, the "bend" seems to work together with those slits where the plastic edge protector goes to handle the tension when locking down the cover. The bend straightens because of those slits...
    Anyway, I like this cover now that I took my head out of the hole!

4. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    :worthless:

I forget how long mine took me to install mine, an hour sounds about right tho. I'm very happy with it and my fly fishing gear stays dry in rainy weather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Nov 19, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    badmotorfinger

badmotorfinger Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Indigo Ink DCLB SR5
    Billy 5100s on all 4 corners + bags in the back.
    Any issues after a couple years of wear and tear? Thinking about buying this cover.

6. Mar 3, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    Mjordan

Mjordan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White DCSB 4WD TRD Offroad
    TRD Beadlock Wheels, Bilstein 5100s all around, BFG K02 265/75R16, 20% tint, WeatherTech Floormats, LED Interior Lights, Tailgate lock, Salex Organizers, Shorty 5" Antenna, LED license plate lights
    Just bought one and me and a buddy tried to install it on my 2015 yesterday evening. Man what a PITA it is! We had to give up after about 3 hours it got too dark and cold. And we're both pretty handy, we just installed 5100s and rear blocks on his Taco so it's not a matter of us being dumb lol. There's a thick rubber seal that they recommend taking off if you have plastic bed caps (which our trucks do), and there's no way to install the rails if you leave the rubber seal on. The problem is when you take it off, there's goes all of the water blocking abilities! There's gap big enough that a penny could slide under so I'm gonna have to order some extra weather stripping to fill that gap. Also the rails are stick straight, but our truck beds have a curve for the last 8" near the tailgate so that creates a problem too.

This is my first bed cover so I'm not sure how other low profile roll-ups compare, but I'm not impressed at all with the installation aspect so far.

7. Nov 5, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    JC_11

JC_11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD
    I just installed the Tonno Pro Lo-Roll Tonneau Cover for my 2015 Tacoma 6' bed. The installation was not difficult. I think it took an hr. But I spent 2 hrs looking for this thread and others. I was also concerned because they want you to take the weather strip/rubber seal off the side if you have plastic bed liner. I installed with the weather strip/rubber seal still intact and did not remove as recommended. I was concerned the bolts to the cover assembly would not line up with side rails because the weather strip would make the rails too narrow. I installed side rail, but did not tighten the clamps in the cargo rail. I was able to get the bolts for the cover assembly into the rails by forcing the rail up against the side of the bed. I had my dad help with that part and the extra set of hands made it pretty easy. Then went back and tightened down the clamp while forcing the rail down so the weather strip made better contact with the plastic bed liner. The weather strip held out the water when I poured small cup of water over the connection. I don't see anyway this would be water tight if you take the weather strip off. I still have a few places at the corners to add some weather strips, but I think it will be able to keep it pretty dry.

8. Apr 17, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    I just this cover and its a POS.instructions suck . And im very mechanically inclined First problem I had was removing the old bed rails because it was existing tonneau cover on it and some of the weld nits were seized the “L” brackets do not line up with pre drilled holes. Im already on 4 hours on the install. Working on it a couple hours after work. I hope it looks good when its done . I wouldn’t recommend this cover at all

Products Discussed in

To Top