1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway bar info: Good or Bad? Lifesaving or off-road limiting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mademan925, May 22, 2014.

?

Sway bars?

1. I removed it and Im much happier

54.4%
  2. I want to remove it when I get new coils

21.9%
  3. I had it removed and put it back on

8.8%
  4. Removing it is dangerous. Its not worth it.

21.3%
  1. Jul 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    Took mine off and left it off when I completed my lift. Rides great with the 885's. You can tell from the start but after driving for a few weeks you don't really notice it anymore. I notice my damn MPG though now that I have 285 70's on!!

2. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    I've been thinking about removing mine. So after reading everything, there's two different opinions, but is it really that bad without it?

It sounds like if you take it off and you do a quick maneuver at speed you will roll into a fiery death. I raced a spec Honda hatchback without sway bars and it drove just fine on the track.

So with aftermarket springs and shocks (I have OME with 885's) you won't notice much of a difference?

I'm confused... :confused:

3. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 [OP] Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    You will feel more body roll. It doesnt feel dangerous. I drove slow right after I took it off. I am starting to go faster. As long as its not a sharp turn at a high speed you should be fine. If your not wheeling alot then its probably not worth taking it off.

4. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    Apples and Dinosaurs.

Your hatchback had a low center of gravity with less travel in the suspension, your Tacoma has more. Now, even with a swaybar, cutting the wheel hard will roll a Tacoma under the right conditions. With a suspension upgrade, especially with stiffer coils, the added spring rate will resist the body roll almost as good as a swaybar. The advantage to not having a swaybar is that each wheel can fully cycle independently. This is a major advantage off-road.

If you never or hardly ever see dirt or rocks, there isn't much of an advantage to remove the swaybar. If you do go on the trails, there is a definite advantage to removing the swaybar.

5. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    It's no more body roll than a jeep/truck/car with worn out suspension parts, less in fact. I've got other than stock coilovers and only at first when testing with a back and forth (racing wheel scrub style) noticed barely/slightly more body roll; daily driving, I feel it rides a little better on rough roads. You will not die a fiery death, if you don't like it, put it back on, or never take it off. You won't really know until you try it, and I would guess one may never put it back on but to sell/trade the truck for another Tacoma.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    I totally understand they are different beasts, but even on the track where 90% of the driving is hard turns I didn't notice body roll.

But, back to the truck I've been debating taking the sway bar off because while I don't wheel hardcore, I go on roads and places that a truck is needed. I work in vineyards and drive the truck where mostly tractors go, and I have driven enough wash board roads that my doors feel like are not closed all the way on normal roads.

I just want to minimizes the side to side jerking I get now, but I don't want to potentially make a dangerous situation on highways. I just can't gauge what really happens because the opinions are so different. I guess there's only one way to find out.

7. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    If your offroading consists of cruising around a vineyard leave it on, it's not worth taking off.

8. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    I wouldn't quite say it's a cruise, but I'll take you're word for it.

Nice truck by the way!

9. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    While you're baja'n around the vineyard... better? :D

and thanks!

10. Jul 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    Pdugan6

Pdugan6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    3 link solid axle 2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Took mine off. I love it. After a day you become used to the difference.

11. Jul 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    Get adjustable shocks. My Icons with the CDCV handled the no sway bar perfectly.

12. Jul 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM
    tacodane

tacodane The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Led Interior Lights AFE CAI Stage II, Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler Snugtop Cab-Hi shell TRS Retrofitted Headlights
    what are the pros and cons of removing the sway bar. currently have ome lift with 885 coils and all pro leafs

13. Jul 9, 2014 at 2:10 AM
    MH 60Tacoma

MH 60Tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Sitka
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    3M Clear Bra Wrap Entire Truck including roof, FJ TRD 16x7.5" Alloy Wheels (Set of 5 - Full Size Spare), Icon 2.5" Extended Travel w/ Reservoir Coil Overs , All Pro Upper Control Arm, 235/85 (32") Cooper ST Maxx Tires , All Pro APEX Sliders, Icon 2.5" w/ Reservoir Rear Shocks, SS Braded Brake Lines, Deaver Cusom Leaf Pack, Custom Rear Bumper w/ wrap around, AirFlow Snorkel, All Pro APEX Winch Bumper, Mesh Grille, 30" LED spot/floor Light bar, Piaa 510 Fog Lights, Warn Xeon 10S Winch - Viking Thimble, Hawse Fairlead, Rope Protector, ARB MA12 Air Compress w/ Hard Mount & Tire Fill Kit, DieHard Platinum 31M, All Pro IFS Skid, All Pro Transmission Skid, All Pro Exhast/Tcase Skid, Diff Armor, Six States CV Rear Driveline, I'm probably missing some.
    Took mine off and I haven't ever thought about putting it back on. Just don't drive like a dummy and your good to go!

14. Sep 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 [OP] Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    :thumbsup:

15. Sep 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
    I pulled mine off today. I'm on the stock sport suspension for now, and I love the way it feels. I'm going to "Big Dogs" in a week and 1/2. I have no lockers, so I need all the traction possible. After 1 1/2 weeks normal driving, a 6 hr each way road trip, and some off-roading at Big Dogs I'll make a final decision on whether or not I will put it back on.

I'm sure it will stay off.

16. Sep 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    I took mine off over a week ago to see how it handled for an upcoming off road trip.

I am unarmored with 885s in front, and an AAL in back. I do close to 90/10 street-highway/offroad

Pros:
    Great for cruising the street in the city of Houston. Especially when we have a pothole of the week. I no longer get jerked around when one tire hits the hole. Granted the speeds are around 30mph, it feels much better. And it even handles better than my girlfriend's TJ even with her swaybar on.

Offroading it was great. It handled the obstacles I took fairly well. Al tires were able to make contact, and there wasn't a lot of spin.

Cons:
    Sharp turns at high speeds never was your friend to begin with. Especially in a truck with a high center of gravity. And it especially isn't when you take the sway bar off.

Summary:
    I liked it, you may not. If you like to swang and bang, this is not the route to go. But I know I'll be one of those owners that has their sway bar rusting in the corner of a garage.

17. Sep 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    My 2014 Dcsb is pretty bad at high speed/hard brakes/swerve when there's a deer. It's completely stock. The front corner hit the bump stop. I decided the sway bar doesn't do all that much anyway haha.

18. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    been 2 + weeks with mine off.

Again, Stock TRD OR coils with 5100's set at 1.75, wheelers 2in AAL on a 3+1 stock leaf pack and OME N182 shocks in the rear.

The sway bar is never going to go back on so long as i own the truck. It drives so much nicer, you dont feel all the bitty bumps in the road, going over speed bumps at an angle yeilds them almost not felt at all, same goes for entering driveways etc where the whole truck would of normally gotten thrown back n forth, now its like yeah ok, so there was a bump.

Yes there is more body roll.... but even being VERY AGRESSIVE (parking lot / industrial area quick lane changes at 50+ mph tests yanking the wheel like an idiot) it wasnt like OH GOD its going to roll...

19. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD OffRoad SR5
    URD Stage 3 SC. 35" duratracs LT
    I am running 3" lift 285s and full blown stage 3 URD SC set up with no sway bar. I just drive fast in straight lines and have a blast in the mountains on trails.

20. Oct 1, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    FriscoChl

FriscoChl Active Member

Member:
    I was thinking of removing mine when I swap my spacer lift for 5100's, w/ stock springs, In a couple weeks. (already ordered, stupid backorder...). I only do around 95 / 5 on road vs off road. But I had a lifted XJ with no bars and drove that for 3 years, never even thought about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top